Spartans Home

Cheap Handguns for Home Protection

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aimsurplus.com has some good deals as well. Just make sure to factor in the additional cost that a local dealer is goign to charge you to handle the paperwork if you buy online. Around here it can be anywhere from $40 to $200, depending on the shop and the gun.

German_ShepWinCESmall.jpg

GermanShep-teeth.jpg

Also the best Home defense is that little gun that takes .410 shells and .45acp can't recall what it's called but that is perfect for the house

if you have the money any large caliber should stop the agressor.

Location...there are many places in Tennessee with quite a few around Ft. Campbell.

German_ShepWinCESmall.jpg

GermanShep-teeth.jpg

Also the best Home defense is that little gun that takes .410 shells and .45acp can't recall what it's called but that is perfect for the house

if you have the money any large caliber should stop the agressor.

Location...there are many places in Tennessee with quite a few around Ft. Campbell.

The Judge(the gun your referring to) is definitely not the best gun for home defense. Oh yea, it takes .45 Long Colt, not ACP.

Edited by Yoshi

<_< I've got a .410 that was my grandfather's, but the musket is so friggin long that I wouldn't be able to turn it down the halway without getting it stuck. A shotgun would be my favorite form of home defense, but my home is just too small for that. I'm really comfortable handling an AR15, but I'm affraid any rifle or even a .22 pistol would go clear through the house and into another.

And my dog is a big poo-nanny that only barks at squirrels and doesn't even get up when the doorbell is wrung. Today was a pretty eventful day with drug dealers getting arrested across the street, and then finding out another group lives 3 doors down in my otherwise peaceful neighborhood. Just a little freaked out right now (if i didn't have family i wouldn't worry) and I'm beginning to think a pistol in my narrow hallway would be a great equalizer, or at least let me get some sleep at night.

Click the link

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/tennesee.htm

Theres one in knockville at the end of the month

A good review sight

http://www.gundirectory.com/body.asp?gun=Pistol&pp=1&sort=-3&ammoID=450&ammo=.45%20ACP&ammoD=%2E45+Automatic+Colt+Pistole

How does $179 grabb ya for a plastic glock knock off, my friend bought one and said its pritty good for the price.

Click link

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20105&gun=Pistol

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

While i wouldnt suggest going cheap on something you could be betting you life on, the best i could suggest is either a glock, or surf around gun shows or local shops.

I would have to echo that sentiment. When you're talking about the safety of yourself and your family, cheap isn't the way to go. Especially when talking firearms, you most often do get what you pay for.

As far as recommendations go, it really depends on your situation. A lot of people want to jump straight to the high caliber weapons for the "stopping power". However, how often do you really hear about someone getting shot by a smaller caliber and still sticking around? Personally, just being in this market recently myself, I went with the 9MM. I wanted something that was small enough for my wife to easily use. Plus ammo is cheap.

I went with the FNX from FNH USA. It was more expensive than the standard 9MM, but it had everything I wanted. Felt comfortable for both my wife and I and had plenty of safety features. After all was said and done, I paid about $500 for mine.

But at the end of the day, its all about what you can afford and what you're expecting from the weapon.

- JHunter

He said cheap, Thats cheap. If you want quality get the springfeild .45 or the rock river,.45, should be able to pick up a good one for $300. anything less like a 9mm will just piss them off. Hitt them once with a .45 230gr fmj or hp and there down for the count, game over.It knocks them down and out. 9mm will pass right thru clean and unless you cacth them in a vitial area there still comming really mad now. Most house invasion shootings occure @10ft.

My favorite house clearing machine w/50 shot drum with butt stock removed shes 24"

vg_final.jpg

Or i have been eyeing one of these in 12ga 3 1/2 mag

mag7.jpg

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Shit, he could just move. I'm sure he could make a deal with one of the drug lords to buy his place for cash.

I'm sure you already thought of both items.

However, if you do get into home defense event given your situ, would it really be an isolated thing? I have other friends who were in crap neighborhoods, eventually targeted for whatever reason (not directly for drugs), and it wasn't a one-time thing. They all moved for safety, since their necks got sore from ducking.

Hopefully the gun is just a stop-gap until you can find greener pastures.

While a machine gun would be great, I think the ATF might have an issue with that. My home defense? A shotgun with the minimum legal barrel length and a pistol grip. For some reason intruders can be tempted still with a pistol in the mix. But one pump of a shotgun with 12 gauge buckshot always sends em running. And it very cheap and mobile.

My two cents, if you want a cheap feel good home defense, buy a cheap home defense weapon that will work, not piss someone off. I had mentioned in my previous post about going to a pawn shop and getting a cheap pistol. The last thing you want is someone breaking in, you pulling your piece, and the shell jamming or misfiring. I can not say this enough, get a short barreled, pistol grip shotgun. And when the local homies are out in the streets, sit on your porch and clean the thing a few times; you'll have no problems.

While a machine gun would be great, I think the ATF might have an issue with that. My home defense? A shotgun with the minimum legal barrel length and a pistol grip. For some reason intruders can be tempted still with a pistol in the mix. But one pump of a shotgun with 12 gauge buckshot always sends em running. And it very cheap and mobile.

