Spartans Home

I bought a BR player

Well after talking with the wife a bit about the HTPC vs. BRp, she vetoed my HTPC (for the downstairs system) and wants something simple that she doesn;t have to wait long and worry about it not working. I explained the benefits and downsides to each setup and she wanted it to be simple. SO a BRp it was.

We went shopping the other night and went to Target and Best Buy and found the SAMSUNG WiFi Ready Blu-ray Player BD-C5500.

I think this will be more than adequate for our BR needs.

I have some questions though.

1. Is it worth it to buy older movies like pre-HD on BR? My initial thought is No. But I have read that some movies are worth it.

2. I need to hook it up to the internet and the proprietary USB Samsung WiFi adapter is $80.00. Another solution would be to do it wired but I would need to setup a router to router or access point connection which I have no idea how to do.

Modem and router are upstairs in the office. Running a wire is a no-go because it is a townhouse. I'd prefer to do wired because I can hook it up to both the BR player and my Nintendo Wii.

Any thoughts?

3. Anything else I should know?

Well,

Talking about BDs or BRs, depending how you want to abreviate, my only point is related to the video and audio enhancememnt they provide.

So, to answer from my point of view to your question about the "old" movies on BDs, well.. depend on the movie I guess.

BR delivers HD video and audio. For the old movies, it means they have been remastered and enhanced, but is a digital enhancement, not native, so it may not be perfect.

I do assume you have a good HDTV and most importantly a good Audio Surround system. Without that BDs wouold not make that much of sense. Especially Audio on BDs is offering a great enhancement, being usually DTS not compressed.

About the ability to go on internet, I honestly didn t find it too much useful. The online content I am not sure it would justify the extra 80 bucks for the adapter or the hassle to have wires all over the place. I think is a personal judgment tho :)