Spartans Home

The Dirt Staircase

MedicSN6

Too much dirt? Getting Lost? Me too, until I decided to use the dirt for profit. It's very simple.

Make a dirt staircase, either vertical or sloped and have it connect to existing grass blocks.

Grass seems to do best when its doubled up, so if making a sloped staircase ( I like to think of it like a grass escalator) make it a minimum of two blocks wide, and (this is important) when changing z-levels (going up or down) be sure that the dirt blocks are stacked.

Let's see if I can do it with sprites

So basically you need to have a soil block underneath the one you would use as a step.

To go straight down, make your standard 3x3 spiral stair (leave the center open to sky to eliminate need for torches), and again be sure to stack the dirt.

This is great for at least three reasons:

* You will have pleasant green paths underground.

* You will actively seek out dirt pockets to mine to spread your 'creep'

* You will have a source of pork and leather underground.

Notes:

* Grass requires light

* Grass grows best with copious amounts of dirt

* Grass will not grow on a single block width of soil very far

* Grass will surprise you by breaking these rules occasionally

Bonus:

* Pork underground

* Never get lost

* You get the call the spread of grass 'the creep' which is a fun game in itself

EDIT:

I should have stressed the "tend to 'the creep' meta-game" rather then using this technique as a means avoid getting lost in caves. This in no way supplants the time honored methods of signs, torch placement and redstone trails.

My intent is to share with you another way to enjoy the game.

Keep on the Grass, r/minecraft! ;)

SOURCE: