Spartans Home

PC Gamer blasts OFP: Red RIver

well, so much for me getting OF:RR.

PC Gamer's review is definitely angry...

besides, its not OFP. i think the worst part is making the campaign missions linear. i rather enjoy the open possibilities of Arma and the OFP of old. if i want linear crap, i'll play CoD.

best photo ever. i'm stealing that for other applicable situations in the future.

Jeff

Viiper my friend, it's been way too long since I played games along side you - hope you're well.

Not sure the reality of OFPRR but after the first one, I just can't risk throwing away good coin on that game unless I see some amazing reviews.

Although, the PC Gamer reviewer may not have been the guy who played some Arma2 with us - I kinda trust the opinion of PC Gamer over other reviews - tell me I'm wrong.

I think what really pisses ppl off overall and the reason why you get a 400 page thread at BIS forums dissing the game is bcoz CM stole a name - but destroyed what OFP should have been. Feel free to create an FPS but don't steal a name and rape the title.

It's a rail shooter - nothing more. And that's as far from OFP as the game could get.

Let's hope BF3 can reunite some of us for some ggz.

I think what really pisses ppl off overall and the reason why you get a 400 page thread at BIS forums dissing the game is bcoz CM stole a name - but destroyed what OFP should have been. Feel free to create an FPS but don't steal a name and rape the title.

Agreed, and it's true for more than just shooters. There are certain IPs that have value because of the fond memories they evoke in people that played those games. When those licenses are up for grabs, I think some publishers grab them up to capitalize on what they see as a sure sale without bothering to keep what made an IP special to begin with.

To me, aside from OFP, there is another perfect and recent example of this: X-COM. X-COM was originally a turn-based tactical combat game focused on repelling an alien invasion. It is now being turned into a first-person shooter that shares the same "kill the aliens" theme but nothing more. It is X-COM in name only.

We won't know for certain for at least another year from now, but I'm willing to bet that Red River will be the last OFP title we'll see from Codemasters. That IP is now synonymous with "crap game" and whatever value that name once had is lost.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

I totally agree, certain IP does have certain values.

But it's a joke on B.I. in my opinion (not it's fans) that B.I. used Cm for publishing and somehow lost the rights to the title....

Bad business is bad business.

All I could say in defence of B.I. is 'I bet they don't do that again'

We won't know for certain for at least another year from now, but I'm willing to bet that Red River will be the last OFP title we'll see from Codemasters. That IP is now synonymous with "crap game" and whatever value that name once had is lost.

Maybe im getting old and sentimental but i agree and find it very sad,sooooooo where is "Joint ops:Typhoon rising 2" :C)

Let's not forget the difference between Ghost Recon and GRAW. There's a trend of going from a more thought-based immersive video game to graphics-enhanced linear arcade shooter. It would be nice if better standards were introduced in the hardware world so developers would have a much easier time making real games. I blame the pure-competition in hardware as much as I blame developers who make dumbed-down games.