Spartans Home

1.7_2 Wheat Harvester

MedicSN6

Now that we have a new server that is classic style (no spawning) we have to worry about our health a lot more than we have recently. To provide food for our travels one of the best and most efficient ways is to build a wheat harvester.

Multiple platforms of hoed dirt with a water source at the top and a one way flow trough at the bottom to push your items. Simple enough.

I built such a contraption and I have found that it doesn't harvest nearly the amount of wheat and seeds as it used to. From 7 tiers of dirt by four blocks, I only received 4 wheat and 5 seeds. It should have been 28 of each at least. Interestingly enough, if I manually harvest, I get the normal amount.

Notch and crew must have changed something in the last patch to make it not worth doing for the harvesting part. I will argue though that it is still worth doing. I am using the water flow to keep the dirt wet, which makes planting possible and then manually harvesting my wheat. Not really a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it in case others were thinking of doing the same.

EMT's (and mine, made mostly by him) farm seems to be rather efficient for small-scale farming. I gather somewhere in the range of 30 wheat, as well as plenty of seeds to replant. Check out EMT's farm and ask him about how he makes his.

CORRECTION: 41 Wheat and 60 seeds. And that wasn't a full planting either. The next one will be though, so I'll have more numbers in soon. The only downside to mine is that i sacrificed harvesting convenience for looks. When the water runs through my farm the a lot of the contents spill out the side instead of filtering to the bottom. this is due to half blocks/slabs being used as walkways instead of full blocks.

Edited by Rooster90