Spartans Home

Bin Laden is dead!!!!!

Great response Medic, definitely cleared some things up for me. I think at one point or another we each lost the contexts in which we were speaking, I was lead to assume you were talking about one thing and vice versa and poor assumptions were made.

I think custard put it fairly well enough about what I meant about the moral highground. I certainly didn't mean it from a religious standpoint. Now, one could argue that we are invaders and what right do we have to say what is moral and what isn't? We've become the world's police that everybody loves to hate. I agree, we meddle far too much in foreign affairs. And these two particular cases (Iraq, Afghanistan) we brought upon ourselves (in that we were the ones who initiated military action). We have the moral high ground because at least we try to treat the people of their country as equals and as human beings. Not meatshields that we can parade and defile after their death.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhg OK guys you know politics should not be posted as we all have an opinion and it should be spoken on TS rather than here because it cannot be explained bettter than when face to face.

And for god sake Medic a simple guy can't figure out the long form of info that your thesus brings, sorry but I am simple and sometime it's overwelming.

Thanks guys.

@Cus, thanks. Means alot. I am not a good one to talk specifically about religion and that is certainly a topic for another if ever. But I wonder, if we didn't have religion, not so much the absence of a god, but the lack human interpretation of what said god wants, would we humans fight nearly as much as we have, do still, and probably will in the future? No need to respond if don't care to. That was just me thinking.

@Zeno. Never meant you for a moment. You and I have had our differences in the past, but I respect you tremendously and it was this reason why I wanted to hear your thoughts. I was speaking of anyone, including myself. And mark me here, I would hate the occasion if anyone here would need to remind me of my own words on this matter, but as friends, I would expect it. We all need a check time to time. "Hey Clint, remember that time when you said that when a person gets butt-hurt, they should ask questions and try to understand the other person's postition? Yeah well that time is now and the person is you mate." It will be a funny day, but I am sure it will happen sooner or later for any one of us.

As far as what I've chipped in, I hope to do so more in the near future. It is deserved for the time I have spent on great servers, with even better company. The problem is bills and a horrible Steam/Gaming habit, which I am sure we can all relate to.

@Rooster, Thanks and agreed. Where exactly do we as Americans draw the proverbial 'line in the sand.' There are obviously some things that are definitely on the other side of the line as have been mentioned above and these include women and children, but how do we fight an enemy who will use ANY tool at their disposal to accomplish their deeds? How do we meet such evil, for lack of a better term, with less than evil. At the end of the day, I suppose we could conclude that all war and fighting is in some way evil, but to fight an enemy that values life FAR differently than we do, puts us each on entirely different playing fields. But, as callous as it sounds, I have no problem ending someone who wants to end me and mine.

Uhg OK guys you know politics should not be posted as we all have an opinion and it should be spoken on TS rather than here because it cannot be explained bettter than when face to face.

And for god sake Medic a simple guy can't figure out the long form of info that your thesus brings, sorry but I am simple and sometime it's overwelming.

Oh great, Halli's here. We all need to use simple words now. Nothing more than two syllables. Dammit, I already broke my own rule!

I know it is long, tiresome and probably not worth the effort here or elsewhere, but this is the shit I think about while you guys are at work.

This is what I like to see. Going for the jugular and not letting loose...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703992704576307594129219756.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

The U.S. launched a drone strike in Yemen on Thursday aimed at killing Anwar al-Awlaki, the American-born radical cleric suspected of orchestrating terrorist attacks in the U.S, but he evaded the missile, Yemeni and U.S. officials said.

Anwar al-Awlaki in a video released late last year.

.The attack came days after a U.S. Navy SEALs team killed Osama bin Laden at a compound in Pakistan. Had Thursday's strike succeeded, the U.S. would have killed two of the most-wanted terrorists in a week.

Mr. Awlaki has emerged as a leading charismatic front-man of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, a group the U.S. considers the world's most active terror organization. With bin Laden's death, some officials believe Mr. Awlaki and the Yemen-based group now represent the gravest threat to the U.S.

