Spartans Home

Mambo/Joomla

Sopris_EBDA

I am looking at a blog for a friends business, and I have been looking at the Mambo templates on templatemonster.com. My question is about Mambo in general, it is something that would be hosted on your own website or is it hosted on theirs. Also would the address be something like this www.abcd.com/blog, or would it be part of mambos?

The other one I was thinking of was wordpress.

What is your thoughts?

I would be customizing it myself for this person, and all the edits are done in photoshop and dreamweaver

EDIT: I re-read your post and realized you know how to do all of this already. LOL. Personally I would go with a pay for site.

You have to choose. There are free blog sites but generally you have to use their tools and set it up kind of like a myspace page.

Or, you can get web hosting for around 5 to 10 dollars a month if you look hard enough. This is cool because you can do what you want with it and also have a place to host images, files, and your own downloads.

Say you want family and friends to see some pictures. I have found that it is far easier to use FTP that trying to use image shack or other image hosting sites. Plus each of those private image hosting sites keep your image for only so long. Your image will be there till you take it off or you stop paying your bill.

Also with your own private site, you can use CSS templates that are fun and fairly easy to customize to your needs. Check out http://www.freecsstemplates.org Some are designed just for blogs.

Check this list:

http://www.webhostingbluebook.com/

I have globat, and I never even scratch the surface of 3000 Gb bandwidth. Even hosting two sites on it with images and downloads. Its more than enough.

Another upside of your own site is, your own web address like www.sopris.com. The downside is that you will have to know a little about web design. Which with a program like Dreamweaver and some tutorials for it, can be learned in a couple weeks.

But if you want to keep this as cheap as possible. I suggest that you get a myspace or facebook page. they are popular, have good search features and you can add images and video files to them with relative ease. Everything on is customizable with in reason. the downside of myspace is that they might be too popular and almost everyone will see this page. A lot of kids use this because it is relatively safe, save for the pr0n bots.

The bottom line is the options are there. Its all about how much ability you want.

Personally, I would do a myspace first to see if you are really gonna update your blog daily/weekly/ monthly, and then if you really enjoy it. get your own site and just transfer the blogs entries you have already written.

There are even books about blogging at the book store. check them out. Maybe the library at a local college would have one.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~