Spartans Home

Support Good Music: Kauan

Rooster90

As some of you may or may not know, I'm kind of the resident "hipster" when it comes to music. Most all the bands I know and love is some random and obscure band that only a handful of people know about. I'm very particular about my metal, but today I'm presenting something quite different.

It's an ambient/post-rock outfit from Russia called "Kauan". They started out as an atmospheric black metal band, but even on their first EP their softer side could be heard in their sweeping synths and folk/jazz influenced melodies. The EP "Lumikuuro" can still be found on iTunes, though it's rather obvious it was a very tight budget on the production. Something not unheard of in black metal, but their approach was drastically different and more delicate and orchestrated.

Here's a taste:

Their first full-length album was when the band really changed genres almost entirely. However, the transition was rough and ended up being a bit of a flop. I wont really comment on it since I've never actually given it a full listen.

Their second full-length however, is something incredibly dear to me. After "Aava Tuulen Maa" dropped in the fall of 2009 I became completely and utterly obsessed. I bought a limited edition digipak from Finland that came with a bunch of extra little goodies, including a beanie (winter cap) that I still wear today. It's one of those albums that I can't stop listening to halfway through. By the time it's over I want to listen to it again! It was perfect for those long winter drives I make to my drill station almost 4 hours away. I had this album on repeat the whole way through. The only way I can describe how this album feels is that it's almost like listening to the seasons change. It's so subtle and natural and everything flows together perfectly. If you're into post-rock bands like Sigur Ros, definitely check this one out. It's streaming on their facebook right now (but not fully, some of the songs had to be cut short for length).

Best track:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kauanmusic?sk=app_178091127385

However, the real reason I'm posting here today is that his new album "Kuu.." is dropping very soon. As usual, he released one song to stream before release and it sounds to improve on all the things that were criticized on his last album. His voice is being used in a higher register, adding even more to the emotion and delicacy of his music. The orchestrations are even better, the melodies are even catchier and lovelier than before, and his songwriting is unmatched. He's still a very unknown artist, especially in America, but more so because he doesn't do live shows very often, if at all. These albums are his blood, sweat and hard earned money. He deserves every penny he gets from these albums. He barely had enough to push this one through, as he's run into some hard financial times. I've personally sent him money through Western Union and plan to send more. I've already bought the limited edition album + T-shirt (only 24 have been made) from sound-cave.com that was just announced today. Give the new track a listen and fall in love. If I can get even one more person who loves his music, that's all he or I could ever ask for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0THbyOeN9I

Trust me, I never stop digging for new and unheard music. I probably spend more time looking for music than I do anything else. And just when I think I've heard it all, something new (or old) will come to the surface and floor me again.

And yes, the song from their new album is just fantastic. I didn't want it to end! That progression at the end could just keep on playing until the end of time. "Aava Tuulen Maa" caught me off guard and swept me from under my feet two years ago, and Anton looks to do it again in a few weeks. I'm very excited.