He has been linked to at least three major incidents: the Ft. Hood shootings, the Christmas 2009 plot to blow up a U.S.-bound passenger plane and a plan to blow up cargo planes.

Unfortunately, it was a miss.

to Halli, I didn't think this was political at all.

to Custard, it's not the moral high ground to avoid the mention of religion when that is the driving force, albeit twisted, behind the terrorists. Until we all understand that it is about religion (a perverted form of it), we will not win.

As far as what I've chipped in, I hope to do so more in the near future. It is deserved for the time I have spent on great servers, with even better company. The problem is bills and a horrible Steam/Gaming habit, which I am sure we can all relate to.

LOL do you see how easy it is to misunderstand. I was not talking about donations.

Cy- So as not to break the rules of the forums I will keep this brief and neutral. To them (Al Qaeda, Taliban) it's about religion, yes. We all know and understand this. But our purposes are not religiously driven at all. Our purpose is to drive out terrorism (of all kinds) as a political and military force in the Middle East, and to demolish and disrupt their networks throughout the globe. We fight for the citizens of those nations who are defenseless against them, so that they may one day raise their children in a home ruled without fear, intolerance, hate, and violence. We also fight for our own safety, so that the terrorists will never have the means to carry out violence in the West on the scale of 9/11 or 7/7 ever again.

Acknowledging that we're fighting an extremely twisted, perverted, radical form of Islam makes no difference in my eyes. It could be any other religion or external motivation, in any other part of the world, and it would still be terrorism. If there was no Islam in the Middle East it likely wouldn't make a difference to these people. They'd find (or create) some other equally hateful (but attractive) motivation to drive their endeavors. Ultimately, it comes down to power, money, and control through unrelenting fear and violence. They may fight under the guise of religion (and many do take these beliefs seriously), so as to lull and attract the vast number Muslims in the Middle East, but I think the motives of these organizations is rather clear to me by the actions and way of life of the upper echelons. You don't see these leaders doing anything radical other than orchestrating the violence for their own personal gain.

Thats all I will say about that and I will discuss no further. Just laying out what I think and no more.

Edited by Rooster90

Oh great, Halli's here. We all need to use simple words now. Nothing more than two syllables. Dammit, I already broke my own rule!

I know it is long, tiresome and probably not worth the effort here or elsewhere, but this is the shit I think about while you guys are at work.

السلام و كل خير

No problem bud I recon I am just a simple man.

If it were me, I wouldn't have said anything. I'd even deny we were there. I'd let the rest of the world twist for awhile.

Now all of his buddies know to move, change phone numbers, change cable providers, etc. and Pak gets to sell a chunk of stealth heli to the ChiComs.

Not what I call a covert op. More like a photo op.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding crossing into Pakistan to eliminate OBM, I'd say that the Rhodesians had the proper idea some 30 years back when they launched a raid into neighboring Zambia to attack a terrorist base. Here's a portion of the radio chatter between Rhodesian AF raid leader and Zambian air traffic control. An example to be followed and in my opinion this is how we should be talking to Pakistan from here on out.

Green Leader: Lusaka tower, this is Green Leader. How do you read?

Lusaka Tower: Station calling tower?

Green Leader: Tower, this is Green Leader. This is a message for the station commander at Mumbwa from the Rhodesian Air Force. We are attacking the terrorist base at Westlands Farm at this time. This attack is against Rhodesian dissidents and not against Zambia. Rhodesia has no quarrel, repeat, no quarrel with Zambia or her security forces. We therefore ask you not to intervene or oppose our attack. However, we are orbiting your airfield at this time and are under orders to shoot down any Zambian Air Force aircraft which does not comply with this request and attempts to take off. Did you copy all that?

Lusaka Tower: Copied. What do I call you?

Green leader:

^^Thats just bad politics....not smart,you can ignore your friends....and they will forgive........but you should not insult them...........specially when they have nukes :)