Spartans Home

It could always be worse...

MedicSN6

Definitely not MN. It's gotta be from Joplin or another town down south.

The Minneapolis damage was laughable compared to what was hit down in MO (I live in Minneapolis btw). A handful of damaged homes, but nothing was completely obliterated.

Definitely not MN. It's gotta be from Joplin or another town down south.

The Minneapolis damage was laughable compared to what was hit down in MO (I live in Minneapolis btw). A handful of damaged homes, but nothing was completely obliterated.

One of my favorite Youtube channels, Yankeeprepper, is from the Minneapolis area. Looks like a good place to live.

56fda3ec-c991-4bc4-92d8-d1b0911d63da.jpg

what the f*kc (remember; luitenant DAN on top off the mast)

450kmph ??

You got to be a light to yourself , in a world that is getting darker everyday ..

Why dont you guys build homes with concrete?....here in Holland the only homes built out of wood are atleast over a 150 years old........i dont know if it matters but....i've always found it weird.

It always pisses me off when i see this happen to an entire midwest town.......and i always think "then $%&$& built with concrete..." and then i think.....im sure it wont matter much,so they use the cheapest materials so they can rebuild the towns faster....but i dont know what the idea behind it is.

I've been watching some of the coverage and it's heartbreaking to see these families come on air and ask for information on their loved ones, only to find out the next day they had passed. One pregnant mother and her three childred got caught in the storm, went to hide in the bathtub, and her 3yr old was missing, the 18mo was deceased, and the 5yr old was the only one who made it. The father was out of town on business, and I'm sure whatever is going on in his head isn't pleasant.

There are varied reasons we don't use concrete to build most of our houses. One thing is that very few here know how to do it.

Many of the soil types and water tables do not permit houses to have a basement, deep foundation, etc. Also, many of the homes built in the US are prefab matchstick buildings due to inflated costs produced by homebuilder's. So most families in the mid-west live in homes that are either old, or new and built from cheap materials. This is a large issue that keeps coming up every time there is a tornado but is then silenced by the home builder associations. We had to fight tooth and nail for roof clips to be added to the building codes adopted in the US. Don't even get me started on residential sprinkler systems. Roof clips are a very cheap system to securely fasten the roof construction of a home to the rest of the structure. However, I can tell you that unless you build a very well engineered concrete structure (usually a dome), an F-5 tornado is just going to destroy it anyways; which is what happened in Joplin. If you want evidence, take a look at the steel and brick hospital in Joplin that wasn't even in the direct path. Not to mention that the wind speeds were able to put a piece of wood through a concrete curb (DAMN!)

This is just a reality of the world we live in here in the US. No one believes it's going to happen to them. And even if they know it will, they can't afford the proper protection anyways. If you're fortunate enough, the best thing to do is get good home insurance, buy a prefab storm shelter, and pray it won't happen in your city.

The truth is, no matter what you do and how much you prepare, sometimes mother nature has a way to make it all worthless.

Many of the soil types and water tables do not permit houses to have a basement, deep foundation, etc. Also, many of the homes built in the US are prefab matchstick buildings due to inflated costs produced by homebuilder's. So most families in the mid-west live in homes that are either old, or new and built from cheap materials. This is a large issue that keeps coming up every time there is a tornado but is then silenced by the home builder associations. We had to fight tooth and nail for roof clips to be added to the building codes adopted in the US. Don't even get me started on residential sprinkler systems. Roof clips are a very cheap system to securely fasten the roof construction of a home to the rest of the structure. However, I can tell you that unless you build a very well engineered concrete structure (usually a dome), an F-5 tornado is just going to destroy it anyways; which is what happened in Joplin. If you want evidence, take a look at the steel and brick hospital in Joplin that wasn't even in the direct path. Not to mention that the wind speeds were able to put a piece of wood through a concrete curb (DAMN!)

This is just a reality of the world we live in here in the US. No one believes it's going to happen to them. And even if they know it will, they can't afford the proper protection anyways. If you're fortunate enough, the best thing to do is get good home insurance, buy a prefab storm shelter, and pray it won't happen in your city.

The truth is, no matter what you do and how much you prepare, sometimes mother nature has a way to make it all worthless.

I know im gonna "sound" like a jerk here,but i googled it and saw that the hospital is the only building still there?!!!!

