Spartans Home

re-installed

GySgt~SPARTA~

ya it was starting to run a little slow from all the DL and crap so i said what the heck (HELL) and went and NuKeD the Harddrive.. but this time ill only waste my time eer i Mean spend good times playing only multiplayer games online and not spend so much time with games that bore me LOL... so in that means ill need to save and find all the www.com.net.org.wtf.OMG <-------<<< WOW it actualy takes you their ehhe

Edited by GySgt~SPARTA~

• 4 months later...

Question?: I NEED GHOST OFF HD !! without problems ? :graduated: never did it..

my old HD(8mb cache 320Gb 7000rpm almost full with crapp & games) is not so fast so i wan't to create a ghost on a mutch faster HD (with more cache (32mb? memory)

_WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GP 1TB. 64Mb EARS is this any good ???? :poster_oops: only 55-Euro

Can somebody help me with a link to a free :worshippy: program i can use for this I am on WIN7 proffesional. (will this work?)

(i only wanne use one disk in my PC )

(win-7 HD is lowest score ; 5.7 score )

need more info i am flemish so keep it simple will ya

THX :rolleyes:

Edited by EBE

Well EBE, my pleasure to help you on this,

You also want to consider a few points before you start your new project.

BENEFITS and NOT BENEFITS of a Ghost Copy (or whatever you wanna call it, cloned partition and so forth)

BENEFITS:

In general having an operating System Ghost Copy (let s call it like this for simplicity) make sense for 2 reasons:

1 - Backup OS only (a nice and clean copy with no issues, no viruses and speedy performances)

2 - Easyness of reinstall (restoring a well working OS partition takes about 7 minutes versus 4 hours of a full install)

To achieve this, you have to prepare your project having 2 partitions on the same HD.

One partition will be a smaller one, Disk C:\ 50 or 80 GB and will host ONLY the OS and a very few basic programs you will install being closel;y related to the OS itself (can be Antivir and just very few absoulutely important programs)

Another partition will be the so called DATA Partition Disk D:\, meaning all Data, Documents, Pics, media, Programs, Games and so forth have to be installed on it. Therefore each new installation on your PC will not follow the standard Paths like C:\program file or whatever. It will have to be D:\"whatever-name-you-want-here". This is something you have to do manually.

If you will follow these simple rules, and you backup your OS on a Ghost copy once per month, you will have a pretty longevity on your system, being sure you have to only restore your OS partition if something goes wrong and all of your data and programs are there working like a charm.

NO BENEFITS

Making a Ghost copy of an existing HD, just to flip it to a new larger drive, WILL GIVE NO BENEFITS WHATSOEVER.

First of all, your OS is actually a piece of crap, infested of who knows how many useless programs, crapware, and other sort of slowness, you name it. Ghosting thatmeans keeping the same crap on a new larger HD. No cache memory will help you to solve that.

After that, most importantly you completely null the great opportunity Ghosting may offer to you.

BUTTOM LINE:

You need a full reinstall anyway. It will clean upo your system, it will make your machine fly and then you will really use some improvement from a larger cache on HD, although, do not believe it will change that much, because it is still proportional to the amount of data your drive has to handle. So, 350GB goes with a cache of 8 MB, 1 tera goes with 64 MB, as you see, you have more because you need it, not because is going to be "faster". it will be faster when the disk is almost empty, but when you will start to have a big load on that tera, you ll feel the difference.

Ghosting with the correct project will give you pretty good safety on back up and possibly performances.

Your old HD full of your personal stuff can be "transferred" to the new huge one, but it will not be the Active partition, It will be there, on the DATA partition as a folder you can call "My old stuff" and you will pick here and there what you need. All of those programs and games WILL NOT work and you have to reinstall everything from scratch.

It may sound painfull, but you will dicover you can live without a lot of stuff you never unistall it just because you are lazy ;)

A GREAT FREE SOFTWARE to do "Ghost" copies is:

EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.0

http://www.todo-backup.com/

I use it and is amazing.

Before starting anything, study the subject. If you need to know how to create a new partition of only 80GB during the Win 7 install, ask and i will explain.