My two cents, if you want a cheap feel good home defense, buy a cheap home defense weapon that will work, not piss someone off. I had mentioned in my previous post about going to a pawn shop and getting a cheap pistol. The last thing you want is someone breaking in, you pulling your piece, and the shell jamming or misfiring. I can not say this enough, get a short barreled, pistol grip shotgun. And when the local homies are out in the streets, sit on your porch and clean the thing a few times; you'll have no problems.

lol I thought about putting a rebel flag up outside the house. That's better than any ADT sign you can get. Think about it, when you see some house with a rebel flag, you're first thinking there's some crazy wacko inside with about 10 different types of guns. It's called being a "hard target." :thumbsup: But really, the shotgun is the best bet, I just don't know what the minimum barrel length is for around here, but I'll check around. It's easy to get carried away when talking about guns, and pretty soon Medic will come in and suggest I put a tank in the back hard or just plant a few c4 tripwires around. I'm pretty convinced that, while a pistol is nice and mobile, there's too much of a danger of it going through multiple walls, and not to mention it's easier to miss.

lol I thought about putting a rebel flag up outside the house. That's better than any ADT sign you can get. Think about it, when you see some house with a rebel flag, you're first thinking there's some crazy wacko inside with about 10 different types of guns. It's called being a "hard target." :thumbsup: But really, the shotgun is the best bet, I just don't know what the minimum barrel length is for around here, but I'll check around. It's easy to get carried away when talking about guns, and pretty soon Medic will come in and suggest I put a tank in the back hard or just plant a few c4 tripwires around. I'm pretty convinced that, while a pistol is nice and mobile, there's too much of a danger of it going through multiple walls, and not to mention it's easier to miss.

18 inches is minimum barrel length for a shotgun(It also must have a total length of 26 inches). Unless you want to get special permission from the ATF for an SBS.

ETA: Here is a link to a site that does penetration testing with firearms. The Box O' Truth

ETA2: .40S&W out of a 5inch barrel doesn't penetrate brick.

Edited by Yoshi

That's a decent report. Usually smaller rounds will penetrate further because they don't expand as much. The bigger the caliber, the more stopping power, but less penetration. The Myth Busters water test taught me that.

Some things he could have done to make a more accurate test was to put a think layer of insullation in between the sheetrock, as that would significantly reduce the penetration. He could also simulate an exterior wall by mixing one pine board in with the sheetrock. I saw a video somewhere (i forget where) with soldiers demonstrating penetration in a cinderblock house, showing how an M16 round would pass through both interior and exterior walls easily. It's really an interesting thing to try. A shotgun seems like the best bet for home defense anyways. Think of the spread helping you hit your target easier since more than likely you'll be either very nervous or very sleepy or both. It's just those daggum length rules that suck lol.

That's a decent report. Usually smaller rounds will penetrate further because they don't expand as much. The bigger the caliber, the more stopping power, but less penetration. The Myth Busters water test taught me that.

Some things he could have done to make a more accurate test was to put a think layer of insullation in between the sheetrock, as that would significantly reduce the penetration. He could also simulate an exterior wall by mixing one pine board in with the sheetrock. I saw a video somewhere (i forget where) with soldiers demonstrating penetration in a cinderblock house, showing how an M16 round would pass through both interior and exterior walls easily. It's really an interesting thing to try. A shotgun seems like the best bet for home defense anyways. Think of the spread helping you hit your target easier since more than likely you'll be either very nervous or very sleepy or both. It's just those daggum length rules that suck lol.

At the range you'd be shooting from, the pellets wouldn't spread out very much. Shotgun Patterns at close range

ETA: Make sure you use Buck Shot in a shotgun. It's the only reliable man-stopper. Buck Shot spread

Edited by Yoshi

In case anyone needed convincing:

Knowing how to shoot a gun (safely) and defend yourself against an attacker will come in handy. WikiHow has several helpful articles such as How to Handle a Firearm Safely, How to Combat Ready (Tactically Prepare) Yourself with a Pistol, How to Defend Yourself from an Attacker , How to Defend Yourself, and How to Clear a Building with a Firearm.

Why is knowing this so important? Won?t the cops help you if you get into a pickle? Uh?.did you know that the cops aren?t legally obligated to protect you?

Seriously. Believe it or not even Steven Seagal, ?Lawman? may not have your back if you are being chased by a crazy loon demanding your Chicken McNuggets. The statement dispels every notion that if you call 911, someone will automatically help you.

However in the book, ?Dial 911 and Die,? attorney Richard W. Stevens cites several cases, in nearly every state, where citizens fell victim to criminal attack without police response. In nearly every case, when the victim or their families tried to sue, the state dismissed the case or upheld its decision on appeal.

Stevens says that the case of Hartzler v. City of San Jose illustrates his point. Ruth Bunnell called 911 for help when she was threatened by her estranged husband, however the police refused to respond for nearly 45 minutes. Bunnell was ultimately murdered by her husband.

After reading this case, Stevens says that he was led to believe that, ?the government owes no duty to protect individual citizens from criminal attack.? Chilling conclusion, huh?

TLDR; Get a shotgun, 12 gauge buckshot and aim for the chest.

Yes my wife (who's from a country that banned arms as far back as the middle ages and has been occupied by about 4 different countries ever since) isn't even dumb enough to trust the police to respond, but is scared $%$less of firearms. We're going to go over a plan tonight for a "rally point" in case there really is a home invasion. Basically, it's just an easy way of saying if someone breaks into the house, this is where they're likely to be coming from, and this is where she takes the kid. If that's not the case, then they go out some other way.

The big problem is that I live in a rancher with a 4' wide hallway that extends about 10' into the living room. If a confrontation takes place, it's most likely to happen in that hallway, which is dangerous for a number of reasons, but offers and advantage or two as well. The problem I have with a 12 gauge is that the pressure from a blast down a cooridor that small would blow my eardrums out. If that's the price I gotta pay to protect my family, it's worth it, but I'm wondering if a .410 or 20 gauge would be better? I know all about stopping power and ammunition choices with home defense weapons, but I haven't seen any significant information on the sound issue, and since I haven't shot a 12-gauge since I was 12yrs old, it seems important to me. What do you guys think?