Spartans Home

Win 7 & dealing with analog and digital displays

SirSmokalot

Hi All;

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this with Win 7. I'm not 100% its a driver issue but could be related, unfortunately nVidia is directing me to Dell as we got our Quadro FX 3800 and 4000 cards with our Precisions where this problem is appearing. Dell of course will be clueless to this issue.

Things to know first off about the systems:

-Dell Precision T5500/5400's

-Windows 7 (64bit not really applicable here)

-nVidia Quadro FX 3800/4000 cards with 1 single DVI link and 2 x Display Port connections (DOES NOT SUPPORT triple head)

-Latest Autodesk certified driver for AutoCAD / Revit / 3DS Max 259.57

-Analog display = Epson 1810t Projector

-Digital Display = Dell P2210

Issue:

When connected to a single Analog connection via a DVI to VGA adapter the monitor is seen as "Display 1", BUT when a digital monitor is connected via Display Port the digital display robs the designation of "Display 1" and then the Analog display becomes "Display 2".

When you disconnect the Digital display the Analog then reverts back to Display 1.

Rebooting does nothing as it may have helped in XP, but other then that I've looked to other resources on the internet and haven't been able to find out how I can dictate the Analog display as #1 even when a digital display is connected. I don't have many options, but one I'm considering is buying Displayport to VGA adapters for the workstations in question, that or request funding for digital projectors to replace the existing projectors....lol.

Hi there,

before trying to figure out a path to a solution, I would like to understand your needs a bit better.

1 - do u use 2 displays always connected? Probably not.Which one is the most connected?

2 - You said Digital when connected goes to 1 and analog to 2, why can t you keep it like that? why analog need to stay display 1?

3 - did you try to manually assign analog to 1 and digi to 2 while connected together? I m not familiar with Nvidia drivers, but it could be just the way it is with your hardware, giving priority to digital if present.

4 - why is so important having analog as display 1?

5 - if you dont use the 2 displays at the same time (extended desktop or other), you may want to think to get a switch box, so u connnect the 2 displays to the box and switch one to other thru the box. Finally you have only one display active at the time, but th PC shouldn t see the difference

1 - do u use 2 displays always connected? / 2 - You said Digital when connected goes to 1 and analog to 2, why can t you keep it like that? why analog need to stay display 1?? / 4 - why is so important having analog as display 1???

>DisplayPort->P2210 (Digital)

>DVI to Analog (Adapter)->Projector(Analog)->P2210 (Analog)

Keep in mind this was also tested with 2 P2210's, one hooked up via analog (VGA) and Digital, detecting each monitor via EDID through Adapter, Projector's EDID is being passed to Windows.

Currently two labs have this configured where the pc hooks up directly to the projector, which "daisy chains" the Analog signal (VGA) whether its on or off. The instructor then can turn on the projector at whim and be able to project what their Desktop is doing. Usually you would think that you would use the secondary output for a projector but in this case they want to use the desktop. Now in this situation you would also think unlocking the taskbar and dragging it over would do it, BUT the menus in Autodesk products are populating on the number 1 display. Even when you dictate number 2 is the primary monitor.

3 - did you try to manually assign analog to 1 and digi to 2 while connected together? I m not familiar with Nvidia drivers, but it could be just the way it is with your hardware, giving priority to digital if present.

Yep, nothing in the driver it seems even with digging fairly deep. Gave up after resetting certain registry keys that retained settings for the monitor, rebooted and populated configs based on rediscovery. Did this since image was based on prior connectivity to monitors via digital (DVI and DP). Once I plugged the second port via DP as only 2 display ports are left to connect to (closer to the motherboard as well), the primary and desktop shifted to the digital connected monitor.

5 - if you dont use the 2 displays at the same time (extended desktop or other), you may want to think to get a switch box, so u connnect the 2 displays to the box and switch one to other thru the box. Finally you have only one display active at the time, but th PC shouldn t see the difference

Sorry Not applicable. Wish it was so, be alot simpler.

I had the same problem with analog, win 7 wants you to use digital only, you can set it to run in analog in desplay settings, outher then useing a mix of digital and analog good luck, you will have to mod the ini files in desplay driver to make it work. Or for monitor 2 set the desplay resolution untill minitor #2 works.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~