Spartans Home

Windows explorer 9 search redirectior

Athlon64~SPARTA~

Wow, got hitt buy a new one, a explorer search redirectior. Seems to screw with window security center as well messing up auto updates making the DEP center shut down, and not letting some of the windows updates install. Any one else seen this yet? I got it fixed, took me a hour or so, but done.

Seems the little scrunched faced pointdexters are hard at work still trying to screw up our day. Looks like they are getting better at it managing to mess up explorer in vista.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I have a boot-CD containing Windows XP and a variety of different recovery and anti-virus tools. I have yet to find a problem that can't be fixed in a couple minutes with it--even rootkits can be cleaned in no time at all. If you don't have one already, I'd look into making one.

Since they run from the CD, they are isolated from the main O/S, and the O/S remains inactive, which means any programs that rely on the O/S to hide them (i.e. rootkits) will be plainly visible to the boot-CD's antivirus (whereas it'd be hidden from the antivirus running on the actual PC).

It also comes in handy when you can no longer boot into the main O/S, i.e. when a virus corrupts your registry hive. Had that happen to me in the past, with the boot CD it was a simple matter of transferring the backup registry hives over and rebooting.