Spartans Home

Procedure for creating a standalone car in GTR2

Zeno~SPARTA~

I am going to attempt to set out the procedure for creating a standalone car in GTR2. I assume you know how to customize a car skin and that you have Geditor. I thought it would be useful if I used a specific example to help you best understand the procedure. The procedure is straightforward but you must be diligent in following every step precisely, make sure you use upper and lower case correctly.

In my example I am going to make a stand alone car based on JMB Racing’s Ferrari 360 number 04067. In effect we will make a duplicate of the JMB car which we can then modify in your custom skin. Obviously you will replace Zeno Racing with your own designation.

But first, you need to know your car maker number – this is number between 6 and 99, you can choose any number that is not already assigned, check with me for the available numbers

My maker number is 07 and the car will be 002, so that’s what I’ll use in my example.

Create a working directory away from the game called Zeno Racing (obviously use your name not mine). Leave a small window open for that folder. Now open another small window with the following folder in it

Simbin\GTR2\GameData\Teams\NGT\Ferrari 360 Teams\JMB Racing

The files we are interested in are:

04067_CPIT_ULTRA_TEX.gtr

04067_NGT_FERRARI_360.car

04067_NGT_FERRARI_360_Graph.txt

04067_NGT_FERRARI_360_tech1.txt

04067_NGT_FERRARI_360_tech2.txt

04067_NGT_FERRARI_360Graph.bmp

04067_TEX.gtr

04067_ULTRA_TEX.gtr

Copy these 8 files from the game directory to your working folder (Zeno racing). Go ahead and rename all the files in the working directory, changing the first 5 digits, in my case I will change all the 04067’s to 07002.

07002_CPIT_ULTRA_TEX.gtr

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360.car

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360_Graph.txt

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360_tech1.txt

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360_tech2.txt

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360Graph.bmp

07002_TEX.gtr

07002_ULTRA_TEX.gtr

Now we’ll go through the files one at a time (remember all this will be done in your working directory away from the game directory (in my case Zeno Racing).

07002_CPIT_ULTRA_TEX.gtr

Right click on this file and select open, choose “select the program from a list”and browse and point to the location of the Geditor.exe file. If you tick “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” all .gtr files will open with Geditor.

You will see at the bottom of the Geditor window the following 3 files:

04067_FERRAI_360_CPIT01.DDS

04067_FERRAI_360_CPIT02.DDS

04067_FERRAI_360_CPIT03.DDS

Normally the first line of the list will be highlighted in blue. There are 8 icons above the picture, put the cursor on the 6th icon (export a file) and click. A “Save As” page pops up, since its already pointing to the right directory click “save”. Move the cursor to the second line and repeat the save procedure, then the 3rd line and repeat.

The 3 .DDS files should have appeared in your working directory (Zeno Racing in my case). Now rename the files in your working directory by changing the first 5 digits (04067 to 07002 in my case). They will now be:

07002_FERRAI_360_CPIT01.DDS

07002_FERRAI_360_CPIT02.DDS

07002_FERRAI_360_CPIT03.DDS

Now go back to Geditor and put the cursor on the first line and click so that it’s highlighted in blue. Delete the 3 files by clicking the 7th (remove a file) icon. At this stage there should be no files visible in Geditor

Now click on the 5th (import a file) icon and import the 3 07002xxxxxx.DDS files one at a time, in their original order. When that’s done click file then save.

Now close Geditor and double click on the file again and look at the file numbers to make sure they’re all changed from 04067 to 07002. Correct any that haven’t been changed and delete any duplicates.

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360.car

Right click on this file and select open, choose “select the program from a list”and scroll through the list to Notepad. If you tick “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” all .car files will open with Notepad

Scroll down until you see this, it will be the last block of data:

Number=04067

Team="JMB Racing"

PitGroup=""

Driver="Jean-Pierre Malcher"

Driver1="Jean-Pierre Malcher"

Driver2="Jean-Yves Mallat"

Description="Ferrari 360 Modena"

Engine="Ferrari V8"

Manufacturer="Ferrari_360"

classes="FULL, 2004, NG_2004, F360, FERRARI, ITALIAN, Dubai"

ComparativeTime=105.

Now change it as follows:

Number=07002

Team="Zeno Racing"

PitGroup=""

Driver="zeno"

Driver1=""

Driver2=""

Description="Ferrari 360 Modena"

Engine="Ferrari V8"

Manufacturer="Ferrari_360"

classes="FULL, 2004, NG_2004, F360, FERRARI, ITALIAN, Dubai"

ComparativeTime=105

As you can see I have changed the highlighted items to personalise them to my team..

