Spartans Home

Rooster's OC Experience: The Forum

Rooster90

Well, to put it lightly, I'm a total noob when it comes to overclocking. I know some basics and I understand a few terms, but outside of that this is the first computer where I'm really delving into this. (Refer to my avatar, that will explain how I feel when people start throwing voltages and weird abbreviations at me) I will document my methods and results here, mostly for my own benefit, but also for others' too. Tips and pointers are always appreciated.

Here's my system, all stock settings:

CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz (actually at default it runs closer to 3.5 according to CPU-Z)

Mobo: MSI P67A GD-65

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw-X 8GB DDR3 (dual-channel) @ 1333 MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB

-Graphics Clock: 900MHz

-Memory Clock: 2106MHz

-Processor (Shaders) Clock: 1800MHz

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912. Great, ventilated case and unbeatable price. Highly recommended for those on a tight budget. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

I have sealed liquid cooling system on my CPU and 3 120mm fans throughout my case, one intake on the side and two exhaust (one in the top rear, the other on the very top). My Corsair 850W PSU sits at the bottom of my case.

Liquid Cooler = Asetek 550LC: http://www.asetek.com/products/oem-standard-products/120mm-products/550lc.html

On to the fun stuff. I just uninstalled my video drivers, rebooted in Safe Mode (hit F5 on start-up, selected it in the advanced start-up options) and reset all of my CPU overclocking profiles to the default settings. My mobo comes with a pretty sweet BIOS that's actually a GUI with clickable buttons, making it a much more user-friendly experience. I installed the latest drivers onto my EVGA GTX 560 Ti (275.33 as of this writing).

Nvidia drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

On to some synthetic testing. My first test was to test my CPU stock and my liquid cooling. I'm using a program called RealTemp to monitor all of my core's temps simultaneously. Hajimoto recommended a good stress test called Prime95 for this very purpose. Note I'm using the 64-bit version, the same that my OS is running. For those of you running 32-bit OS's, there is a "related link" on that page for the 32-bit version.

I've run both the "In-place FFT" test (explained as a max temp/power consumption test) and the "Blend test" which tests a little bit of everything. I ran them both about 5-10 minutes each with my max temperature sitting somewhere around 69-70 degrees C. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Intel really did deliver a great line of processors that run exceptionally cool. According to CPU-Z the core voltage is sitting at 1.152.

So far, so good. My CPU and cooler can more than take the heat at stock settings. And not hardly a peep out of my fans. In my next post I will begin GPU tests, both synthetic and "real" at stock settings.

To be continued....

Edited by Rooster90

Here's my system, all stock settings:

CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz (actually at default it runs closer to 3.5 according to CPU-Z)

Mobo: MSI P67A GD-65

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw-X 8GB DDR3 (dual-channel) @ 1333 MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB

-Graphics Clock: 900MHz

-Memory Clock: 2106MHz

-Processor (Shaders) Clock: 1800MHz

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912. Great, ventilated case and unbeatable price. Highly recommended for those on a tight budget. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

[

NICE RIG already ..

have fun ...

(don't hunt on a full belly )

PART 2: GPU stock settings. Synthetic benchmarking/stressing.

I'm using another Haji-approved program for this one. This time, it's the Unigine developed benchmark program called "Heaven".

Direct download here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1961/Unigine_Heaven_DX11_Benchmark_2.5.html

Supposedly this stuff is top of the line stressing for DX11 systems. And if good ole Hajimoto recommends it, I'm definitely willing to give it a go. It's a modest 228MB download, FYI. I will also be using EVGA Precision to monitor my GPU.

Found here: http://www.evga.com/precision/

Idling, my GPU runs at a cool and calm 36 degrees C. Now to begin the Heaven test. I'll also be monitoring my CPU temps, for the hell of it.

Heaven settings:

DX11

Stereo 3D: disabled

Shaders: High

Tesselation: Extreme

Ansiotropy: 16

AA: x8

Res: 1680x1050 (old monitor, still running strong though).

All of these are pretty much the highest settings on the program. Onto the results....

DX11 = BRUTAL

Max CPU temp: 46 degrees C

Gpu temp: ~80 degrees C, fan speed ~50%

Average frames: ~21fps

Score: 582

Ouch. For kicks and giggles, I'll add DX9 and 10 results as well.

DX9 Results:

Max CPU temp: low 40s

GPU temp: ~80 degrees C, fan speed ~55%

Avg frames: 51

Score: 1287

DX10 Results:

Max CPU temp: 46 degrees C

GPU temp: ~80 degrees C, fan speed ~53%

Avg frames: 39

Score: 971

Hmm. Interesting indeed.

