Spartans Home

BSODs-techsupportforum

Ebden~SPARTA~

Here's the chief's assessment from techsupportforum-anyone to confirm? As it goes, looks like i'm in for a GPU-RMA since my 5700 is only 5 months old.

Looks like this is a video card error. I see you have MSI Afterburner installed, and Riva Tuner.

Are you doing any overclocking? If so, reset to defaults.

You may try messing with drivers, but I suspect that won't help. Can't hurt to try anyway.

Remove your current ATI drivers, by uninstalling them with Driver Sweeper.

Install these ones: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...win7_64_dd.exe

Test temps: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If you can get ahold of a name-brand PSU, test it out.

If you can get to another graphics card, that would be best.

Also on the to-do list:

Remove AVG with this tool: http://download.avg.com/filedir/util...removerx64.exe

Replace it with MSE: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

...Summary of the Dumps:

Code:

Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621

Debug session time: Mon Oct 11 07:15:33.850 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:41.458

BugCheck 4E, {8d, 7cadc, 510001, fffff68000024669}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MmZeroPageThread+90c )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x4E_8d

PROCESS_NAME: System

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Debug session time: Sat Oct 9 18:32:55.440 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:26:55.048

BugCheck 119, {7000000, fffffa8005a22410, fffffa8006a7faf0, fffffa80064a6010}

Probably caused by : dxgmms1.sys ( dxgmms1!VidSchiCheckConditionDeviceCommand+8c )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x119

PROCESS_NAME: BFBC2Game.exe

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Debug session time: Sat Oct 9 18:05:21.125 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:32.733

BugCheck 50, {fffff8004b981fc5, 8, fffff8004b981fc5, 5}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+40e8b )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x50

PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe

Debug session time: Wed Oct 6 17:15:19.901 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 2:15:42.508

BugCheck A, {8, b, 1, fffff80002e759c6}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+64831 )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: arma2oa.exe

Debug session time: Tue Oct 5 17:11:52.408 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:02:10.016

BugCheck 1A, {403, fffff68000025190, 8ed000007e639867, fffff6800002515c}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+31ef2 )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x1a_403

PROCESS_NAME: MSIAfterburner

Debug session time: Thu Sep 30 18:40:54.394 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:56.001

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff800031a3d99, fffff88009c6fa40, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!CmpGetNameControlBlock+12e )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B

PROCESS_NAME: SearchIndexer.

Debug session time: Mon Sep 27 15:16:16.436 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:10:35.044

BugCheck 50, {fffff80075f79df0, 8, fffff80075f79df0, 5}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+1332 )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x50

PROCESS_NAME: ts3client_win6

Debug session time: Fri Sep 24 07:18:39.990 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 2:39:18.598

BugCheck 19, {3, fffff80003004a70, 76c29ddc00000000, fffff80003004a70}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+a56 )

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x19_3

PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe

Debug session time: Tue Sep 21 17:56:28.338 2010 (UTC - 4:00)

System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:44.820

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80002ebdac5, fffff880009a9958, fffff880009a91c0}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiZeroPageChain+9a )

PROCESS_NAME: System

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7E

Then from me:

Thanks for the tip about the GPU-is it the GPU memory that is throwing errors?

Correction on the GPU install date-it was late May/early June 2010-so about 4 months regular use.

As far as RivaTuner, I have had it on this machine-but I thought I removed the program.

The video driver link you used is bad. Do you mean the Sept 15,2010 release? I have that driver/ATI catalyst set.

I am currently running the CPU at stock, no OC.

I've previously used speedfan, but I uninstalled it after consistent temps across heavy use stayed low. Reinstalled and I'll observe again.

Can you suggest a good free registry cleaner, or are they just a sham?

I take it though, despite the above, that I am looking at either a bad PSU or most likely a faulty GPU. I'd like to test the GPU somehow before condemning the purchase. Suggestions

J-k's most recent response

Registry cleaners are indeed a sham; their usefulness is debated, and they have caused so many problems, including BSODs, that we cannot recommend them.

To test GPU: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...t-furmark.html

Yes, those drivers were the September release. I only checked the date of the first dump I ran, and it was August. You could have updated since then.

Windows doesn't have a clear-cut message such as "Probably caused by: BAD_RAM", or "Probably caused by: BAD_VIDEO_MEMORY". Such suspicions must be deduced by a lack of information, actually.

The DirectX and display drivers were blamed in separate dumps, as well as the 0x119 bugcheck code. That does point to video error.

Hi Ebden,

Although you post your dumps here, I have no idea what is the symptom you are having on your PC. I understand is a BSOD. From your dumps I see memory issues, and ATI driver component issues.

Unfortunately not always those "culprits" are real. Dealing with memory issues I saw being reported components and never beenn the same or just not being consistent. That s because it was the memory failing.

