Spartans Home

F2010 replays

Luggage~SPARTA~

I have been suffering from I/O issues when the F2010 game starts writing the replay file to my C: drive. It may be that I am suffering from some issue with an early SSD drive, but whatever the cause, the response time writing the file is poor, and whilst my frame rate doesn't suffer indicatively on FRAPS, and my processor doesn't seem to be overworked, the result is judderly updates as if the machine is waiting for the file to flag the writes before moving on.

In discussions we have had, I know I am not the only one who has suffered this. To some degree the issue is less prevalent in multi-games but it is still clearly happening when I have performance monitor up.

I may have a possible fix which I am currently testing. Basically you can make a dynamic directory link to keep the standard directory structure in windows, but have the physical position of the directory somewhere else. To this end I have moved the file drop to D: and have made this link in the expected point so the game believes that all is well.

Initial tests are looking positive, but I will be able to report further once I have reset my game and gone through some places I know it occurs.

I will update forthwith - if not sooner.

pip-pip!

I would say that this has really solved it. Watched a constant disk write on performance monitor with no degradation in game performance.

1. Delete original replay folder (and file) by exploring to ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yourc omputersname\

NOTE: The folder 'ProgramData' is hidden; in order to see hidden files and folders you have to check a box in folder options.

Windows 7 -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> 'View' Tab -> Select 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'

Windows XP -> My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View - Select 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'

2. Open Command Prompt with admin privileges (search 'cmd' and right click on cmd.exe and select 'Run as Adminsitrator')

3. Use mklink to create the symbolic link. This is what I typed, but you must edit this with your own file directories:

mklink /D C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yo urcomputersname\replay H:\Games\F12010\replay

4. When launching the game, the 2GB replay.pbf file will be written to the file location you have specified. If you write this file to another hard drive, resources are freed up for your OS and game performance should increase.

I would say that this has really solved it. Watched a constant disk write on performance monitor with no degradation in game performance.

1. Delete original replay folder (and file) by exploring to ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yourc omputersname\

NOTE: The folder 'ProgramData' is hidden; in order to see hidden files and folders you have to check a box in folder options.

Windows 7 -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> 'View' Tab -> Select 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'

Windows XP -> My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View - Select 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'

2. Open Command Prompt with admin privileges (search 'cmd' and right click on cmd.exe and select 'Run as Adminsitrator')

3. Use mklink to create the symbolic link. This is what I typed, but you must edit this with your own file directories:

mklink /D C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yo urcomputersname\replay H:\Games\F12010\replay

4. When launching the game, the 2GB replay.pbf file will be written to the file location you have specified. If you write this file to another hard drive, resources are freed up for your OS and game performance should increase.

As you are aware, I am not experiencing these issues on my install but due to my insatiable appetite for problem solving, I began research in an attempt to assist in discovering a fix.

I also followed the above listed thread and determined that the reason I am NOT experiencing this lag issue was because my replay is already on another HDD. Many other forums express the same level of success as you have realized. Looks promising.

Recommend this be stickied as folks may not even realize they are victims of this condition.

Great post Luggage!