Spartans Home

MC server issues

MedicSN6

So i tried to set up a server on an extra PC I have. It ran fine but it was a Browser only version and I could only get it to work in 'god' mode where you just ceate stuff. It was not SMP (Survival Multiplayer) like I had wanted.

Also, even after setting the server up, I could not enter it by IP on my main rig. I followed the guides on the wiki and on MC.net and this prior was all it yielded.

I need to figure out how to set up a private server where we can connect by IP only. None of this browser public crap.

Any thoughts or help are appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have fallen to the depths in this super simple game.. I set up a server Medic, see if you can connect.

Use this to connect to it: kalxen.homeip.net:2400

If that doesn't work, it may not take hostnames.. so do a nslookup on kalxen.homeip.net to get the IP of the day and connect via that instead. Also, let me know what your minecraft account name is so I can add you to the admin list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Medic asked about this today - there has not been an update to the server files by the minecraft.net website. I think that the reason the server is causing issues on my box is due to the size of the map now in memory. I'm sure that if the map world was smaller we'd be okay, but with it now a 80 megs its soaking up @ 2gig in memory and makes it more prone for memory bugs.

I am going to see if there is an editor which will let me reduce the world size.

Medic asked about this today - there has not been an update to the server files by the minecraft.net website. I think that the reason the server is causing issues on my box is due to the size of the map now in memory. I'm sure that if the map world was smaller we'd be okay, but with it now a 80 megs its soaking up @ 2gig in memory and makes it more prone for memory bugs.

I am going to see if there is an editor which will let me reduce the world size.

We could just start a new one with the rule that there is to be no extraneous 'exploring'. See how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...