Spartans Home

OC new mobo & i 5 2500k

EBE

ellow

Need some help on OC me new rig (setting up for gaming )

i5 2500k 3.3ghz DDR3 1600mhz 6GB(3slots so 2 2 2 0) ( i know still dual channel )

1155 mobo P8-P67 rev.3.0 B3 (got the T-212 cooler the big boy)

win7 x64 prof

got three partitions each about 100gig os on C:

GTX 460 GLH 1gb version

GOT very good software with the mobo damn many settings i have ever seen

greetz

Edited by EBE

First, congrats and I hate you :MSNCRY:

Second, what model p8-p67 is it, there is like half a dozen lol.

Third, put your games on another hard drive. Arma 2 hates being on OS drive;)

Forth, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!! Find sites that give rewiews on your card, sometimes they have usefull info in them. Also look at How To's on your socket type if you have never oced one.

1155 howto guide Just the first one i found on search. look around, check Asus Forums.

Figure out how much speed you want, and weather you want to add alot of voltage to the chip. BTW voltage is just as hard on CPU's as running them hot.

Whatever you do its probably gonna take you a few tries to get it where you want it.

Also what speed is your ram?

Very nice new stuff EBE congrats !!

Well, do you want "help" or you want someone oveclocking the rig for you?

Help suppose you know what you are doing, you meet a sort of issue and you want iron it out.

Supposing you did your homework and you know how to OC your specific machine, I can suggest you 3 must to have programs to monitor your OC settings till when you will find the good one and steady one:

CoreTemp - monitors temperatures on your CPU. A dependable temp monitor is a must. If this one doesn t work for you, find another one. Before you try anything you need to have a Temp monitor.

CPU-Z - provides important info about your CPU and MB and RAM

Prime 95 - heavy stress benchmark to test stability at OCed CPU. It has 3 tests mode, only one is really important for you. Read its manual and use it to test your settings. If during test it shows errors, obviously you have to lower down your OC settings.

These 3 progs should be used together, at least Coretemp and Prime, because while Prime will heavy stress your CPU, Coretemp monitors your ... temps (duh..) and you will be able to see if you start to fry eggs on your cores.

Something missing on your first post is your CPU heat sink and fan.

Usually you are not going to achieve good OC using the "out of the box" one. You should have a third party powerful cooler to start an OC attempt safely.

me again

so i got me i5 2500k up to 4.500 mhz cores on 45(this is stable)(can go more but i am a bit noobish )

AI OC TUNER = Manual

blck freq 100.0 (can go up to 104.0)

turbo ratio= Enab (all cores) X45

PLL= enab

mem freq 1600 mhz dram V 1.650

EPU = Dis (no power saving needed)

LLC = regular (or higher)

VRM freq = 350

phase control= Extreme

duty control= Extreme

cpu current capability=100 percent

cpu overvoltage = Manual

CPU manaual voltage= 1.330V(now) MAX is 1.38 this is the max according to INTEL above is damage !?) (intel_test usualy are on 1.325V )

cpu offset = + 0.080V (or more !! if unstable..)

Dram voltage = 1.650V

VCCSA voltage =auto

VCCIO voltage = auto

cpu PLL voltage= auto

pch voltage =auto

cpu spread spectrum= DIS

cpu ratio= auto ( or 45 but can't if you wanne put turbo mode ENABLED ?!)

intel adaptive thermal mon.= ENAB

intel virtualization =DIS

intel speedstep = ENAB

Turbo mode =ENAB

CPU C1E = ENAB

(most off these seting i don't fully understand)(working on it slooooOwly)

Question = (if have tips fill me inn?.)(did a test can go up to 103.0 X49 = 5047Mhz but voltage reach more then 1.380 V )

1. whats better BLCK (100.0+) more or the multiplier (X45+) (whats faster? )

(do we need the turbo or constant ?)

2. how can i OC and not go off the scale with Voltage)

3. ect.

P8P67_B3 on i5_2500k 3.3ghz Dram_1600mhz (9-9-9-27)

Edited by EBE

Ebe...

I mean, all of this sounds nice... but you are not posting any relevant info about your temperatures. Also you say "this is stable", based on what?

Because it is able to POST? Did you run any benchmark? Did you run Prime 95 for a minimum of 30 - 45 minutes with no errors reporting ? Did you run a 3D Mark benchmark of any kind being able to complete it without crash? Did you have a 4 hours gaming session on Arma without BSODs?

... All of the above woould mean "stable" to me.

You are going crazy mad with your OC, pushing clcks and voltage based on something you read on some article ??

Each one machine responds to OC in a different way. Besides general rules to follow, noone can expect exactly the same behavior from the same processor.

Technically pushing clocks generate heat. Higher voltage generate more heat. In general, OCs above 4 Ghz are achieved with water-cooling for safety (however they can be achieved with air-cooling with some specific third party coolers and very good case airflow).

You are evaluating to push that OC above 5 Ghz ????

Ebe, I think you are going to fry your CPU and/or MB very soon if you don t monitor your temperature.

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

:thumbsup_anim:

Just remember that Voltage and Heat are the 2 killers of CPU's, to much of either will shorten the life of the chip considerably.

Someone Correct Me If Im Wrong. From what I understand from past articles is that BLCK controls everything not just your cpu, it ties into pci and memory. So your pushing your pci and memory also, which can make gpu's unstable.

I guess it depends on the OC settings you have.

BLCK on the previous i7 class was not related to the PCI or GPU transfer rate. I know there was another setting for the PCI and everyone always says to leave it alone at 100.

BLCK is tied up to RAM tho, thru the multiplier, so depending also what kind of RAM he has, he is pushing the clock on the RAM as well. Anyway, it is possible he should push the voltage on RAM too to keep up with a over 4 Ghz OC.

Its specs say Dram voltage = 1.650V

on a DDR3 1600. It is possible the RAM is still good, but we don t really know at what speed RAM is going right now, neither if under stress is stable or not.

yo

100.0X45 =4500 MHz

max Voltage on test (prime95/3D mark'11) MAX was 1.384V (Intel states that max voltage should never go above 1.385V )

MAX temps are around 65 Celsius (got T212 with 2 fans and a big case with more fans )

Did not do more then 30 minute tests .

will do for now i gues ?

Automatic settings = 103.0 X42 ( could reach 104.0 X47 but tomutch is tomutch)

THX again hajimoto

got it stable know on 100.0 X 45 = 4500mhz

@ 1.345 core voltage and the settings from your post

max degrees 65C.

(i wanted to, get even more but not stable,probably other settings needed but i am happy know .)

greetz

I O U