Spartans Home

Current Events

This is not all that uncommon, UK or otherwise. People don't really watch the news anymore, nor do they care. It's very easy to become absorbed in our own lives to not notice what is happening around us these days. Despite the advancements in technology and the nearly instant communication of news stories, most of this technology is used for our own selfish means. The important things get buried in a mess of unimportant distractions.

http://www.amazon.com/Shallows-What-Internet-Doing-Brains/dp/0393339750/ref=pd_ybh_11?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16ESQ0J3N9KJC203GWC5

This is not all that uncommon, UK or otherwise. People don't really watch the news anymore, nor do they care. It's very easy to become absorbed in our own lives to not notice what is happening around us these days. Despite the advancements in technology and the nearly instant communication of news stories, most of this technology is used for our own selfish means. The important things get buried in a mess of unimportant distractions.

http://www.amazon.com/Shallows-What-Internet-Doing-Brains/dp/0393339750/ref=pd_ybh_11?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16ESQ0J3N9KJC203GWC5

Thanks for that link--I just downloaded the Kindle version to my phone. How could I pass on a book with that title? I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE 'NET IS DOING TO MY BRAIN!

Of course, my post was intended to give people a bit of a chuckle--even the person involved obviously thought their ignorance on the subject was somewhat amusing. But Rooster does have a good point: it's somewhat disturbing to think that an event such as this can go unnoticed by someone living just down the road from where it is happening. I would imagine--or at least hope--that this is generally the exception, not the rule.

P.S. I've been up far too long as I write this; I have no idea if I should be hopeful, cynical, or apathetic.

A city with over 10 million people with a 100 weirdo's "rioting" is hardly "your country is on fire"....ofcourse it is news and theres always someone that just doesnt watch the news.....

I had the same with California wildfires. Each time something happen in California. Media in my home country make "news" about huge wildfire" devastating CA. My family just to call me and ask about this disaster.

Well, for locals it was just another fire, nothing special, nothing to worry about.

A recent conversation I had with a Steam buddy regarding recent world events:

** EDIT ** It's worth noting that this person lives perhaps 40 miles from London.

40miles in the UK is a fair distance away, Leeds --> Manchester 40miles, width of the uk at narrow point 90 miles.

UK is a small island in comparison to anything in the Americas, a riot 20 miles away might aswell be in another state in the USA.

Total riot was around 200-300, 160+ arrested, several streets affected in a district of London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan

USA analogy:

New York's Five Boroughs (Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island) has a population of approx 7-8 million similar to London (7 million), imagine a riot down at Queens involving 200-300 people looting & rampaging....

that's about it...

The media love to blow up a story as if it was the End of the world, total carnage, apocalypse, The end of civilization... you can guess how the media works, social news, seems to have let this one by as it affected a small area within a borough of London.

Those were the days: When we ruled the world...... poor poor little (bird), island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_British_Empire.png

The_British_Empire.png

Having been under canvas for two days, this was new to me too. I knew of the original police shooting that acted as the trigger but nothing of the subsequent riots.

Having said that, it's why I go camping, to get away from the drudgery of daily life. Even with my smart-phone I have only checked on the footy score and local weather.

I'm trying to believe that the media is really cranking this up. They always do. But I'm reading that they are still going and areas outside of downtown are basically boarding everything up and trying to save their homes and businesses because its growing still. this is also based on accounts from london residents, but who knows.

Anyone have any new news or is the media still playing this up.

I'd agree that the news is getting A: More convoluted everyday and B: getting more distant from us. Most of what I hear about is third-hand from friends and co-workers (1: Events feed 2: The News who informs 3: Friends). THat's caused by a lack of television, and a lack of drive to read news online.

Heck, just watching/reading news gets me depressed. Intentional ignorance is bliss.

Edited by AJsarge

"Heck, just watching/reading news gets me depressed. Intentional ignorance can be rather stress-free."

^^ The problem.

While I agree that yes, most news sources are skewed and manipulated for a better story, that doesn't mean we should tune it out. Whether people like it or not, the world is on fire right now. Ignoring it is only worsening our situation. The world needs more people that are awake and aware of everything going around them, particularly in the political arena. We've been living far too long in blissful ignorance and the time for awareness and action is now. If we wait any longer, or simply give way for others to do the work for us like in the past, nothing will change and the world as we know it today will be a distant memory. Tyranny isn't something that happens overnight. It plucks away at freedom ever so slowly and subtly for tens, perhaps even hundreds, of years. well, America, Europe, and much of the world is at a tipping point. Either radical change is needed in the way people think, vote, and pay attention, or we will find ourselves in quite a pickle in less than a decade.

EDIT: I know this rant has little to do with the subject of the riots and the killing of a man in the UK, but FP brought up a severely worrisome flaw in modern thinking, whether it was intentional or not.

