Spartans Home

The Witcher 2 - anyone?

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hey there :)

so, jumping on a new neverending RPG adventure as the Witcher :) Man, this game was amazing on the first edition, the second iteration i just hope stands at the same level :)

I have been playing for 2 - 3 hours now and I have a few preliminary comments:

- 1 - It looks Amazing. Wonderful graphic and attention to minimal particulars. A lot of cinematic (I do like that, because makes me feel like I am interacting with a great movie), great voice acting and bold action and sexiness. As for the first title, there are nude scenes, mature content so definetely is not your "average" RPG.

The story is at the moment on Prologue, it has a very smart way to develop the events to let you comfortably slide in to the contemporary story, understanding what happened while we ere "not connected".

- 2 - It has Massive Hardware demands. I am running it at Max settings, exception for a "Ubersampling" option disabled, which I read around and really is an exagerating sampling, not necessary. It could work on Hajimoto machine tho :)

This game push your Graphic to a new extreme anyway. My 6970 which is normally hopping quite quitely and coll on the majority of other games, is "Roaring" the power of its fan to keep it rolling. My PC transforms in a Jet engine to keep up with the high demands of this game and keep the GPU at a decent temp. In fact, temp is ok, but at noise cost.

- 3 - I am suffering random crashes while playing. Usually after 30 minutes or so. The nature is just random. Interesting it doesn t seem related to a specific grafic uber stress, because I never crashed during a combat action, which is full of graphic power. It happened to crash on quite soft screens, like the Inventory or the Charachter skill page, which I do not even think are using 3D. I can t recreate the event, so I can t focus on a reason.

I updated to Cat 11.6 understanding there was a previous Hotfix just related to Witcher 2, so it should part of the new driver anyway.

If any ATI user is playing The Witcher 2, please report if you have any weird crashes, I d like to dig the issue better.

Besides this tech issue (I have a feeling it would not hit a Nvidia user... ), this is an outstanding game I can suggest to any RPG Hardcore out there :)

Yeah, before my PC had a heart attack, I was playing Witcher 2 quite often. It's a fun game, and this is coming from someone who doesn't typically enjoy RPGs.

Just make sure you hi F5 a lot. And I mean a lot. I hate when I forget to quick save for a while and then--SUPRISE! Unexpected boss battle! Now I'm dead and have to play that 30 minutes over again. Sometimes the game will autosave for you before such events, but not always. So quick save often.

And Batwing, I have not experienced many crashes (though I have experienced random minimizing, which isn't too big of a deal). So it does sound like an ATI driver problem I expect.

Yes, indeed F5 is my best friend!. In fact my worst enemy is not really the possible new Monster bihind a corner, although that one also is challenging sometimes, but mostly this totallunexplicable major crashes i have every once ina while.

It s a major crash requiring a full reboot, therefore the F5 is really important to not lose long chunks of gameplay.

I have to investigate on Internet what this issue can be due to, because honestly is quite annoying.

Now, after several repetitions, i can say it always happenson a 2D screen, any sort of inventory, trading, management, whatever.