Spartans Home

i5-Q9650

Ebden, you should be fine with the Q9650. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but i5 is just Intel's latest branding for quad-cores, which yours & mine (Q9550) are.

Based on the minimum specs listed I'm only planning on a gfx upgrade, which I already have scheduled for BF3.

Wrong fit for me to answer in the previous thread.

The Q9650 is two E8400s stuck together, literally. So it's a quad core built from one of the best dual-cores available.

However, is it really like an i5?

Hey, I'm getting much happier about my upgrade as I check specs.

the i5 represents a nextgen dualcore or quadcore depending on the series name, with L3 caches from 3-8meg.

The Q9650 runs a 12m L2cashe. At a dubber's guess the current gen may be loosely comparable btwx the 8L3 and 12L2.

There's something different about the northbridge, or is it the FSB, that makes them less comparable?

Anyway, going by the numbers and not the definitions (ignoring trivial details such as cache series names, release dates, etc,) then the Q9650 is top-notch at 3.0mhz, 12mbcashe 1333fsb and 95W!

As long as my current cooler can deal with the extra wattage.

I'm in the exact same boat with my Q9550, identical to yours but at 2.83Mhz, unclocked.

The i5's are undoubtably better, next-gen, better memory management and multi thread as well as multi-core.

For me (maybe you, too?) the issue is cost: If I jump to i5 or i7 then I have to replace my mobo and if I did that I ought to consider DDR3, which means changing the memory. It's like the arms race only in a box!

I know that ARMA is CPU intensive but my hope is that an optimised ARMA3 runs well on my Q9550, especially after I clock it up to 3.4Mhz.

As money is tight, upgrades are planned to the nth-degree in the Watchman household and as BF3 will be DX11, that's my first major driver. Inbetween time may come watercooling and a bigger PSU, then eventually SSD's. All of these changes are transferable when I switch mobo/CPU but by not doing it now I am saving £400+.

On top of that logic, I'm also giving serious thought to switch back to AMD, as and when the mobo/CPU change is allowable: The lure of easily affordable hex-cores! :ogle:

Well,

In this project definetely you have to look at budget and durability.

Watchman concept of not change MB + CPU + RAM is correct under budget conditions but when you spend $340 for an old processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-Intel-_-19115130

I wonder if it would be really really better save your moneyand put those 340 bucks on the pile of a new budget for something will last another couple of years.

You can also check at this CPU benchmark list:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/3DMark-Vantage-High,2418.html

I do not believe in benchmarks 100%. They are just bare indicators. there are so many variables you never can expect a machine performing "exactly" like another one. However is also a money indicator.

I would wait. If you cannot sensibly improve your machine to a piece of technology that will be the standard for a few years to come, just don t do it.

LGA 775 is old, MB using the old CH9 northbridge are old, DDR2 RAM is old. You are planning to spend a considerable amount of money today on something is already really old.

If your processor was in a price range of 100 - 150 bucks, I would say "hell do it!"

I mean, really? i7- 2600k = $315

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

i7 950 = $270

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

So, in my opinion, just stand by. Resist the urge of doing "somethng" (I know that urge), plan your purchase, use a credit card if you need and plan your monthly payment, but if you have to do something, do it well.

ellow (small game rig)

i bought the i5 2500k (oc version) cause it was 100Euros cheaper then the i7 2600k and according to some forums the i7 was only 4% better .

(so 4% for 100euros WTF) okay i7 has -8 threads i5 only -4.

Got a good increase on frames with the P8P67 b3 Mobo on i5 2500K .(and was not so expansive about -150Euros )(has DDR3-1600mhz ram 4 of 2gb on a dual channel)

got it running @4500mhz on max idle 1600mhz (vcore 1.36)(good cooler 2fans)(GTX460 GLH version ) (so all not so pricy stuff )

i am vary pleased with it , for this price that is .

BATTY knows greetz

Batwing, I think you may have misunderstood the post. Or I may have misunderstood your reply, apologies if I have.

