Spartans Home

Battlefield 3

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alpha was pretty fun. There's still some bugs to be squashed and some annoying movement-related things, but overall the game felt and played really good. It was much more fluid than past games. It kind of tricked me into treating it like Bad Company 2, but you CANNOT play it like that game at all. This is a game that, while intense and fast-paced, also requires a lot of patience and thought. Getting caught in anywhere even remotely open, you're dead. This game requires some serious teamplay and cover in order to stay alive and be effective. More than any game I've played, BF3 makes you fear vehicles as an infantrymen, and fear well-placed MG's. Sniping is also much more difficult, a welcome change indeed.

Now if only they remove 3D spotting....

From what I've played, it's a cross between BF2 and BC2. You're once again limited to 4 classes and squads of 4 like BC2, but the classes are better organized and make more sense. It's also deadly and difficult like BF2. Being in the top 3 of the scoreboard is no easy task. Also, the hit registration feels dead-on. Very important improvement over BC2.

Edited by Rooster90

I hope it's nothing like BC2 Rooster90,

Battlefield series was a team based battlefield game not a level blaster like BC, BC2, MOH, MW, MW2, COD4 etc etc...

The whole battlefield structure although nowhere near perfect, pushes the field tactical element & I hope BF3 carries on the push.

The Alpha has/ had no jets or helicopters & in effect may of been restricted in such a way to make gamers of the other mentioned titles feel more comfortable especially with press write ups & reviews. Once the whole battlefield is opened up (typically 2-3Km) the logistics of moving troops & tactical elements of holding key push points may show more than the typical run & gun of other titles......

BETA

open public

September

Digital version on Origin (not Steam)

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/html/pbPage.battlefield3_EN_LE/

Knife montage watch in 1080p :winner_first:

Watch it in 720 HD !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8NKbip58EE

What amazes me, it the sound, it's like a copy of so many video clips of action from the Eastern conflict. The 50 cal mounted gun on the APC type vehicle reminds me of the gun on the Blackhawk videos on YT.

I have very strong expectations from this game (the only one I ever pre-ordered so long in advance).

I hope is not gonna give the run 'n gun feeling of BC2 (not blaming BC2, I am just looking for a different feeling) and i hope can deliver what Ghost Recon was not able to deliver on a network game (due to hacks, bugs, diversity of game modes and what else).

I didn t play BF2, but i got the game and used only to play (shortly unfortunately) the BF2 MOD Project Reality. It was Awesome. Unfortunately limited by the engine and graphic, but that was the way to go.

Then I moved to ARMA 2 and I didn t look back to BF2 anymore.

I don t know if BF3 has anything that may feel as Project Reality but i hope this game has a different name to bring on the table a revamped War game using the actual technology. A different product called Battlefield 3 because is not gonna be Bad Company 3, if you know what I mean.

@ Viper

I'm not entirely convinced you read my whole post.

BF3 will inevitably feel like you're playing BC2. It's running on essentially the same engine, just better. It looks very similar. From what was developed so far, the squad system is the same as BC2, except you now have a squad leader and you can only spawn on him/her, or a chosen spawn point (like BF2). The classes got swapped around a tiny bit, but it all feels rather familiar. Far better than BF2's classes. We were playing it the other day and it was annoying swapping between Anti-Tank and Engineer classes. Just makes sense for all of those classes to be condensed into 4 classes. We were also playing a Rush-mode map, with a max of 32 players in a server. Honestly though, thats where the similarities with BC2 end.

It all feels misleadingly similar to BC2 until you really get into combat. Weapons are deadly, but actually have some recoil. You can switch between different fire-modes. Cover and concealment is paramount. Moving and coordinating with your squad is extremely important. If you get caught in the open or try running and gunning on your own, you'll be dead before you're within 100 feet of the enemy. The suppression system works surprisingly well. It's subtle, but it makes you feel like you're being shot at and are about to die. Your screen blurs and you get a little tunnel-vision and sounds start to muddy. You drop prone and hope a squadmate can eliminate or suppress that MG before you're torn to shreds. And did I mention the sounds? My goodness. Those videos don't even do them justice. Far and away the BEST, most realistic soundscape for a military shooter, ever.

This game is not CoD. And it's not really BC2 either. The similarities end in the aesthetics of the game. It's not a tactical gamer's wet dream like Project Reality, but its a natural progression from BF2.

It's not a tactical gamer's wet dream like Project Reality, but its a natural progression from BF2.

I never thought it was a 'tactical gamers wet dream' nor do I personally want it to be, defining a 'tactical gamer' is a debate in it self. I personally don't want to play with stiff lip comms and a load of players acting out a scene from a military text book. It's not BF2 is not Project Reality (PR) a mod add on to BF2.

I see it like this:

'Battlefield 3' is a Game, made for enjoyment & fun, all the tight lipped comms & 'follow me up here commander' can stay with sims (simulation software). Battlefield is a team based frag game with a modern military suit, with strategy & tactics mixed in to give variable gameplay & outcomes.

Battlefield 2 was a great game but I'm looking forward to this one, I've bought no games this year & have one pre-order BF3. If it brings tanks, jets, helicopters,flexible load-outs, urban, cross country PvP & PvE warfare to me, I'll be happy. (and 4-6 player campaign mode).

It's all good.....

I think most of your expectations will be happily met. :)

Two things I doubt will happen though: 1) PvE. I haven't heard anything about bots at all, and if I'm not mistaken I think DICE may have already stated that there will be no bot/SP element to BF3 outside of the campaign. 2) 4-6 player coop. I know for sure there is coop, but I'm not sure they've specified how many people can participate. At most I would think there would be 4, since BF3 has 4-player squads. But I'm guessing it will just be a 2-player coop, but we'll wait and see I suppose.

Good analysis on the trailer, but not on the map itself. I'm interested to see what this map will be like in Conquest mode, because its really unbalanced in Rush atm. Defenders easily win 90% of the time. There are so many entrenchments around the objectives it's nearly impossible to penetrate an even slightly coordinated defense. You're lucky if you make it to the 3rd set of objectives (out of 4). There's one above ground in the park, then moves to the first section of the subway. The LAV can only drive into the entrance of that section, no further. From then on for the next two sets of objectives it's all close-quarters. The second set of objectives aren't too bad to take. But the third set is nearly impossible. Attackers have a few options to attack, but all are killzones and chokepoints. Either you fight your way through a long cooridor, exchanging rocket fire, or your fighting upwards on an escalator. If you happen to get a few squads up the stairs, you're basically stuck there because the only way to make it to the nearest objective is across a wide open space with ticketing gates you have to shoot through in the middle. As an attacker I only made it to the fourth and final set of objectives once, which was above ground in the streets. Needless to say we lost because by that time we had barely any tickets left on our team. The streets are equally barren and open (if you make it past the stairs to get above ground). And fighting through buildings is no easy task.

All-in-all, fun game, but that map in particular needs some balancing done for the Rush mode. Spawning on squad-leaders only worked less than half the time, so that also hindered attackers from making any significant gains in ground control.