Spartans Home

COD : Black Ops

Yankee~SPARTA~

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a good game it looks good and needs more ppl playing it :) i played lastnite it was fun cant wait to get on a crouch server with some decent admins.

Hey Guys,

I know you don't like blatent advertising on your forums, but.....

I saw GySgt's post and thought I'd mention we at the 509th have a tactical servers up and running for Black-ops. One Ranked and one un-ranked.

We are enforcing a crouch only, tacctical style of play, so if you feel like a respite from the run'n'gun rambo's that most other servers are, pop in and say hi. Without mods available to limt running, we are actively policing our servers and removing the yahoo's when an admin is present, so for the most part we have a good crowd...

Given the issues with the server listings, you might find our servers, 509th.net Tactical, or add me as a friend in Steam and we can see about getting you an invite, username is abyssmaster, profile name is Samurai.

It's all about keeping the fun in tactical.....

Respectfully....

[509th]Samurai

Game won't launch. Steam repeats "Performing first time setup..." procedure.

Manually download and install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime.

Why am I "unnamed soldier"? How do I get a normal name?

This means your Steam name is 3 characters or less, which is currently unsupported by Black Ops (bug?). Simply increase the length of your Steam name.

I have my clan tag set on Steam, but the brackets are removed in game.

Remove your clan tag from your Steam name. Then in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players) alter seta clanName "clantag" to match your clan tag - it will put it in square brackets.

How can I improve my hit registration and general network performance?

cl_maxpackets 100

snaps 30

How can I remove the cap/limit on my maximum FPS?

com_maxfps 120

When trying to install off disc it gets hung up on "steam setup" then says "failed to run install script"

If you are on Windows XP; Start > Run > "C:\Program Files\steam\steam.exe -install E"

On Windows 7; Windows key + R "C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steam.exe -install E"

If "E" is not your CD-ROM drive, change it!

If your PC supports multi-threading:

seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players)

To be honest, and I always am(often to my detriment), my first night with the game was laggy and I truly disliked much of the graphics I saw then.

However, my second night was primo and I loved it. Absent me not being a fan of the "NUKETOWN" graphics (I'm told they are purposely cheesy in order to emmulate a 1950's era town mock-up used to test nukes) that made me think I was playing the SIMS, I have changed my position on the graphics. While not a great upgrade of the graphics from COD4, perhaps on par with W@W, though different, I think they are very good now, just lacking in the character graphics.

I have found that if you get on the correct server, this game is a blast, everything that COD4 was, except some better maps. Many of the maps are spectacular.

I highly recommend this game now even though some network code patching is needed.

@Yankee... Excellent information. I will have to make some adjustments.

@Cy... I didn't have the game on the first night but I am sure it was laggy as hell. It seems that when a server is full, the lag is far more prevalent/noticeable. I usually try to find a map with half or just under half of the max players. So, about 7 or 8. Usually I will pick one with 7 so I can even the server out instead of the reverse. I have found that there is virtually no lag in servers with limited players.

Another thought I had playing yesterday with Sir Hajimoto was that I actually enjoy Domination mode in this game as opposed to BF:BC2 where domination is my least favorite and TDM is my game. Granted, it could be that map design and flag placement are key factors in this but, for me, the mode is very satisfying. For TDM however, the map design tends to lead towards more hiding/camping and I fell this is directly attributed to the map designs where there are far more nooks and crannies to cover especially by your lonesome. To rack up points, all one needs to do is find a nook and place a claymore on his 6 and then shoot at those running by. This isn't anything particularly new as many games have done this. I feel that there is a balance between the openness (with nooks and crannies, hiding under stairs, sniper positions, etc.) of the map and the playability of the game. There a couple of the maps which you know you are going to die a whole bunch of times just because of the design of the map itself. In this, BF:BC2 is no different.

TK'ing is a huge problem but then again it has always been a huge problem. Not so much the TK'ing because 99.9% of the time it is accidental and preventable by communication. So the control factor is how server admins deal with TK'ers. I think we can all agree that should be some tact and rationale used when making decisions. So should a player be blamed for a TK when he is covering a doorway, sees and enemy and opens fire, then some retarded team mate steps into your line of fire??

