Spartans Home

EVE: The Next Star Wars Galaxies?

Rooster90

Looks like things are really going down the tubes fast for CCP's public image. First the leaked newsletter describing their intent to betray their subscribers with gameplay-altering (non-vanity) items sparked widespread riots across EVE, most notably in Jita.

Now, a leaked email form a head CEO basically giving all subscribers a big "F You" to what they say or think.

http://www.evenews24.com/2011/06/25/ccp-hilmar-global-email-shows-the-reasoning-behind-ccp-zulu-devblog/

Glad I resisted a purchase. Promptly uninstalled and forgotten about for good.

lol....

It's all a marketing ploy, they are after media for free, why? because dust is coming & EVE Online is going 3d FPS MMO in Game, to get the coverage would cost, controversy makes it for free......

No one forces anyone in EVE / CCP to spend or buy anything, therefore the whole protest is mute.....

The game costs $15 a month to play if your a lazy sod or $0 if you earn 300-400M ISK (the ingame credit) and buy game time with it, in effect PLAY FOR FREE (as long as your contributing to the environmental play).

I run 4 accounts and the only thing that bugs me is random client disconnects, which might be CCP/ My ISP or the client..

anyway looks like someone is talking about it all..........

Remember! , even the GULF of MEXICO eco disaster actually made BP money !!! and got them 100's of hours of global media awareness ....

BP are known around the world and have signed a massive deal with RUSSIA this year straight after the MEXICO thing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12195576

Return to profit

BP had a terrible 2010 with the Gulf of Mexico spill, which is going to cost them at least $40bn.

But in November BP announced it was back in profit in the three months to September after last quarter' s record loss.

See how bad news becomes more money....

It doesn't seem like the players are mad over the price of the objects or micro-transactions... it's the fact that CCP plans to make game-breaking, play-to-win items available for purchase in the future, effectively giving players with more disposable income IRL an unfair advantage. And on top of that they're doing it without community consent and complete disregard for their customer's opinions. They have people in the highest levels of the company telling the devs to ignore anything and everything the player's say and just keep on keeping on in the name of more money. It's absolutely their right to do so as a company, but I think a lot of players will find this behavior unacceptable and will leave the game, something that is already happening. People are unsubbing in droves.

EDIT:

Favorite comment about the whole fiasco so far:

"Comedy: Players of a game whose main feature is a free market economy complaining about free market economics."

Edited by Rooster90

After reading the 'leaked email,' my thoughts are

1. People are digging way too deep on this. This is how EVERY company works, not just CCP. They are a business and they worry about the bottom line always.

2. He didn't say that things couldn't change, but they would look at real world data and not the whining of the masses about how expensive things are.

3. IF certain items are more powerful than others and you have to be rich to buy them or have an immense amount of skill points to use them... welcome to EVE, that's how almost everything is.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STAR WARS GALAXIES? - STAR WARS GALAXIES SERVICE WILL END ON DECEMBER 15

Dear Star Wars Galaxies? Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we?ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

ORIGINAL STORY HERE

Lol, this is EVE, anyone who plays eve will understand this. If you have enough money in RL you can just blackmarket and buy best implants neat ship and all the rest. I think that Eve is a universe like ours, where everything is possible, whether you like it or not.

I have two account subscriptions and it is a game that always amuses me.