Dont forget that theres not gonna be alot of wooden projectiles flying around to pierce anything if you dont use wood to build the homes.......

And what is this homebuilders association?...they control how you build your home?

And to be honest,the "mother nature is to strong" reply's are defeatist thoughts,my entire country should not even exist ;it is only by our will that it is one of the largest economy's one of the richest and most fertile places on the world. With craftsmanship,will and financial dedication you can defeat even nature and we have been doing so for 2000 years.

Yankee's reply sounds like one giant "it is what it is" reply,and i hope it is not shared by all the Americans.

Hope i didnt sound to offensive,its hard trying to express yourself in a different language,with poor grammar and a small vocabulary.

I know im gonna "sound" like a jerk here,but i googled it and saw that the hospital is the only building still there?!!!!

Dont forget that theres not gonna be alot of wooden projectiles flying around to pierce anything if you dont use wood to build the homes.......

And what is this homebuilders association?...they control how you build your home?

And to be honest,the "mother nature is to strong" reply's are defeatist thoughts,my entire country should not even exist ;it is only by our will that it is one of the largest economy's one of the richest and most fertile places on the world. With craftsmanship,will and financial dedication you can defeat even nature and we have been doing so for 2000 years.

Yankee's reply sounds like one giant "it is what it is" reply,and i hope it is not shared by all the Americans.

Hope i didnt sound to offensive,its hard trying to express yourself in a different language,with poor grammar and a small vocabulary.

Should all home's be built of steel and concrete? Are all buildings in holland constructed of steel and concrete?

mill_holland.jpg

Have you ever seen a brick fly at 250-325 miles per hour? When was the last time an F5 tornado passed through a residential neighborhood in Holland? did anyone die? is everything still standing? Maybe, I don't know, Holland doesn't have 20-30 tornado touch downs during a 3 month period. Could be it. But probably not. You could stop reading here because I already answered your question (with a touch of sarcasm).

We have been surviving everything mother nature has thrown at us for ever, yes. However, you're answer to this problem, don't use wood, is ignorant and backed by a lack of education in construction, engineering, economics, humanity, politics, physics, etc.

So let me start my thorough explanation of things work in the US since i forgot that people tend to interject irresponsible replies and play the name game without even knowing the basics of what they are talking about.

Homebuilder's associations are the people who spend millions or billions of dollars every year to lobby organizations like the International Code Council and National Fire Protection Association to allow the types of buildings you see around the US. They are the people that build our homes. There are certainly groups of people like you who see that there is the technology available to be mother nature proof. however, they do not have the funds to fight groups like the homebuilder's association nor do they EVER have an answer as to how everyone is going to afford it. How do you fund apartment buildings, shelters, and multi home developments which will require hundreds of thousands of dollars in steel and construction alone with additional engineering and labor. You don't, sorry (Its the defeatist in me).

The average consumer simply cannot afford the costs to build such a structure. You're talking about custom engineering for each structure that is normally pre-fabricated and set on a foundation. So here's how it works: I as a consumer pay a base price for home. I pay every year for insurance which covers such events as a tornado because I realize that I live in an area where they are prevalent. I pay a little more for a prefab hole in the ground which is used to shelter from the dangers of a tornado. Should my house be blown to the heavens due to a tornado, my insurance agent comes out, hands me check and I build again. This is of course the opposite of paying millions of dollars for a concrete dome. What if you live in a flood plain where tornados occur?

Simply stated, you CANNOT build an economical tornado proof structure. It is a fact of life that a tornado will happen at some point in your life if you live in the midwest. We as "americans" know this and do the best with what we have. Am I a defeatist? I don't know maybe. I consider myself more of a realist. How about with all the money I apparently have to build this steel and concrete structure I'll fly you out to Joplin, you can go walk around and tell everyone what a bunch of schmuck's they are for building wood homes for their families instead of holes in the ground.

P.S. this response took me over an hour to write. Why do you think that is?

I just wanted to remind everyone one to please keep this thread respectful. For some of us Tornados have been something that we have simply lived with all our lives and we have come to accept them as part of the cost of living here. For others the only interaction they will every have with Tornados is to watch the movie Twister.

Oh and a room made of ICF would likely be the safest thing for a waiting out a twister

Edited by Steel~Sparta~