Spartans Home

Dead Power Supply

MedicSN6

I came home Saturday Night and found that my Rosewill Extreme RX850 850W power supply had died. I shut the machine down that morning and sometime during the day it just completely failed. I'm not sure what happened. I swapped in a spare 400W to see if the machine would boot up or at least post, and it worked fine.

Yesterday I stopped by BestBuy and picked up a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W PSU (same PSU with a name change)and installed it last evening. I have been watching temps and voltage levels and it looks like it is working very well. A small bonus is that it is modular, but I have my doubts about multiple connections. We'll see.

I thought about opening the Rosewill PSU up and see if it is maybe one or two components that are burnt and maybe I could replace them myself with better components, but it occurred to me that I have only had it for two years and normally warranties on PSUs are good for 3-5. I checked the website and it said 3 years, so I sent and RMA request email and with in 15 minutes I had reply emails from both Rosewill and Newegg with RMA number and shipping instructions. I will need to pay for the shipping, but $10 for a replacement and to have as a spare for another machine is awesome.

I am sending it out tomorrow.

The moral of the story is to check your warranties and register your purchases if needed.

Yep, my Antec PSU failed a few days ago and I've already got an RMA number and am going to ship it out soon. I've already bought a new PSU though, this one with a 7 year warranty, and it's damn nice. I'll probably use the refurbished Antec for another PC.

Also, I wouldn't open up a PSU personally. Just because it isn't plugged in doesn't mean it's safe--the capacitors in those bastards are huge, and will kill you if you aren't careful. So unless you know how to properly drain a capacitor, I'd leave it to the manufacturer to worry about.

I had an OCZ fail after two years. I sent it in and they gave me a brand new one. I also went to Best Buy to get a PS for my gaming rig when I put in a second video card. An 800w Corsair. Nice unit. I would NOT open a power supply. You would need to be very lucky if you could identify a "burned part". A failed component may look just normal. Then you need a power supply tester. Then gamble with your entire computer to test it out fully. Not worth it.