Spartans Home

PODCAST - Episode 3 now available

Very nice,

But for me the theme didn't come across as strong as it could of been, I don't know if you were

aiming for a sort of open chat policy with a chat host, or something more focused but it didn't

seem as in-depth as I anticipated.

You were chatting about MMO/RGP styled games but it seemed like it was a collection of experiences.

I was anticipating (incorrectly I might add), a sort of segmented but still flowing episode on MMO / RPG with main points on:

Backstory

What's coming & the future (MMORPG v Single Purchase title).

Education via MMO

http://gamesined.wikispaces.com/MMORPG

http://gameful.org/groups/educational-games/forum/topic/educational-games-for-kids-learning-through-adventure/

MMO/ RPG Themes/styles (cute/ cold/ mechanical/ futuristic/ real world etc).

Like & dislikes of key MMO/ RPG mechanics

Pros v Cons

New technologies in the pipe for MMO/ RPG (linking MMO with PC/ APPLE/ CONSOLES IPAD/ IPHONE/ SMART PHONE)

For instance, CCP (creators of Eve Online is working on the release of the console interlink of EVE Online,

meaning you can play on both PC/APPLE and interact with players playing the console variant called DUST514).

Here's a list of all MMO/ RPG's

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

Anyway, it was really good to listen too... :winner_first:

Yeah, I really think the only thing lacking in the podcast is structure. I'd listen to the PC Gamer US podcasts for a guide. Basically has an intro that gives a quick overview of just about everything thats going to be discussed, then they do about 15 minute segments on each subject with a short music interlude between each segment. Something as simple as that can really make a difference.

@ Rooster & Viiiper:

Thanks for the feedback. As this was only podcast #3, we are still experimenting with what works and what doesn't. No single style of podcast will be palatable to everyone, as is evidenced by the fact that the first two podcasts, which were very structured, were criticized for being too structured. :)

** EDIT: I do like Rooster's idea of summarizing what's in the podcast in the beginning. This would be easy to do in post-production, and while it doesn't provide structure, it does let the listener know what to expect. I will do this for the next podcast. **

Personally, I'm leaning towards sticking with the current, looser structure, but that may change. The reason I started the podcast to begin with was to try to capture the type of spontaneous conversations we have on TeamSpeak, albeit conversations that are focused specifically on PC gaming. I felt much more relaxed while recording the last episode, but it's difficult to say how much of that was due to the new format and how much was due to the fact that I'm starting to get a good feel for what I'm doing (I really am shooting from the hip here).

Who knows? By the time we get settled in and find our rhythm, we may end up with something completely different than anything we've tried so far. We may continue to have new guests every week, or we might settle down to a fixed stable of regulars. We might continue to have regular set segments like "Playlists", or we may just get together and start talking about whatever comes to mind. (I am thinking of dropping Playlists for podcast #4, but any participant is still welcome to talk about what they have been playing if they think they have something interesting to share).

Thanks for listening, and hopefully we'll figure out a way to consistently provide content that has value to our listeners.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Cool beans.

I totally understand with what you're trying to capture though. I still think its possible with some structure. Like I said, a good reference is the PC Gamer US podcast. I understand that they have quite a bit more resources and news on hand than us, but really the only "structure" they have is Segment 1: Talk about game "x", interlude, repeat. And you can replace game "x" with any topic or question. They also have listener questions that they answer, but thats something more popular podcasts are able to do.

I think Viiper put it best, that it sounded like a collection of experiences and not a solid discussion. Thats totally fine for a few minutes here and there, but while the talkers may be engaged, you have to think about the listener too. Think about the guy who has no idea who you are and are listening to this for the first time. Share funny stories and cool experiences, but keep them quick and concise and keep things rolling. You don't want the listener to lose interest 5 minutes in.

(If you're wondering why I criticize hard, went to college to be a producer, lol. I want to see you succeed.)

They also have listener questions that they answer, but thats something more popular podcasts are able to do.

I have to agree personally as this is s thread of feedback (of sorts).

Many stations/podcast broadcasts have tried many variations and over time (like natural selection) the more stronger/popular formats have grown. There is no real reason to start from block 1 when you can use all the knowledge of other good casts.

The listener is the most important element of any broadcast, engaging them, making them want to listen to more, or want to interact by putting questions via a feedback blog to the creators, to have the possibility of being raise/discussed during the broadcast is (in my opinion) a big element of success.

other elements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmFznHPfy8k

anyway nice job....

More Kung Fu, less fluff.....

off topic a little...

I like this...

But Skype Premium does this now.... $6/month

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/