Spartans Home

DiRT 3

MH6~SPARTA~

I believe BSS Blade was on TS yesterday talking about it. I know he was having some trouble fine tuning his controller sensitivity but pretty sure he did say it was visually impressive. I'm sure he'll have some input when he finds this thread.

- JHunter

I have the game and so far I like it (Ive only played 4 races so far) I had a little problem right out of the gate with the game freezing up between races and @ loading points. This is a know issue apparently but there are solutions on the net. I think I have it solved on my system I will know better when i have more time to play. I play with the g27 and the feedback is SICK my whole desk was shaking so I had to lower the settings ALOT. I could only imagine if I had a stable platform for the wheel. I really can't say more because I don't have much time vested in D3 but so far Im digging it.

Played for a couple of hours last night. As JHunter stated the graphics are of a very high standard and watched my son play so as too take in the visuals better.Plays like a modern Colin Macree Rally. The only issue i have at the moment is as stated the controller of which i`m using a wireless xbox360 controller the sensitivity is quite acute tried setting dead zone to zero and all the way upto 30 but once you loose controll on a corner your toast.Hopefully P Rizz or one of the racing spartas will be able to find a compromise.

DiRT 3 is pretty fun, though I'm still getting the hang of it. Had to tweak the controls a bit to get the car to handle somewhat decently though.

I tested the in-game YouTube feature today, here's the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbF7bwwdu8Y

Game gave it a stupid name and only let me record half-a-minutes worth, but it was kinda cool.

Update: This game is pretty awesome.

I'll say one thing, it looks , sounds and seems to play better on a YT video than the shit called

L.A. Noire I just played from my favourite beta gold platinum testing site.

Anyone going to buy L.A. Noire, your warned, it's crap, because it is repetitive, vehicle handling is very poor, Characters look like they've been to L.A.'s worse ever Plastic surgeon, even Michael Jackson would of had more expressions...

Is someone coming from D2 experience to comapre a bit and say what s different/better here?

I have D2 and I have to say already there graphc and feeling on this racing game is Awesome!

I do not have controllers because i m not a dedicated racer, just occasionally to have some fun. I play barely with keyboard (Iknow it sucks to be me..).

GRID was my all time fav game because at very high difficulty sets I was still able to control cars.

SHIFT was a huge disappointment because doesn t matter what level of difficulty I was setting, there was no way for me to control the drivng experience with a Keyb - Unistaled and trashed it -

D 2 at "serious" settings allows me to have a very enjoyable driving exp with the keyb. Yet difficult but enjoyable, where my mistakes are my mistakes, not unresponsive hardware mistakes.

What D 3 brings to the table as consisten improvement from D 2 ?

Batty..... D2= less influence on rally point to point D3= more influence on point to point. D2 you had to buy cars D3 you are offered TEAM cars D3 has weather, Rain and Snow, D2 did not. Thats it in a nutshell if your not a big racer wait for D3 to go on sale then pick it up and buy a dam controller! lol

The singleplayer is fun, but the multiplayer is where its at. Not so much the rallys (I only do rallys in singleplayer) but the Rally Cross, Transporter, Outbreak, and Land Rush modes.

Transporter has to be the most fun I've had in a game in quite some time. Think Gymkhana (remember those Ken Block videos?), and trying to play capture-the-flag in cars. It's wicked fun. You get 8 people on a server all trying to capture the flag, trying to outrun and outmaneuver each other--drifting under trailers and jumping shipping containers--it's just fucking awesome.

Edit: So if all you want to do is Rally, you'll probably be disappointed. DiRT 3 offers a hell of a lot more than just Rallying (and rallys are pretty dull anyway I find, rally cross is much more enjoyable)

Because I have the luck of a blind Polio infected house cat, DiRT 3 has been a night mare for me. So in typical fashion, Hajimoto went to work, here are my results.

As most of know by now I have a W7 64, i7 rig with dual ATI 5970's. The ATI situation has been a thorn in my side since the purchase, Crossfire issues, driver issues, local electric utility asking me to stop tapping the grids capacity...blah blah blah.

When I purchased DiRT 3 I had already anticipated a driver issue right out that gate, but I never thought that CM would produce a game that was so unstable. After every stage when i would line up for the start, the game would crash to desktop. It was not intermittent either, the crash would happen every time like clock work.

Well wouldn't you know, I stumbled across a few interesting bits of information that may save you DiRTY people some headache.

DiRT Crashes with Core i7 and other 8-Core Processors

The game has only been tested on systems up to quad core level, however you may be able to get the game to work by renaming the file "workerMap8Core.xml" (found in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\grid\system\) to "workerMap4Core.xml"

Dirt 3 is not running well on W7 64 bit.

In short, steam is running in compatibility mode for Vista, un-check the compatibility mode and your good to go!

http://community.cod...tml#post7094444

Today Tuesday May 31, 2011 Steam releases 612MB DiRT 3 Patch.

• Fixed an occasional loading screen hang which could leave the player with a black screen.
  • Fixed a soft lock when removing the Ethernet cable on some screens during a LAN session.
  • Battersea Compound – Parking Lot environment updated to ensure that smash blocks are always present.
  • Resolved specific instances of the player being able to drive into areas of crowd.
  • Corrected a rare issue with online staggered start team events which could lead to incorrect team scoring.
  • Fixed a very rare physics issue which could lead to the player's vehicle falling through the world.
  • Fixed two graphics issues which could lead to a crash when changing resolution or resizing the windowed game to a height of 0 pixels.
  • Resolved an issue preventing Player 2 from re-binding their controls if using a keyboard within a split-screen event.
  • Fixed an issue which, in specific circumstances, could lead to a spectator seeing incorrect progress during a multi-player Transporter event.
  • Minor corrections to track boundary and reset lines.
  • Fixed an issue which will occasionally cause the green 'infected' effect to be applied to the player's car during loading between Outbreak events.
  • 'World Record' and 'Personal Best' symbols now correctly appear within all circuit-based time trial events.
  • Correction to particle behavior during high speed collisions, avoiding any instances of them spawning in the wrong direction.
  • Minor finish line adjustments to avoid the possibility of bypassing them in some routes.
  • Fixed an issue which lead to the driver's hands clipping when in the interior camera 'brace' position.
  • Resolved an issue which would occasionally prevent the 'World Tour' tetras from spinning within the front end.
  • Resolved an issue which could lead to some vehicle cards flickering within the front end vehicle select screens.
  • Adjusted a small number of text references and menu options for the 'VIP Pack', which should be referred to as the 'Free Car Pack' for PC.
  • Various stability fixes.

Please note that there were no ATI changes, so most of the issues I was experiencing may have been due to the W7 64 and Compat issue. I will test and post my results. See ya in the DiRT!!! It might have to be DiRT or DiRT2 LOL.

UPDATE: Game still crashed at the start of the second race or stage. I edited the XML for 8 Core to 4 core.

Going to try the STEAM.EXE in VISTA compatibly mode swap and try again.

UPDATE: STEAM COMPATIBILITY BUG (Right clicking on STEAM.EXE had a permanent checked box but grayed out box)

To fix the issue:

• Hit start->run->regedit
  • Go to key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
  • Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
  • Delete that entry
  • If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Game performance like a dream now....WHEW now I can eat dinner.

Edited by Hajimoto

haj I have the same setup as you except i have 5870's and although i haven't had the major problems as you i still have stability issues with the game crashing every now and again and lagging out while in a race causing me to fly right off the track. Even with this update i still have issues, ive read that forcing Dx9 will solve the issues but this is false for me may work for others though.........update 2 maybe the fix??????? we should all hook up online and do some races....