Edited by Rooster90

well even though i live in london i will admit only know about all of this this after noon when reading facebook status about todays riots, admitly i have been drunk for most of the past few days.

but from what i hear from my mates that live nearer the riots today that there is a lot of loting and cars gtign set of fire, which is quite bad for london but i dobut come any where near the riots uve seen in the news latley from the middle east

aparently the viloence is spreeding to burniham and liverpool BBC LIVE NEWS UPDATE if any one is intrested in following it

on the funny side of things ive herd of a woman geting arrested for lotting.... the shop she worked in..... in her uiniform

262883_248810415140441_248810008473815_902201_6129524_n.jpg

and people seen trying on shoes and clouthes before lotting them

185372_241684309196211_241683352529640_802843_3357593_n.jpg

if im honest i think people just taking advantage of the situation and are just stealing stuff

283203_210620748986731_210620545653418_493608_1201774_n.jpg

and arnt all master crimnals and upload it to twitter

Edited by adder360~SPARTA~

if im honest i think people just taking advantage of the situation and are just stealing stuff

Completely agreed. The point is that human nature is mostly focused on the own ego. That people live widely in so called harmony is only the result of law and order enforced through institutions like the police. Without it people would get killed for 20 bucks.

I don´t want to imagine what will go on if the whole system collapses and law and order can´t be enforced because there is no money left to pay policemen anymore...

I think it was Medic who once said that people in Online games are 70% criminal scum and only 30% normal. I just think that in real life there would be the same amount if they would be allowed to...

well even though i live in london i will admit only know about all of this this after noon when reading facebook status about todays riots, admitly i have been drunk for most of the past few days.

but from what i hear from my mates that live nearer the riots today that there is a lot of loting and cars gtign set of fire, which is quite bad for london but i dobut come any where near the riots uve seen in the news latley from the middle east

aparently the viloence is spreeding to burniham and liverpool BBC LIVE NEWS UPDATE if any one is intrested in following it

on the funny side of things ive herd of a woman geting arrested for lotting.... the shop she worked in..... in her uiniform

and people seen trying on shoes and clouthes before lotting them

283203_210620748986731_210620545653418_493608_1201774_n.jpg

Kids & their parents, where does responsibility start & stop.

I can't believe they were allowed to burn an entire building down to the ground. But, watching some of the BBC reporters talk about the original incident, it's not surprising.

I guess this is London's Rodney King moment.

This is the problem with making comments without reading the words.

They were NOT allowed to burn down an entire building, they burned it down. No one gave them permission or the right.

Adder is right, this is nothing to do with any prejudice action, retaliation for a shooting, it's all opportunistic theft, looting, violence and a hijacking of a legitimate protest for information.

It's sad Dave that the rioters are mainly 12-18 year old minors (kids) but that they are using blackberry messaging (because of the high encryption) to coordinate the acts of damage & looting.

All the videos on YT & BBC show acts of theft/ looting & damage, nothing about protest of the death of a person by police last week.

Stupidly, those items will be used by the thieves & some will be ebayed for cash, a new form of living.

Twitter, facebook, blackberry should all help police to track them down, now the rioters have threatened RIM (blackberry).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/blackberry/8691479/London-riots-BlackBerry-workers-threatened.html

The only benefit I can see will be that all those involved that are caught will have criminal records incl. finger prints, biometrics, DNA on file for the next 20 years. What a sad thing for them for along time to come... imagine their chances to get a job with that on top of all the other reasons not to have responsibility & work.

Tonight will be day 4, will the uk police be ready? I think not... They are too soft (or should I say, their bosses are too soft).

Over 500+ arrests in London alone.

Fire map of London

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=207192798388318292131.0004aa01af6748773e8f7&msa=0&ll=51.558503,-0.055275&spn=0.114195,0.298691

Watch this kid get helped up, only to be....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8690402/London-riots-thugs-filmed-robbing-injured-bleeding-boy.html

Much like the rodney king riots here, the initial cause is used as an excuse for the devil to come out in people. If the economy gets a lot worse over the next year or so, any moderate to large city in many parts of the world will explode.

from wat ive been seeing its spread to outher citys but i havnt seen to much happening in london tonight,

anouther picture from yestoday

368532754.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1312916129&Signature=ZU9X4h%2FamAYbUX%2B0ZokE0k5QGvg%3D

the shop the girl is lotting crisps from is where every thing costs £1 ( $1.6)

Trouble is, it is not night yet, Darkness is at: 21:00

Let us know what happens after that.....

Interesting to see the staggered formation from the police. How they fell back and stuck together, although it was very disconcerting to see them get run back like that. They should take the playbook of the Romans and how they used to deal with unorganized gaggles like this.

One thing that I've noticed over the past few videos....there's not a single civilian out there on the side of the police. Meaning, they're not helping out. Counter protestors, if you will. I can see how that could be dangerous, as they could end up being pinned between the police lines and the mob, but I think if a big enough size of them got together to help stop this, it would make a huge difference. Civilians taking back their streets, a dream I know. :United_Kingdom:

This may seem harsh to our Brothers across the water but I see no reason any of those aggressors with any form of weapon wood, metal & ect should not have been

dealt with in a deadly fashion if it was in your house would you let someone do this ..no so what is the difference as it is now anarchy rules.

Where is the local National guard?

Unfortunately the UK is highly restrictive on (defensive) firearms. While there may be some merit to this philosophy, I'd rather have the general public access/rights to firearms than only police and criminals. We'll see how this whole thing shakes down, but the fact that its gone this far is a little worrying.

Stay strong UK brothers/sisters. We here in America fully support your police and hope and pray order will be restored in London very soon. <3