Spartans Home

Diablo 3 Will Require Players to be Online When Playing

MedicSN6

Apparently modding is not really going to be encouraged either so they say: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-mods-expressly-prohibited-by-blizzard/

To be honest I don't think i'll buy the game since they announced the whole online requirement for singleplayer. I'm of the opinion that singleplayer should always be accessible offline where possible to take into account those with a choppy internet connection or those using laptops to play on the go.

It becomes particularly galling when it gets to the point where those who pirate such a game have a better user experience than those of us who would legally have bought it.

Here endeth the rant :ranting2: .

Annoying, yes. But when I think about it, I never liked playing Diablo on my own. I pretty much never played it unless I had a friend or 3 to play it with. And I don't have a laptop. So the online requirement doesn't bother me as much as it does most people.

Haha. I like how in the comments about the auction house people claim that it ruins the game for them.

If you don't like it, then don't use it. Then it has absolutely zero effect on you. People just have to moan about something.

- JHunter

Uhh....really?....what if you get beat by the guy with the most money in every freaking game you play,you wouldnt moan?.....fuck skillzzz man,you got money you're the best!.......right.....

Except Diablo isn't really a PvP-oriented game. Very rarely have I ever just pubbed with random people, thats dumb in Diablo. I always just play with friends. So none of that really applies at all. I agree with JHunter. I know I likely wont ever use it and none of my friends will. So I have nothing to worry about or tempt me.

Noob, I'm assuming you're talking about PvP. Which, I never took part in to start with.

Even if you choose to play PvP, which has not at all been the game's focus (at least in the past, can't speak for D3), you have to accept this is going to be an issue. Whether or not Blizzard provides a "safer" way to purchase these high level items or not, there will always be people selling stuff one way or another.

- JHunter

If EA would create a game where you had to be online to play mp or single,you can buy and sell stuff and where mods are forbidden!!; civil war would break out! i guess Blizzard still has credit because....uhh i dunno...

Allowing people to sell and buy to be "better" is not only lame....its a total game\MP killer...its one of the most #$%^@& up "innovations" in gaming,one that hopefully will lead to franchise-suicide.

But see, that's completely different. You're talking about a competitive/PvP game being imbalanced due to somebody having more cash. Diablo isn't inherently a competitive or PvP game, so there's no real balance issues to cope with. Simply the bragging rights of having cool gear, which is pretty harmless imo. I don't complain when people buy Gold tanks in World of Tanks. The Lowe is a prime example of this, but it doesn't utterly ruin the game at all (granted, thats a F2P game, but whatever). There's nothing to imbalance in D3 with little to no competitive/PvP scene. Plus they stated that every item has a level cap to reach before you can even purchase them. So you still have to play the game to reach the level of good items. You can't just buy and equip the best items right off the bat. It's also a feature that you (and likely most people) will completely ignore, thus not ruining your game experience at all. It's a choice to use it or not, so I don't see how this will bother the vast majority of average players that likely wont use it. I honestly don't see how this will affect the game at large. The small group of niche players that want the best (and play the most) will buy it and play with other like-minded hardcore gamers. The world at large may buy a nice item here or there or nothing at all. Me personally though, I ask myself what's cooler: bragging that I bought a rare item, or bragging that I fought in an epic battle and acquired an awesome item through blood, sweat, and virtual tears?

Also, mods are forbidden in most online-based EA games(BF3). That's a different argument though, not one I'm addressing.

Blizzard learned from WOW that there is a huge following of players that play 1v1, 3v3 and 5v5 competitive PVP battles (see here). D3's PVP was icing on the cake for me and I was seriously interested in the PVP aspect until the announcement of the auction house. The auction house will completely destroy PVP for this game as it does nothing but validate what i have said about MMO's for years "He with the most time and money, wins". As a former longtime WOW player and versed PVP 3v3 and 5v5 player, knowing that I will face twink teams or L33T groups that will buy the best gear in the game while I and my friends enter the arena with our weak common drop gear, doesn't excite me as a fair playing field.

What made D3 awesome was the random drops and random dungeons that my buddies and I explored together, so for me D3 without the PVP is really all I want anyway. As for the must be online to play, I am not sure about you guys but i am absolutely fed up with trying to have fun gaming without being exposed to freaking cheaters. Every first person shooter we try and play is ruined by these aim botting, wall hacking ass hats, I for one applaud the fact the Blizzard is trying to stop the hacking and cheating that was absolutely out of control in D2. The auction will all but eliminate the non stop flood of adds that existed in D2's lobbies as well.

If playing D3 means I will have to be online to play then guess what, D3 will be a game that I will have to be online to play! LOL. I mean waiting for weeks for a table at Spago's in LA is because the food IS that good and the clientele even better, I say "D3, table for two please!" Num Num Num thumbsup_anim.gif

Tbh, I didn't even know there was a crowd for PvP in Diablo. I only dueled once and thought it was boring. I'd rather just unravel the epic story and dungeon crawl for hours with friends. To me, that's what Diablo is all about. I don't like too much WoW influence coming into this cherished title. They already put me off by the bright colors and cutesy artstyle, but I'm trying to look past that and accept it as the best Diablo yet.

If EA would create a game where you had to be online to play mp or single,you can buy and sell stuff and where mods are forbidden!!; civil war would break out! i guess Blizzard still has credit because....uhh i dunno...

Allowing people to sell and buy to be "better" is not only lame....its a total game\MP killer...its one of the most #$%^@& up "innovations" in gaming,one that hopefully will lead to franchise-suicide.

See IDK I have kinda mixed views on it. For the most part I think that if it's balanced as far what can be purchased and the advantage that it gives, that an auction house can be a great tool to help level the field between those with unlimited time to play and people who have full time jobs, families, etc etc and can't invest tons of time into it. I do however recognize that keeping something like this balanced and useful as apposed to just being a way to spend money and have the biggest E-penis is rather tough and rarely done right.

As far as D3 is concerned I have to admit that I never played the first 2 much past beating the SP and moving on. My index finger only has so much stamina. Plus I had friends who spent every waking moment clicking away in their room and had a good example presented of what I didn't want to happen to me.