Also, is not possible to determine if is the System RAM failing or the Video RAM failing. Test goes by trial.

I found this post worthy for you to read:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=104677

Before deciding for an RMA on your videocard, you should be sure that is the reason. The only way to test that is installing another known working videocard and testing for a while.

That may mean just go to a store, buy a 50 bucks card, use it for 3 days (be sure u can return your product) and then return it.

Your test is not to stress the graphic, just be sure your graphic works and is not failing anymore because a RAM issue, which would happen anyway also with the cheap graphic card.

If with the cheap card you crash again, most probably your RAM is the issue.

Also, you could stress your RAM with a program called PRIME95, be sure to get the 64 bit, and run the test permanent to RAM stress for a few hours. If you overclock your PC you can decide to run this test under OC and then repeat with OC disabled, to see if a failing RAM can work at normal speed.

If after testing with a cheap videocard and stressing your RAM you are not crashing anymore, go ahead with your card RMA.

I didn't look this AM, but I think I still have my 9800GT. I plan to put that in and see how she runs.

I'm a little suspicious of the RMA anyway-I opted for an ultra-high end model of the 5700 (oxymoron?) via a more expensive MSI mil-spec this&that-heatpipe-everything.

There appears to be no concern about software/OS issues, the crashes noted are on TS, system, BC2, arma, MSI, so going ahead with a HD-wipe&reinstall seems like needless tedium. If it is a config problem, I'd like to figure it out before just clearing the palette to start problems again.

As for the RAM-I bought it almost one year ago (Oct 16, exactly). It's passed all memtest runs thus far, but once I stopped overclocking I haven't run memtest past a couple full test cycles.

@bowtime-

she dumps about 1/2 the time at startup, when she's finishing loading support programs once the desktop is visible and interactive, perhaps 5-10 seconds once desktop is up. Other times are intermittent with gameplay or other program usage.

Note that the most recent three crashes (other than another one late yesterday, not in the bug list in the original post), all occurred within 1 minute of startup!

Sounds to me like your power supply has failed or is failing.

Open the case and watch the fan on the power supply see if it is turning constantly or is intermittent or not turning at all, check the CPU fan is spinning if you have one.

If you have AMD or ATI cpu/gfx, download their overdrive program and check heat on the CPU and GFX card.

A broke gfx card won't cause a BSOD , a bad driver will or lack of power.

When you boot up, hit f8 as it is just about to go to windows and fire up the pc in safe mode, see if it still BSOD.

My guess is though PSU issues

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the spec i read correct with a 450W power supply?

AMD (ATI)5700 series (assuming its not a GeForce FX 5700 as I saw an ATI driver file reference atikmdag.sys, please correct me if wrong here) cards require that you have at least a 500w power supply and above. This is dependant if the rest of your system has enough power as well.

Take a look at this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-15.html

Power%20Consumption.png

You might not even have enough Amps on the 12v rail after the video card draw to power your hard drive causing the BSOD.

And it could be that the PSU is done and not even giving enough of what it normally should.

Look at all the components and their power requirements, both Amps and Watts, then figure out a proper power supply. I bet that fixes your issue. 450 is way under powered for what you got starting with the video card.

Also what would really help is a proper listing of your machine specs which can be done easily in Win 7.

Please download and install CPU-Z as this will give you all the proper model numbers of Processor, motherboard (did state earlier but also lists bios version as well), and model number of video card exactly:

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.55-setup-en.exe

With this can deduce which 5700series card it is besides if its a 5750, 5770, etc.

Also we can look at your memory as well and see how much you have. A little known fact is that you need to account for how much memory you have in the power calculation, especially when you are cutting it close with power needs.

I'd say you would be in more of a comfortable power position from what we know right now (from the hardware configs that you gave at the other forum) at around 600W, maybe 550W, but not 450.

This might be the basis of the blue screen and why intermittent memory and GPU errors as you might not have enough power going through your system and all it takes is a hardcore read write session from your harddrive or DVD-rom to throw the system. I had this issue before my 850W upgrade when my SATA Lightscribe DVD burner would fire up. System would go wonkers. But see I have a 955 Deneb clocked up to 3.8ghz, an HIS 3850 TurboX OC, 8GB DDR2 800mhz and 3x 1GB Caviar Black HDD's, and a cheap old Audigy 2 SE sound card. My system was struggling witha 500 Ultra X-Connect from 2004.

So I upgraded to a Ultra 850w X-4 Connect as I love their quality of components, not to mention a Standard 3yr warranty, Lifetime if you register it. Longest I've had a power supply, not to mention all the treatment its been through. for about 6 mos I ran my current system config on that 500w, but had a slight issues, graphics and 3D issues that were intermittent, drives failing in a RAID array, etc.

All related to power as all the components were good.

