Spartans Home

Silent Hunter series mods and more

BrerRabbit~SPARTA~

Im starting a thread to post/discuss mods for the Silent Hunter series. I've been messing around with mods for SH4 and SH5 quite a bit and I find them well worth getting if you choose the right ones. They can greatly improve the games. Other than the Total War modding community Ive never seen a group of moders more dedicated or prolific.

JSGME - JonesSoftGenericModEnabler

This is a piece of freeware that is essential for enabling and disabling mods for Silent Hunter games. Nearly all mods for Silent Hunter are made to be used with JSGME, so it is the "must have" software if you want to mod your game.

JSGME download link

***IMPORTANT*** Once the.exe is DLed, double click it and start the install. It will ask you where you want to install JSGME, this is IMPORTANT!!! You want to install JSGME into the home folder of the Silent Hunter game you want to mod. So if you are using Steam, for Silent Hunter 4 this would be "Steam>steamapps>common>silent hunters wolves of the pacific." Also, choose to have a desktop shortcut created. If you installed for SilentHunter4 the desktop shortcut will read "Generic Mod Enabler - silent hunter wolves of the pacific." Run JSGME once installed and it will create a new folder in your SH home folder called "Mods" - this mods folder will be where you place all your SH mods. Also, if you want to mod SilentHunter 5 you will need to reinstall a second iteration of JSGME, this time in the Silent Hunter 5 home folder - you must have separate iterations of JSGME for each version of Silent Hunter you want modded.

SH3/4/5 Mods

Ground zero for all things Silent Hunter is Subsim.com, and in particular their radioroom (i.e. forums): Subsim radio room

Post of SH4's most popular mods

Post of SH5's most popular mods

Please note, some mods are not compatible with multiplayer mode - cosmetic mods seem to work fine, but mods that tweek realism or game mechanics do not. They do seem to work if all involved in MP have the same mods installed.

SH4 Mods I recommend

1. Spax's SH4 U-Boat missions German Language mod (link). If you have the U-Boat missions expansion, and if you want your crew to speak German, this is the mod to get. Please note, if you have this mod installed and you play as the Americans, your crew will speak German!!! You need to uninstall via JSGME to get them to speak English again. Also, Ive had no issues with this mod but one, and that is after removing the mod the English language was restored except for the crash dive command when I was in free camera or on the conning tower, then the command came in both German and English. A minor bug.

2. Trigger Maru Overhauled (link) - Trigger Maru Overhauled (aka TMO) is universally held to be the mega mod to have for SH4 (a mega mod is a big mod that makes many changes to the game, these are often done by cobbling together a number of popular mods into one package). TMO makes changes to the graphics (for example more more accurate Pacific Ocean environs), improves realism, added historic ships and subs, an improved UI with added sub commands, etc etc. I highly recommend installing it and just giving it a try, if you have any questions about it just ask me in TS.

TMO's realism settings (please note that all the settings can be customized once a Campaign is started):

By default the following is always on regardless of skill level selected:

– limited battery

– limited compressed air

– limited oxygen

– limited fuel

– realistic repair time

– realistic sensors

– dud torpedos on

– realistic reload times

The following varies based on selected skill level:

Easy:

– Auto TDC enabled (or in other words, Manual targeting is off)

– External Camera is enabled

Normal:

– Auto TDC is enabled (again, manual targeting is off)

– External camera is disabled and replaced with the event camera being enabled. The event

camera gives you eye candy, without giving away as much information that the external camera

gives.

Hard:

– Manual targeting is enabled

– Event camera is enabled. External camera disabled.

Realistic:

– Manual targeting is enabled

– event camera and external view disabled.

– Map contacts are disabled.

I suggest reading through the TMO pdf (download it here: link), it will detail the changes and the philosophy behind them. Example: "The objective of this mod is to make the pacific theater as immersive as possible, offer an increased level of challenge, and to make the player behave more realistically. TMO defines realism as encouraging the player to make the same decisions, and have the same fears that a real WW2 submarine captain would have. Historical accuracy and realism in the traditional sense of the word ( sometimes achieved by abstract means) is adhered to as much as possible, but some elements may be taken with creative license in order to achieve the overall objective. Trigger Maru also leans more toward the "seasoned" submarine simulation fan, and some elements may appear to be too daunting at first for your rookie player."

Direct link to TMO filefront DL page

***TMO and Multipler*** Ive not had the chance to make sure TMO and multiplayer will work as no one else in Sparta has this mod installed. I suspect it will work so long as everyone is using it.

SH5 mods

Coming soon

Edited by BrerRabbit~SPARTA~

While we are at it here are the Ports per say UBI

These are the port numbers for the different Silent Hunter titles.

Silent Hunter III: TCP/UDP 17997 to 18003

Silent Hunter IV: TCP 80, 3074, 19000

UDP 3074-3174, 19001, 19002

Silent Hunter V: UDP 9103, 22400, 19000

The website (http://portforward.com/) has a wealth of information on opening ports for every router out there.

I cant seem to get TMO to work the with mod enabler though.

What sort of problems are you having? Do you have v1.5? You will need SH4 1.5 (i.e. the U-Boat expansion) to play TMO. If you are having some sort of install problem detail it here or come into TS and I can likely help as Ive been messing around with the mods quite a bit.