Now click on File then Save

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360_Graph.txt

Double click on the file and it should open in notepad and this is what you will see inside.

GameData\Teams\NGT\Ferrari 360 Teams\JMB Racing4067_NGT_FERRARI_360Graph.bmp

Change this to:

GameData\Teams\NGT\Ferrari 360 Teams\Zeno Racing7002_NGT_FERRARI_360Graph.bmp

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360_tech1.txt

Do nothing

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360_tech2.txt

Do nothing

07002_NGT_FERRARI_360Graph.bmp

Do nothing

07002_TEX.gtr

double click on the file and Geditor will open and you will see 5 files:

04067_FERRAI_360_BODY1.DDS

04067_FERRAI_360__CPIT01.DDS

04067_FERRAI_360_CPIT02.DDS

04067_FERRAI_360_CPIT03.DDS

04067_FERRAI_360_WINDOWS.DDS

Normally the first line of the list will be highlighted in blue. There are 8 icons above the picture put the cursor on the 6th icon (export a file) and click. A “Save As” page pops up, since its already pointing to the right directory click “save”. Move the cursor to the second line and repeat the save procedure, then do the same for the 3rd , 4th and 5th lines..

The 5 .DDS files should have appeared in your working directory (Zeno Racing in my case). Now rename the files in your working directory by changing the first 5 digits (04067 to 07002 in my case). They will now be:

07002_FERRAI_360_BODY1.DDS

07002_FERRAI_360_CPIT01.DDS

07002_FERRAI_360_CPIT02.DDS

07002_FERRAI_360_CPIT03.DDS

07002_FERRAI_360_WINDOWS.DDS

Now go back to Geditor and put the cursor on the first line and click so that it’s highlighted in blue. Delete the 5 files (one at a time) by clicking the 7th (remove a file) icon. At this stage there should be no files visible in Geditor

Now click on the 5th (import a file) icon and import the 5 07002xxxxxx.DDS files one at a time, in their original order. When that’s done click file then save.

Now close Geditor and double click on the file again and look at the file numbers to make sure they’re all changed from 04067 to 07002. Correct any that haven’t been changed and delete any duplicates.

04067_ULTRA_TEX.gtr

double click on the file and Geditor will open and you will see 1 file:

04067_FERRAI_360_BODY1.DDS

There are 8 icons above the picture put the cursor on the 6th icon (export a file) and click. A “Save As” page pops up, since its already pointing to the right directory click “save”.

The .DDS files should have appeared in your working directory (Zeno Racing in my case). Now rename the file in your working directory by changing the first 5 digits (04067 to 07002 in my case). It will now be:

07002_FERRAI_360_BODY1.DDS

Now go back to Geditor and delete the file by clicking the 7th (remove a file) icon. At this stage there should be no files visible in Geditor

Now click on the 5th (import a file) icon and import the 07002xxxxxx.DDS. When that’s done click file then save.

Last Step

Now copy the folder entitled Zeno Racing from the working directory to the game directory, as follows:

Simbin\GTR2\GameData\Teams\NGT\Ferrari 360 Teams\

Now run GTR2. Go to car and model. The JMB car will be duplicated in

Ferrari 360 Modena

And the car will have the following details:

Class NGT

Year 07

Number 002

Team Zeno Racing

Drive the car on a track to ensure there are no problems.

The car is now ready for you to modify and when completed will be a standalone car.

When you have finished compress the folder (Zeno Racing in my case) and send the zipped/rar’d file to the admistrator for him to load on the server.

And that’s it.

A big thanks to viiiper for patiently explaining this procedure to me and to Floyd for testing it.

You can use any car, I have done an M3, both types of 360, the Maserati and the saleen. However 07 is my maker number (ie my cars ar 07001, 07002, 07003 etc.)

We need everyone to post their maker numbers here, so we can dish out new ones.

The skinners I remember are:

Viiiper

Maj3stic

Floyd

E$

Kiwi

Zathrus

If this takes off again we can I'll get viiiper to give me a refresher and then I'll do the tutorial fo for skinning (he said optimistically, as this is much more eloborate).

Here are a couple of mine

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

I can seriously say that I enjoyed skinning more than racing and it took me a long time to perfect, here's my first attempt at the replica of the DBR9

User posted image