Spartans Home

Anyone still play vinyl?

I've reached that part of my life where I've decided that my old vinyl is infinitely better than cd's & mp3. However, my current pioneer system won't support a turntable so I need a new setup. To keep costs down I'm relying on eBay and already have some bargains on the watch list, all backed by good indie reviews. I'm going for a Rega Planar 2 deck, mission speakers & Cambridge azur 640 cd player. When it comes to amps I'm focusing on an av/receiver, in particular an Onkyo. Just lost out on one at work for £80 :(

Going this route I need to get a pre-amp as the Onkyo's don't support turntables without one. Anyone already doing this & what's your verdict on sound quality?

I could go for a dedicated amp with turntable support bit they tend to be pricey & I don't get the same ability as I will with an av/receiver.

Comments, advice or suggestions appreciated.

Ta, Watchy

I am old and have loads of vinyl but no player, I was thinking of just buying a USB player from Maplins for £45 and connecting to my PC.

Are vinyl better? They sound different but with vinyl you can miss the highs and lows, so for example the 1812 overture sounds better on cd/mp3 due to the crescendo, on a vinyl the needle would jump off the record.

I will still buy a deck though, but cheap :)

Sound reproduction with vinyl is a lot to do with the equipment used. The deck I'm looking at retails around £400 and has an arm / cartridge combination that helps remove bounce. I hope to pick one up around £80.

At the end of the day I have a stack of favourite vinyl that I miss playing & don't want to throw cheap equipment at.

I have an Old (15-20years) Onkyo that I still use and just plug the rca jack on Turntable into a mini fitting so I can use the mic jack slot and use what you hear in Windows.

I have a stack of old Counrty records that I have copied then burnt to cd.... Still has lots of hiss and needle sounds but a good software could clean that stuff up.

p.s. yep need an amp cause my first few hours of recording I had to do over as It was not very audible. :wallbash:

I use a phono pre amp, and if needed my onkyo rig supports a phono but thats because its top class....lol

I have about 400-500 records left 40% classical music, the rest hissing Jimi Hendrix albums, the doors, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc etc etc.

Also I have a SACD player which is far far better than a normal CD player (96 bits vd 16) but there are little SACD's on the market, only one Pink Floyd, one Santana, no Jimi Hendrix, Doors etc etc.

If only....