Spartans Home

Homefront AD misleading or good advertising?

MedicSN6

It isn't misleading-err, well perhaps with a photo of Clinton. It fits the same criticisms pitched toward 2006 Death of a President.

Still, nothing wrong with them playing up the storyline hype, that's in part what makes these storylines fun; relating them to real world scenarios. Splinter cell is good for this reason, as is the sp in the recent shooters (albeit similar via EMF bomb and US).

No, I thought a little more. I don't like the use of the ad. The media, including game adverts, have an ethical responsibility. They have many, but this one concerns inciting fear. Any communicator needs to recognize how their work could be viewed by the available audience. A Homefront ad like that above on the game producer's own home page is one thing, but in a forum viewed by any youtube user (not just a few scattered PC gamers), is too far a stretch.

The youtube ad could still contain similar content, but it needs to be visually couched in such a way that it immediately offers real-news doubt to readers, so they might see it for what it is and not what their fear could guide them to believe. It could be a gaming-looking background, or a stylized head of state instead of a real photo.

It isn't misleading-err, well perhaps with a photo of Clinton. It fits the same criticisms pitched toward 2006 Death of a President.

Still, nothing wrong with them playing up the storyline hype, that's in part what makes these storylines fun; relating them to real world scenarios. Splinter cell is good for this reason, as is the sp in the recent shooters (albeit similar via EMF bomb and US).

No, I thought a little more. I don't like the use of the ad. The media, including game adverts, have an ethical responsibility. They have many, but this one concerns inciting fear. Any communicator needs to recognize how their work could be viewed by the available audience. A Homefront ad like that above on the game producer's own home page is one thing, but in a forum viewed by any youtube user (not just a few scattered PC gamers), is too far a stretch.

The youtube ad could still contain similar content, but it needs to be visually couched in such a way that it immediately offers real-news doubt to readers, so they might see it for what it is and not what their fear could guide them to believe. It could be a gaming-looking background, or a stylized head of state instead of a real photo.

I agree with you on the responsibility and ethics of what a publisher should consider before printing any type of Ad or propaganda. However, where does the responsibility separation line fall with issues of this nature? Can we not expect the average citizen to have the intelligence to click the link to learn more about that they are looking at before running outside, screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"? What is the reasonable expectation of investigation in to a susposed 'news article' or headline. Is it reasonable to know that Youtube has only EVER posted advertisements in the header of their page and never has it posted real news? WHy would anyone consider youtube of all places a reliable source for news?

I lean towards the idea that if you are too stupid to realize that it is an ad and do not investigate or try to learn more about the situation, then you are an idiot and deserve all manner of public humiliation. For me having these people think, even for a moment until they learn it is an ad, that a situation such as NK attacking the U.S., is possible, is well worth it. That moment of the sinking feeling and their heart skipping a beat wondering of the possibilities, thinking about their children and quite possibly how fragile the current situation is, is worth it. I hope they get the message. Beyond that it was a good ad that has made people think and has gotten the word out even more so about the game. Nothing sells more than controversy.

HomeFront comes from Kaos studio, responsible for their first release Frontlines - Fuel of War which was a colossal failure.

That game was released in bad conditions, poor Beta and was never fixed well enough to gather any solid public.

I will be extremely cautious about this new product. I hope they learnt from their mistakes.

HomeFront comes from Kaos studio, responsible for their first release Frontlines - Fuel of War which was a colossal failure.

That game was released in bad conditions, poor Beta and was never fixed well enough to gather any solid public.

I will be extremely cautious about this new product. I hope they learnt from their mistakes.

I did not know this. Thanks for the heads up.