Spartans Home

GTR Evo anyone?

SirSmokalot

I had a decent conversation with Zeno and a few others a little over a week or two ago about bringing GTR Evo or the likes back.

I've been playing around with GTR Evo again and messing about with custom tracks. I'm glad to see some favorites* from GTR 2 being converted over and its been fun to play with some classics, not to mention some classes I miss as well from the GT3 and GT2 series of FIA GT.

I was wondering if you guys are intending on hosting a server as I'd like to volunteer some hosting options and work out some details to give some controls for a few individuals.

I've recently purchased an old work machine (Dell Precision 490 w/ dual procs, not dual cores, dual physical procs) and will be setting it up to do various things. Namely I'll be setting up a VM to host a game server here and there. So let me know if there will be enough interest to do so. I'm not promising it will be done by this weekend, but I can say it will be done in the next couple of weeks.

I'll be targeting GTR Evo mainly for the Track Project** (I'll eventually be working on), but also to host some other tracks as well for the fun of it.

Inline with this I'll be also offering these in an all in one package that works for everyone. As a base I'll add a few track favorites, and some Porsche addons. I'll add more cars as not everyone loves Porsches (yes I know there's some Ferrari and F430 fans out there). So the more input I can get the better it will be. I'd like ultimately to get some Group C IMSA type cars (917 good example) as those I used to love or LMP type cars.

As I stated before this will not come immediate in getting this setup so its setup right.

* (Watkins Glenn -includes GP, NASCAR, and other; Laguna Seca; Osterreichring (pre A1); Norrisring; Monaco; LeMans; Road America GP; Surfers Paradise (Lexmark 500?)).

**Track Project will be first done for GTR Evo as there's plenty of tutorials and guides for GTR and the likes not to mention tools to build tracks and surfaces.

Edited by SirSmokalot

Well don't jump to it yet mate....I need to get the server OS installed and the VM's. I project that will be all done and said sometime late next week. Friday I'll be picking up the box from our warehouse and will be out of town till Saturday evening, so no rush.

(Watkins Glenn -includes GP, NASCAR, and other; Laguna Seca; Osterreichring (pre A1); Norrisring; Monaco; LeMans; Road America GP; Surfers Paradise (Lexmark 500?)).

Inline with this I'll be also offering these in an all in one package that works for everyone. As a base I'll add a few track favorites, and some Porsche addons. I'll add more cars as not everyone loves Porsches (yes I know there's some Ferrari and F430 fans out there). So the more input I can get the better it will be. I'd like ultimately to get some Group C IMSA type cars (917 good example) as those I used to love or LMP type cars.

Do you have some favorite tracks or mods you would like to see besides what I already stated??

Sounds cool except the "Ring" part ;) This might be a "special" from time to time, if not a regular to get to know it.

I was actually looking at a version someone did that has the VLN route (short GP portion of track and back on to Norde'). Doing Qualification laps and pitting is a little tricky there which makes it a nice change from other tracks.

Spa I'm surprised at, but cool.

The Porsche pack with the F430's is a definite must, and the Mustang pack I'd be interested in as well.

Too technical, not for casual racing. But I do like "championships".

For a "championship" or "season", I like to get semi technical. But the most technical I'd get is making tire wear or fuel consumption such that you have to pit at least once or twice, if not more depending on others. Predictably, there was bad feedback about this at first, later it was embraced since it balances the field when you have a "championship" setting, not for quick 3-5 lapper's.

I'm not sure if that seems over the top to you. Was thinking about having a monthly race "championship" that everyone preps for much like TacDom. I know 2-3 people at GA that would be interested so far in just the racing aspect if not more.

Example of a typical "Monthly Championship" and reasoning:

*3-5 races, outcome of that series is the winner for that championship. Podium finishes acknowledged.

*Multiple class racing sometimes (Podiums for each), up to 3 different classes at one time if enough people show up.

*1 Qualify for 20min (in order to get at least 2 laps at "The Ring" plus gives people time to show up, run hot-laps, and tweak last min settings before main race)

*Pre-Race Warmup (to build the anxiety of the impending race and get warmed up, can be skipped in a vote but nice to have.)

*20-25min race timer

-Laps will vary per course but time limit will keep race time fairly balanced.

-Race ends after the race leader finishes the lap in which time has run out. This makes it possible to balance time spent on one track opposed to another.

(Example: Race leader crosses finish line with 2 seconds remaining and starts new lap with 1 second left on timer, he will still have to finish lap to finish race, it doesn't end at immediate position when time runs out).

* Increased fuel consumption % in relation to how many agreed pits. (I'm thinking 2-3 maybe 4 or 5 if people want that)

-For those racing take a vote and find middle ground of whats acceptable. This can be handy in cases of being damaged and taking strategy for pits.

-Saved car settings makes this easy. It may sound complicated but it really leveled the playing field immensely as some newbies were actually better at pitting opposed to some.

*2 Race Format? Good for revenge.

*Tire wear; accelerated or normal..or none..debatable. I'm unbiased, done it all, slick races though (also balances field).

If there's fuel induced pits at least and having the ability to pit to repair car from race damage this becomes a plus.

Just a few settings I could get nutty with but that's the extremes with a champ race. Would love to do something like this sometime again, but still not sure Evo is the medium for it if there's a lack of interest. We shall see.

With the above settings we were able to have fairly fun and well balanced races in GTR2. But of course we did most of these with GT3 RS and RSR's.

Edited by SirSmokalot

Well I guess I didn't state it, but weighing more on the casual side, if there's enough interest to show, then can take it to the next level for championships.

See what happens.

For now I'll stack up a few tracks, round about the time a 3-5 lap race on average would be. More then likely not more then 10 min.

As for Autonomous settings, I'd probably add in some qualification time in order to collect people.

That's what I like about the game in qualification mode, you can casually arrive at the race, get some settings in, and warmed up for a race.

Sound reasonable?

I was just mentioning something I've done in the past when we had 12 people on most of the time consistently.

Besides collecting info so when server is all setup and broadcasting, you guys will have a decent setup to play with if you wanted.

On that note.....car preference? I'm guessing of course with the F430's and Porsches...but correct me if wrong.