Spartans Home

I had to rebuild my HTPC

So, here we go...

it took a few hours of my time, but i had to fix it. Funny thing is I had to revert to WINDOWS XP PRO 32 to have all working like a charm.

This is a bit disappointing, but this machine is just a media server, so honestly, Win 7 is wasted on it.

My problem was mostly with PowerDVD 10, Bluray playback and in part with ORB sharing network.

PowerDVD problem was nasty tho. In short, i have my HTPC connected analog to my Logitech Z5500 to have DTS and DD 5.1 from DVDs and/or BDs.

I recently discovered with huge disappointment PowerDVD was not able to recognize my Speaker config as a 5.1 and was forcing a Stereo or Quadrophonic output no matter what.

I tried all reasonable solutions under Win 7 and then i just took a decision to step back to XP Pro. Fortunately not that much to reinstall for this machine, it runs real miimal config.

With full happiness, just right out the box, powerDVD recognized myy full 5.1 config and sound qualityy now is excellent !

ORB network Issue was broadcasting Live TV, the first connection resulted in no audio, while the second one got perfect audio. Annoying but you can live with.

Now, reverted to XP is working perfect as it was in fact used to do.

It has been over 1 year now i didnt use XP (except at my office), but I have to say I am glad I stepped back.