Yes the power supply was $175 (normally $199, caught it on sale at TigerDirect), but the best power supply series you can buy as its FULLY modular (as they own the patent), meaning you only plugin and use the cables you need. Best dang power supply you can buy IMHO.

Edited by SirSmokalot

That is a great price for that PSU from TigerDirect - 80 bucks !

However, it is a SLI ready, while Ebden will be using ATI, meaning possibly one day a Crossfire config.

Honestly I do believe it should not be a big of a deal, because with those Specs, it should be absolutely be good also for a possible Crossfire config in the future. i do not recall any tech reason why a SLI ready should not be good for a Crossfire as well. It has to deliver power and amps, so what s the big deal to give such of a diversity?

.. I might be wrong..

99.9% sure you will find it is the PSU causing the problem, GFX cards are hyper sensitive to the tiniest fluctuation in voltage.

When I bought my ATI 4890 it installed fine (I had an 800w PSU at the time)and ran well in some games. I then started having random BSOD's and if I ran FurMark it would immediately shutdown, no error, no warning.

Turns out there was a minute fluctuation on one of the rails. I swapped for a 650w Corsair PSU and no problems since even when OC'ing the card.

Ebden, I don't trust that calculator as it said my work machine (Dell precision T5400) only needs 408 watts.

System Type: 1 physical CPU

Motherboard: High End - Desktop

CPU: Intel Xeon E5405 2000 MHz Harpertown

CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP

RAM: 4 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 4400

Video Type: Single Card

Regular SATA: 1 HDD <-500GB Caviar

High rpm SATA: 1 HDD <-300GB Velicoraptor

CD-ROM Drive: 1 Drive

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

Sound Blaster - All Models: Yes

Additional PCI Card (avg): 1 Card (<-E-SATA card)

USB: 4 Devices

Fans

High Performance: 1 Fan 92mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 100 %

Recommended Wattage: 408 Watts

The things come with 600watt power supplies, but for expandability. But even if you order this thing with dual cards, or dual CPU's (yes has another socket for another processor on the board) they upgrade the power supply from what I have.

I don't think the calculator is correct in calculating peak amps as well, so understand that having at least 40amps on your 12v rail will cover you. So check the PSU stats and check how many 12v rails.

Your choice man, but IMO 550+ minimum (600+ recommended highly) should help you more....if you do go looking, be sure to get an 80 Plus certified PSU so you get an efficient PSU instead of wasting electricity on one that soaks up as much power as a 1000Watt but gives you 500.

My suggestion is Corsair, OCZ, Ultra (my fav and personally used in 5+ PC's; friends, family, and my own), and a few others out there....read the reviews for whats best for you.

Edited by SirSmokalot

I won't be venturing toward anything more elaborate than my C2D anytime soon-$ better spent elsewhere. I'm still sold thus far on the NZXT550w,80plusGold. In the meantime, don't mind it if i disappear off TS for a few minutes every so often. It's just another BSOD.

dont forget the Amps :) must have the right amount of Amps ..so what are ur amps on the PSU? Oh what i did not see was the Amps rated on that link LOL 25 Amps is great for SLI/Crossfire.

Edited by GySgt~SPARTA~

Ebden, seriously buddy, get this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4558896&Sku=U12-40504

$20 extra bucks, get a lifetime warranty when you register it with Ultra, and you get 200+ more watts. Not to mention a super super solid 12+ volt rail bro...also modular...this is the same series as my 850 and its bad ass!!!

Watch the video in the details and you will see why!

(or skip to it here!)

I like Newegg and would rather shop there but Tiger has this and a few other products newegg doesn't.

Also in case it does go out after the 90days NZXT will force you to send it to them so they can repair it for a month. Ultra might but at least you have an option to secure a replacement with your credit card until they receive your old one.

for the money $20 extra bucks its worth it man....80 bronze rated too (85% efficiency or above).

Edited by SirSmokalot

cool looked it up.

Here's a better link for ya:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

$$$$$$ cheaper by $10

:thumbsup:

$10 rebate card offer good till 10/31

That's the same PSU dummy. I'm in Canada, my link was for newegg.ca. The US website doesn't offer int'l shipping anymore, but even when they did I would still lose on shipping costs.

That's the same PSU dummy. I'm in Canada, my link was for newegg.ca. The US website doesn't offer int'l shipping anymore, but even when they did I would still lose on shipping costs.

Trying to do you a favor, the Rebate is still valid for newegg.ca purchases, see rebate here:

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/Corsair10mirsOct1Oct3110mc69.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the new PSU a week ago, but still a few crashes since then. Still related to video drivers-but MSI Afterburner, now uninstalled, may be the culprit.

However, w/o that program my GPU fans don't kick in at increasing temps. Any alternative GPU monitoring programs for temp/fan control?