Spartans Home

Currant shrubs-care?

Ebden~SPARTA~

Since returning from the field I've proceeded to play catch-up with our new home instead of banging around Chernarus.

So-I had a whack at what turned out to be three young red currant shrubs and four black currant shrubs. From what I read online after a short search offered pruining tips about knocking back all 4yr+ stems, and keeping the lot to just 2 or 3 good younger stems. After looking at the plants and the number of above-ground independent stems on the plant, it looks like I'm due to remove just about all of the plant. It seems like the idea is to put the growth energy into berries over stems and leaves, but the stems are so small that I can't see much berry potential from just 3 stems.

Is that right? Currants are a common UK thing, so maybe one of you knows the right way to care for them, help them grow to the right shape, etc.

Oddly enough, the best currant-producing branch at present was one that was nearly severed at the base a year or two ago (given regrowth) AND that was buried under other branches near the ground.

My ex neighbour had a lot of soft fruit in his garden; redcurrant, blackcurrant, raspberries etc. He always trimmed them down to one or two stems and pretty close to the ground. They always produced good fruit year after year.

My ex neighbour had a lot of soft fruit in his garden; redcurrant, blackcurrant, raspberries etc. He always trimmed them down to one or two stems and pretty close to the ground. They always produced good fruit year after year.

Are currant shrubs really supposed to be small little things? No growing a larger, mature plant to produce more berries? Those in my yard have a substantial root ball emerging from the earth, very hardy plant, so it seems incongruous to whack off all but a few stems. If that's the deal though, then that's what'll need doing tomorrow.

I didn't get a photo yet, but I found a use for one spool of my antique tarred marline (from a defunct New York chandlery, early 20th cent).

Something like this.

marline6-3.jpg

After identifying a couple curve-ball plants in our yard at the botanical garden I asked about currant cultivation, and the feller' explained it about the same as one would propagate grapes or other berry-producing plants. I used evenly-spaced stakes and several crossings of this marline about 12" apart on the vertical to 4'. I weaved or lashed the younger currant branches to this frame in a fan-like pattern. I cut anything that stuck too far out perpendicular, as well as a number of older branches. It looks far smarter than the chaotic shrub from before. One more black currant plant to go, but it's a beastly bush.

Next for the currant use will be to make a Jam fit for a Queen

confiture-groseilles-epepinees-06-500.jpg

with flowering plants and plants that need to produce fruit you need to know 2 things

1 make sure they get trimmed every now and then, or make sure the plant stays in need of space/ has a big root system and little plant

2 make sure it has enough water (not too much/little) and enough dung/food

In that way the plant willr eact by producing more flowers/fruit... that why you trim rose bushes, apple trees, grapes etc etc..... to make them do what you want....

strawberries are best ripped apart every 2 years, with some good soil, some water and not too much snails you'll have plenty to eat (if the kids don't pick the unripe strawberries as mine do off course....)