Spartans Home

Multi GPU - SLI - Crossfire - Micro stuttering GPU's is incurable

NoScream~SPARTA~

Micro stuttering GPU's is incurable

Aug 2011

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,review-32256.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,631668/Video-proof-Micro-stuttering-may-destroy-the-performance-gains-from-current-multi-GPU-technologies/Practice/

Looks like is you go with (and I have in the past) SLI / CROSSFIRE or Dual GPU single solution cards, AMD/ ATI & NVIDIA can promise you one thing, 'Micro stuttering' just when you don't want it (while playing games).

Looks like the only solution is a very powerful single GPU, which generates a smoother stream of frames.

REMEMBER this when recommending multi GPU Solutions to friends....

The performance of three- and four-way CrossFire setups not only surprised us, but also managed to utterly convince us that micro-stuttering doesn't have to affect your multi-GPU configuration. For some reason, the third GPU almost always eliminates micro stuttering and has a less-pronounced effect on performance. At least in the games we ran, the fourth GPU is more eye candy than anything, and its contribution is minimal.
From the last page just need to spend more money.

My 2x 6950s have a bit of and issue with this but not much and only with a few games.

I have been on CF with 2 4850 for almost 2 years and I didnt have any issue, or may be I didn t even notice it.

Only reason why I moved to a 6970 (6950 modded to) was an amazing deal on a moddable 6950, removing 2 cards and having 1 performing better and better stability on drivers.

So far my single 6970 didn t come short on any game at max quality.

I am sure it will not let me down on BF3 either.

In the past a CF or SLI config was in need to achieve decent performances at max quality. Today with the new GPU class 6xxx or Nvidia 5xx I dont see any reason to go Dual anymore.

I have a 5970 and it has always stuttered. This often manifests itself as a clicking noise but it make some games unplayable (BFBC2). I will buy a 580 GTX in November.

I feel guilty that I advised you but the fault in my recommendation was simple, I play few games, one being BC2 which did show stuttering and then not, in the end up it got worse with later updates to drivers. RUSE & SUPREME COMMANDER showed no stuttering. I'll bare that in mind for future advise. One thing is guaranteed, the normal user going from single to dual GPU in single card format or twin cards is going to be experiencing STUTTERING.

As the article in Tom's Hardware points out, it's the inconsistent timings of the GPU's that create the problem, that's why you may not see it with some games and it comes and goes in others. Long and short of it all is, DON'T BUY MULTI GPU Graphics in 2011 unless you wanna play Russian roulette with problems.

As most of you know I had a dual 5970 configuration which I exhaustively tried to make work. I finally tossed in the ATI towel and crawled back to Nvidia. Not only were the micro stutters an issue, but the driver support or lack thereof just wore me down. Prior to my dual 5970's I was running dual 4870 X2's (another 4 GPU configuration) which I only updated from because they did not support DX11.

I am enjoying solid out of the box performance once again from my GTX 590 (yes another dual GPU) which I do not experience micro stutter with, it may be there but I do not see it. My fallback rig has dual 5870's and i do see it there.

EDIT:

I think it is important for me to add that the only reason I went with a dual GPU's is that your not able to achieve a tri-panel configuration in the Nvidia world without dual GPU's.

Edited by Hajimoto