Spartans Home

Decisions decisions

warzer0

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CVN-65 USS Enterprise

OR

CVN-68 USS Nimitz

For those of you that play with me, you know what I'm talking about. For those that don't, vote for the one you like better. :D Decide the fate of an entire.... project... that didn't sound as epic as I wanted it to.

O that is easy.... CVN-65 cause it is more work for you.

Enterprise was meant to be the first of a class of six, but construction costs ballooned and the remaining vessels were never laid down.

Because of the huge cost of her construction, Enterprise was launched and commissioned without the planned Terrier missile launchers. These were never installed and the ship's self-defense suite instead consisted of three shorter-range RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, Basic Point Defense Missile System (BPDMS) launchers.[12] Later upgrades added two NATO Sea Sparrow (NSSM) and three Mk 15 Phalanx CIWS gun mounts.[13] One CIWS mount was later removed and two 21-cell RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile launchers were added.[14]

Enterprise is also the only aircraft carrier to house more than two nuclear reactors.[3] Her eight-reactor propulsion design was rather conservative, with each A2W reactor taking the place of one of the conventional boilers in earlier designs. She is the only carrier with four rudders, two more than other classes, and features a more cruiser-like hull.[15]

Enterprise also had a phased array radar system designed to be better at tracking multiple airborne targets than conventional rotating antenna radars. These early phased arrays, which were replaced around 1980, were responsible for the distinctive square-looking island.

I have added a poll for this.

I chose the Nimitz name first and foremost because my father served aboard this ship in the late seventies and 1980. I used to look through his year books from when he was on the ship. All the black and white photos of sailors with beards and old school uniforms. Amazing times these guys had. Second because it is the first of its class and therefore a classic icon. Plus, she's still in service, kickin' ass and takin' names.

Another note about my dad's service on the ship was he was on board during the filming of The Final COuntdown (The Final Countdown on IMDB.com). The Nimitz hits a time portal and goes back to right before Pearl Harbor is hit. A decent film I have seen dozens of times. My dad's claim to fame is that they needed a shot of some pressure valves peaking so they called down to his area in the reactor room and asked him to do his thing. The shot is in the film. He always smiles at that part.

Also, my grandfather served aboard the USS Intrepid during Korea. I have written about him on the forums before. My family are carrier guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nimitz_%28CVN-68%29

USS_Nimitz_%28CVN-68%29.jpg

The Enterprise would be cool because it is modern and a current ship but I think this needs to be an icon instead of something new.

Oh god. Is this a Minecraft project?

No. No no no, save yourself. Use those countless hours to do something productive damnit!

But if you must, do the Enterprise. Because then you can be pals with

And if you do the Enterprise, you can make yours better than his, because--well, Star Trek sucks. (...oh god don't kill me)

Also, turn off monsters:

2ef3i0w.png

Good luck!

On the list of things todo today

1. texture the wall...short (20 min break)..

2. hhmmmmm still on 20 min break..

3. ok time to remember what i was going todo LOL!! thinks about minecraft for a short second..

4. ahh yes time to paint the walls...

5. minecraft and watching paint dry hmmm good idea..Eh!!! :worshippy:

• 3 weeks later...

Medic, next time you see your dad could you ask him how the hell you get around a carrier? All I know is from that one episode of NCIS that shows a string of numbers (something like 26-E-42 or something like that).

If it's classified or anything like that then, no problem then. BTW, since it's been tied for a month, I've decided to throw my weight...

2ibc86o.jpg

Edited by warzer0