To be continued....

Edited by Rooster90

Thoughts and Reflections so far.

I'm not really sure what to think of my Heaven results. I honestly don't know what a comparable system to mine's results should be. They seem pretty low to me, but I can't be sure. Maybe it just means Heaven really is as brutal as they say it is. I still feel like I should have performed better, especially considering my resolution. I also noticed at the end of the benchmark it said this was using 32-bit C++ binaries, even though I'm on a 64-bit system... idk if this means anything or not though. Somebody better versed in the program should clarify this.

What do you guys think? Is this to be expected of this benchmarking program, or is there something sinister going on here?

I've already named one culprit to my problem, and that is my RAM. I got it for a great price, but you get what you pay for. It's clocking in @ 1333MHz stock and has a CAS timing of 9. Meh. But for something like this, you'd think it would be more reliant on the GPU. Refer to my first post for my GPU's stock settings. Even for stock, they're pretty damn good. What else could be going on here?....

I await your thoughts and opinions (if any). I will continue benchmarking my stock system tomorrow.

Edited by Rooster90

Couldnt run dx 11 on my gtx 285 but my dx10 looks to be inline so your about where you should be.

Powered by Unigine Engine

Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic

FPS: 22.6

Scores: 568

Min FPS: 11.4

Max FPS: 42.7

Hardware

Binary: Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 1 2011

Operating system: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit

CPU model: Intel® Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

CPU flags: 3292MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT

GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 8.17.12.7533 1024Mb

Settings

Render: direct3d10

Mode: 1680x1050 8xAA fullscreen

Shaders: high

Textures: high

Filter: trilinear

Anisotropy: 16x

Occlusion: enabled

Refraction: enabled

Volumetric: enabled

Tessellation: disabled

I've had this cpu for so long and after comparing the results here and in Batwings thread i wont be buying a new one for years to come....wth!?

FPS: 39.5

Scores: 996

Min FPS: 19.2

Max FPS: 82.2

Hardware

CPU model: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

CPU flags: 2830MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 HTT

GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 8.17.12.7533 1024Mb

Settings

Render: direct3d10

Mode: 1680x1050 8xAA fullscreen

Shaders: high

Textures: high

Filter: trilinear

Anisotropy: 16x

Occlusion: enabled

Refraction: enabled

Volumetric: enabled

Tessellation: disabled

Confirmed, this is a very good stress test for the GPU, overclocking CPU here doesn t help, instead overclocking GPU may make a difference

Beautiful graphic on this benchmark anyway, I loved the graphic art.

Here is my result

FPS:

Scores:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

Hardware

Binary:

Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 1 2011

Operating system:

Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit

CPU model:

Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

CPU flags:

3500MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT (here it looks I am OCed at 3.5 Ghz, I thought I was at 3.7..)

GPU model:

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 8.850.0.0 2048Mb

Settings

Render:

direct3d11

Mode:

1920x1200 8xAA fullscreen

Shaders:

high

Textures:

high

Filter:

trilinear

Anisotropy:

16x

Occlusion:

enabled

Refraction:

enabled

Volumetric:

enabled

Tessellation:

extreme

EDIT:

I lowered my res to 1680*1050 to give you a comparison. However I notice my Card gives better results at higher res. Of course it cranked up some better numbers, but when you look at only 3 FPS average in difference, at such higher res, the highest is the better here. Which makes me think if you also had an higher res you could have better results as well. it looks like last gen videocards like to push their hp on big screens :)

FPS: 23.8

Scores: 599

Min FPS: 10.6

Max FPS: 52.9

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

I've had this cpu for so long and after comparing the results here and in Batwings thread i wont be buying a new one for years to come....wth!?

Now doesn't that sound familiar??? Learn to trust the Hajimoto.... thumbsup.gif

You have a powerhouse CPU and all that is needed is a fair liquid cooler to help keep things in check when you start to push that thing a bit.

Now doesn't that sound familiar??? Learn to trust the Hajimoto.... thumbsup.gif

You have a powerhouse CPU and all that is needed is a fair liquid cooler to help keep things in check when you start to push that thing a bit.

To be fair,i made that choice cause of you few months ago... otherwise i would have already bought a new cpu,you know i was about to.

But this really acknowledges exactly what you said!<<that sounded proper English when i typed it...anyway....lol

Powered by Unigine Engine

FPS: 69.5

Scores: 1934

Min FPS: 36.7

Max FPS: 159.2

Hardware

CPU model: Intel® Core™ i7-920 CPU @ 2.67GHz

CPU flags: 4395MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT

GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 8.17.12.7533 1536Mb