Spartans Home

Gone for a few

You might have noticed good old Athlon was missing in action for a few days. Seems my moms health has dwindled some and she went in to the hospital, I found out about it a few days later after she came home from the hospital, she is doing ok but may not be around later this year so The wife and I jumped in the car and drove none stop to PA to get in some visiting before I won't be able to visit her. So my Brother has been jonesin to dump some clips of ammo.

We snuck out to the range for a afternoon of 500 rounds or so out of the .45s wile my mom was napping. Shooting along with one of our prised .45 autos and on the last round of a mag a major maulfunction occured spraying hot powder and gasses back in my face, apparenty the barrel splitt wide open in the slide jamming the barrel to the slide, freezeing the slide to the frame not ejecting the spent round.

We put her back in the holster for later repair. After getting back. (Oh buy the way shooting paper plates at 100 feet), went into my brothers workshop attemped to get the darling apart with out damageing her. After holding her down to the work bench and placeing a 8" 1/4" bolt down the barrel and driveing the slide back to the point that the spent caseing ejected, we poped out the slide release and drove the slide back forward and off the frame. We then had to very delcately had to drive the splitt barrel out of the slide. Got it apart with out any major damage to the rest of her, and ordered a new barrel. I gess after years of fireing the barrel metel fatigued and finley cracked. WOW! That was a dam shame becouse this barrel was keeping 12" groups at 100 feet. This barrel is stainless, so we will be replaceing it with a new WW2 blue steel barrel. It had several thousands of rounds thru it before failing.

HPIM0972.jpg

HPIM0969.jpg

HPIM0967-1.jpg

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I don't know how much time she has left, That is the reasion for the visit, I wanted to see her befoe she goes, if she goes, But I at least wanted to see her before, becouse I may not have anouther chance. Its a real bicth getting older. and wacthing the ones you love pass away. It tears the hart out of one.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~