Spartans Home

Netflix App - Streaming

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/12/netflix-releases-android-app-for-select-htc-phones-samsung-nexu/

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient

I have installed and tried this at work through the WiFi. It works perfectly. There are some people who complain about the App loading to the Netflix logo splash screen and then going to an all white screen. That happened for me as well, but I guess it was loading and soon went to the main app. In other words, just be patient and wait for it.

By the way, the first video I played was Restrepo.

EDIT: Also, I have an HTC EVO 4G on Sprint. It is not rooted.

This makes me curious. Does the Marketplace only show you apps that your phone supports? I have the HTC Thunderbolt and was going to try and run it just to see what would happen... but after running a search on it, I didn't see the "official" Netflix app.

- JHunter

This makes me curious. Does the Marketplace only show you apps that your phone supports? I have the HTC Thunderbolt and was going to try and run it just to see what would happen... but after running a search on it, I didn't see the "official" Netflix app.

- JHunter

Did you try the second link I posted. It is the Market page.

I see it fine using your link from my computer, but if I go to that link with my Thunderbolt, it says "The requested item could not be found."

- JHunter

Try having your gmail account open in another tab and then going to that link. If you are allowed to use the app, you will see a button to install it.

After some googling, I found that:

Only good for the following phones. No Android 3 app available yet.

? HTC Incredible with Android 2.2

? HTC Nexus One with Android 2.2, 2.3

? HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2

? HTC G2 with Android 2.2

? Samsung Nexus S with Android 2.3

The problem is that only certain phones, notably the phones with a Snapdragon processor, have a processor that meets the DRM requirements of Netflix and the agreements that Netflix has with the film and tv studios.

Hopefully, there will be a software DRM that will meet spec and other media phones can use it. The Thunderbolt is a media powerhouse and it really sucks that as of right now, it cannot use the app. Sorry.

Yea, I saw the list of compatible phones when I went to the Marketplace on my computer... which is what made me wonder if the Marketplace filters out the apps that it knows your phone cannot use. I've only had my phone for a limited time so I have yet to encounter an app I haven't been able to run. Not sure if its just a coincidence or if its the Marketplace saving me from headache.

- JHunter

Yea, I saw the list of compatible phones when I went to the Marketplace on my computer... which is what made me wonder if the Marketplace filters out the apps that it knows your phone cannot use. I've only had my phone for a limited time so I have yet to encounter an app I haven't been able to run. Not sure if its just a coincidence or if its the Marketplace saving me from headache.

- JHunter

I think it is done on purpose. There is one glimmering hope though, you could root your phone and install it that way. I will probably never root my phone as I don't find it as useful as others do.

Yea, that's way too much work. I don't even have a Netflix account, but know plenty of people that do who will let me use their credentials, if I asked for them. I just wanted to see how well it worked.

- JHunter

Well, I can tell you that it is only supposed to work through WiFi and 4G to get the best frame rate and as little lag as possible. However, mine is really smooth with 3G. I would say that the App itself is a bit sluggish, but then again, I haven't restarted my phone in days.

Check out an app called Juice Defender. My battery lasts so much longer now. It kind of micro manages your phone so you don't have to.