Spartans Home

Need new mobo

peter~SPARTA~

That does not answer if its worth to move to DDR3 and new mobo

As for power. I do have power strip and have research some UPS solution couple weeks ago as we had power outages for 1 sec coming every day around 8pm.

But it i was not a issue in US and my PC behave same way. I was living in other town 2 months ago and my PC had same issues.

I ordered OCZ Danziboy suggested

THX guys

now shopping fro mobo and mby memory, i will sell my current ram to offset costs

I got fix on Gigabyte GA-EG41MFT-US2H motherboard, if i change my ram to DDR3 8GB , box should be faster then with DDR2 pc6400?

DDR3 in two lumps is normally slower than DDR2 in two lumps, the whole concept of DDR3 was triple channel (3 lumps running together) as the CAS times are higher.

DDR3 in dual channel is like a poor man's way of having the latest word (DDR3) in their systems with the worst trade off from DDR2 tech.

If you were upgrading a mother board then the route for only dual channel would of been to stay with FAST CAS RATED DDR2.

DDR3 is faster then DDR2 per channel...... The whole concept of DDR3 is it is FASTER (Higher Data Rates due to higher Frequencies)....

But as for peters question I would say suck it up till your ready to upgrade your CPU/MOBO/Ram. Adding DDR3 to a 775 Chip really wont have any huge gains.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats good to hear peter.

Just wanted to fallow up on the UPS, the reason I asked is cause PC's dont like power outages at all, or surges. Components can be damaged easily, PSU's have some safety margin in them but not 100%. Also if you loose power at just the right moment you could corrupt your HDD. Its also funny to be gaming and then all of a sudden you hear the beep from your UPS and notice the lights are all out in the neighborhood and your still gaming :allgood:

"Remember only you can prevent PC Withdrawal"

First. Dont buy super cheap. The cheap models dont filter line fluctuations well at all. When it comes right down to it these are Inverters connected to batteries. Cheap inverters are just like Cheap PSU's. The difference is if you maintain them they can last for 5+ years. Ive had one UPS for over 10 years now. Changed batteries once in it.

Well, you need a unit rated to run everything you want to hook to it. The wattage rating is the thing you need to look at, that's the max wattage it can maintain. So if your system draws 400 watts and you buy a 250 watt unit, things might get nasty.

Since your only asking for 1-5 minutes I will stick with the small brick type units.

CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series CP825LCD 825 VA 450 Watts 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected 4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS Its rated at 450 watts, but when you look closer "Midrange PC with 19" LCD (300W) - 5 min." so 5/60*300=25 watts So its got a 30-35 watt battery in it. So you would get about 3 minutes of time at 450 watts. Its not bad for $85. And in a few years when the battery dies you can change it for around $30-40.

I have experience with APC, and whoever makes the GeekSquad UPS's. Out of the 2 APC models I have this one is my favorite, had it for around 10 years and changed the batteries ($80 for the pair) about 3 years ago. I gamed for about 15 minutes after a hurricane blew the lines down a few years back, spent more time talking to people in the game about the storm then I did actually doing anything ingame thou lol. APC's arent cheap but you can sometimes get them onsale, I bought mine at a local Sam's Club onsale.

So recap.....

1. Dont buy cheap unless its a decent model on sale.

2. Make sure its rated for your wattage needs.

3. Make sure it has voltage regulation. Cheap units don't clean up the power so its varies.

4. Research the battery. Chances are if you keep it long enough you will need a new battery. Also helps to know how much power it has so you know when to power down. And if batteries are really cheap/crappy they will fail sooner.

Most good units have a pc connection of some type so thay can auto shutdown the pc.

There is a good number of brands at newegg but many dont have any reviews and the Specs are hard to find which worries me. Like this scary "Gaming Series"

Edited by Donziboy2

We use APC UPS' at work and they're pretty damn good. We have an APC Back-UPS Pro rated for 1000W (like the one Donzi linked, just a bit more powerful) on each of our PCs. I even managed to snag a server-rack UPS for use at my home and it supports 1500W and can run my gaming PC for 1-2 hours. Or, it can run my modem/router for a few days like it did when my power went out this past week (though cable eventually went out too so I didn't even get to use up the entire battery).

And like Donzi said, it rocks when your power flickers and you can keep on playing your game. And if it goes out completely you'll have plenty of time to save.