Let me take a step back and say that one of our Legion of Sparta Community members was kicked from server for TKing 4 times in one match. The problem is that it is a small map with natural choke points where idiots on both sides run through to their slaughter. Holding back and using hard cover while covering the door is the logical thing to do. So when you see an enemy player coming up and you open fire, then some retard runs in front of you and dies, it's your fault. Not the idiot. How does this make any sense.

I took up for said player and hopefully they will consider my rational argument. Needless to say, I won;t be back to that server. What is even funnier is that I know that I had TK'd numerous times in that same match and I was still in, so WTF.

I know, I know... this sounds more like a complaining rant than actual information, so please, let me get to the point which is two fold.

1. As moderators and admins, we need to take into account the behavior of all players in the server when considering a kick/ban, not just the TK count, but the whole picture. For the record, I feel that SPARTA is awesome at this already and I'm just stating it here because it is important.

2. If you TK, apologize. Apologize in ALL CHAT so everyone can see it. Apologize every time. It doesn't matter if it is your fault or the fault of the retard that ran right to where you just tossed a frag. It doesn't matter. This is about perception by ignorant server admins, not about your pride. They will kick you first and not even think about asking questions.

More to follow I am sure.

To say that this game is going to be BIG! would be an understatement when there were 60k+ players on last night on over 11.5k servers! Although I love MoH, the numbers don't compare. My first couple of nights impression has continued to evolve and if a server is admin'd properly, one can play for hours and hours without boredom as the maps are GREAT, save the one "Nuketown", and all the various modes are available. Put the modes in rotation, leave out the run'n gun modes (if there are any, I haven't checked them all out yet), keep S&D, TDM, HQ, etc., and server should stay pretty full.

I would note that Polite and Friendly have 4 servers, 3 in US and 1 in UK, all were full at 10pm Eastern except for the UK server (3am there at the time?) and it had 6-8 players.

I am certainly moved into the "Highly Recommended" column on this one now.

Also, those tweaks noted by Yankee are TREMENDOUS and make a hell of a difference in the perceived lagginess of the game. It will be worth their time for anyone who applies these adjustments.

Great post Medic

We will need All the active Moderators help with this game as THAT is what makes it great is servers with Admins.

So with that said we are looking for a SERVER and hope to have it up soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. As moderators and admins, we need to take into account the behavior of all players in the server when considering a kick/ban, not just the TK count, but the whole picture. For the record, I feel that SPARTA is awesome at this already and I'm just stating it here because it is important.

2. If you TK, apologize. Apologize in ALL CHAT so everyone can see it. Apologize every time. It doesn't matter if it is your fault or the fault of the retard that ran right to where you just tossed a frag. It doesn't matter. This is about perception by ignorant server admins, not about your pride. They will kick you first and not even think about asking questions.

i cant promise anything but i will get the game some time next week and hopefully find the time for some fun gaming again. At the time though i am running an old graphics card that won´t run the game.

Check EVGA. They are running a trial kind of promo right now that you can get a GTS 450 for like $65 collateral and then if you decide to keep it that is all you have to pay. Or you can send it back and get your money back.

I was thinking about doing this to have a spare card for testing.

For what its worth, here's my suggestion for server rules/announcements:

• Welcome to LOSC HC/tactical server.
  • Read and follow the rules - they are enforced!
  • Crouch and walking movement only.
  • No running unless under direct fire.
  • No bunny hopping or dolphin diving.
  • No foul language or trash talk.

One of the servers we've been playing on allows for walking movement w/o sights up and I think its a nice compromise and works well with Black Ops - so Im suggesting we copy it.

Ive figured out how to construct a Greek classical helmet on a shield using the playercard in COD:BO. Hali had mentioned his interest in one of these for his playercard - I'll post some screen shots and general instructions on how to make it if folks are interested. It involves using at least 6 layers and six icons.

OK, so I played around some more - there are loads of classical greek shield designs you can do with the playercard system. Here are some I did.

spartanhelm1

spartanhelm3

spartanhelm4

spartanchevron

spartanscorp

The classic Spartan chevron is really easy to make. Also, a simple google images search for "greek shield symbols" will net you dozens of things to get ideas from.

Im quite partial to the "60s special forces tiger badge" I currently have, but if everyone else goes greek I will too.

PS - Ill gladly help or even outright design someones player logo if they like.

Edited by BrerRabbit~SPARTA~