Neither of us are looking to buy "old tech", we already have it. Ebden has a Q9650 & I have a Q9550.

The question arose out of the ARMA3 system specs & a recommended i5, Ebden was lamenting the potential need to upgrade CPU to play & I was advocating giving our current CPU's a chance first.

If we were looking at moving into quad cores for the first time your advice is, bang-on.

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

Only reason I left 775 was because i had a duel Core e8500 and even at 4ghz it was just not keeping up with some games anymore.

I compared the e8500 at 4ghz to my 2500k stock and it is about 2.4 times faster then the e8500 so it was a far better investment then spending 2-300 on just a quad for an old 775.

And if it starts feeling slow ill take it to 4.4+ghz and be happy again :)

With well over a year before launch and absolutely no clue how optimized (or not) ArmA3 is, I honestly would just start saving now. This, along with BF3, will be one of those games that is worth the full PC upgrade on. Time is on your side and there is no rush to upgrade your PC yet. I'd wait until the full released product is out or if a demo is released (they had demo's for ArmA2 pretty early on) to make a final judgement.

That being said, I'm very happy with my current rig. I'm confident I'll be able to play both BF3 and ArmA3 to a reasonable degree. The only thing I'll be upgrading this year is my GPU and my monitor with it. Next year maybe RAM if I feel like I need it, but it's more than capable atm.

CPU: Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz (OC-ed to 4.0 atm)

Mobo: MSi P67A-GD65

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB DDR3 @ 1300MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti 1GB

Plus some wicked good liquid cooling and a well ventilated case. I could OC my CPU to 4.8 easily, but I have no need. Idk how to OC my RAM or GPU yet, but again, I've yet to have the need.

I usually wait till the game I want comes out, see how it plays, then fork over the cash to upgrade what I need piecemeal. It's worked so far and I haven't really bought a computer part in about a year (except hard drive)

Don't trust Durka, he ain't spent a cent even after the software came out & was shelved, he's still making his mind up.

Trouble is some people like to be prepared from day one and not have the possibility of struggling. If that's where your going, I understand, I like to be prepared, New tech always carries the publicity but sometimes six month old tech can be quite a monster. I built my i7 over 12 months ago, could be close to 2 years (let me check) order history: 29th July 2009, so nearly 2 years ago. Point is, it's still a monster, mashing appz & games, only change I made which I did not need but did anyway because of micro stutter at the time, was replace the ATI dual GPU 5970 BLACK ED. with a NVIDIA 580 CU.

Gloat... Dam memory was cheap then: (my order price).

OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Triple Channel (OCZ3G1600LV6GK) £67.82 2 £135.64

Price paid for 12GB of DDR3 in 2009.

KEEP TABS ON YOUR BABY

You get the 30 day trial of Everest.

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/a64xe

and see if your loading your CPU or GPU during play, Everest overlay can run semi transparent on top of your game window.

I have two other programs I recommend (free)

VM Map

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd535533.aspx

VMMap is a process virtual and physical memory analysis utility. It shows a breakdown of a process's committed virtual memory types as well as the amount of physical memory (working set) assigned by the operating system to those types.

Process Explorer v14.12

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.

You might find the system only had a memory shortage or the program your running has a leak and is gobbling memory....

good luck with any upgrades.

@ Watchman:

Ooopsss ! yes Iguess I largely misunderstood!

However, now I got your point I would say

STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

Fact is, you upgrade when you feel your machine is getting tight for what you do. Is a matter to feel comfy, like a nice suite you wear nicely and comfortably.... but... when your jacket start to pull on your shoulder or you cant button because your chest (or your belly) doesn t fit... man you need to get comfy :)

So, keep what you have and enjoy. Theoretically, the longer you wait, better stuff and better prices will be out there. Just don t fall into the mistake to wait for the "best" deal, because then you ll wait forever, frozen by the Siren s Song :)