Spartans Home

Eurocopter X3

Very impressive executive craft. Must be nice to increase the forward velocity of the helicopter without the need to nose down.

Sounded like french at the end..... I do not understand french.

Anyone care to translate because I swear the guy on the left called me an asshole!

Some thoughts.

Having flown in only a Blackhawk (many times) and a Huey (once for fun), my experience with various helicopters is pretty limited, so bear with me.

The forward speed is probably faster than that of a regular helo with a main rotor and tail rotor. Unless the aircraft can stay aloft with only the two side rotors, then this, while very cool looking, seems like a big waste of time and money. A gain in maximum cruising speed versus more energy and fuel usage and lacking the ability to safely dismount or mount the vehicle while the side rotors are moving, plus the addition of another main component to fail (a third rotor) instead of the normal two for this sized aircraft, just doesn't add up.

I am sure this vehicle could probably do International trips but that's what we have planes for.

Overall, I give it is a thumbs up for design, engineering, and coolness factory and a thumbs down for practicality, survivability, and energy consumption when compared to standard helicopters.

It's been jokingly said that a helicopter is nothing more than 10,000 parts flying in close formation which are all trying to kill you. This bird is no exception.

Very cool. I like how they reduced R&D time and money by reusing known stable and good designs.

One thing that would concern me is the amount of spinning blades. I can just see myself walking to the copter and having a "SQUIRREL!" moment, and walking off into one of those puppies.