Spartans Home

Which Fan to buy....

If you're running the stock HSF (came w/processor) then almost anything will be a significant improvement. Zalman's are good and relatively inexpensive so maybe a 9500 or better yet a 9700.

Zalman 9500

Zalman 9700

I run the 9700 on a lapped E6600 @ 3150 Mhz and my idle tems are mid 30's with load in the vicinity of mid 50's or so...and that's with a significant load. Typically it's in the 40s.

I had a 9500 but in my environment it wasn't cooling enough for this modest overclock so I lapped the processor, put on a 9700 and it's been great ever since.

The links are just so you can take a look and not necessarily the best deal.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

lmao Halli...posted while I was typing...hillarious!

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

Cheap n Easy ...

Purchase a tube of paste ... pull off your original Heatsink and clean it out, As the fins are probably clogged up with dust and grime. Then clean your fan off and lubricate the bearing or sleve with some silicone spray reasemble add new paste to cpu block after cleaning with alcahol and you should be good to go for about $5.

While your at it clean your case fans and lubricate those and your gpu as well ... be quieter and be good for another however till your sadie once again.

....Was just told by the company who built my computer that the intel monitoring system is flawed and that it runs hot and is not accurate. He told me to uninstall it and not worry abot it, since I have about 3 fans running in my computer already. I'm still kinda paranoid though. What do you think?

If you use this PC for work then best be paranoid. Find some software to double check the temp. Eyeball the cooling fins on the heat sink, if clogged get a can of pressurised air to blow out the dust. Muts right do the easy things first then move onto more complicated solutions.

Here are 2 tools for cpu temp taken from our free utilities page

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

http://www.pureoverclock.com/download.php?det=6

....Was just told by the company who built my computer that the intel monitoring system is flawed and that it runs hot and is not accurate. He told me to uninstall it and not worry abot it, since I have about 3 fans running in my computer already. I'm still kinda paranoid though. What do you think?

Durka what are you using as a heat sink/fan (HSF) on your processor now?

Durka,

I'm not sure exactly what you're after but I've got a CoolerMaster Gemini II and a CoolerMaster Eclipse that are brand new in the box and never installed. They wouldn't fit in my rig due to the size of the RAM modules I'm using.

CoolerMaster Gemini II Review

CoolerMaster Eclipse Review

I also have a Zalman 9500 that was installed for a couple months but was replaced with a 9700. I would need to check to make sure I have all of the piece parts on that one.

If you're interested let me know and we can work something out.

Cheers,

X-Wind

They are heat pipes which contain a liquid which boils at low temp. The liquid in the base of the unit boils and moves as a gas to the fins where it cools to become a liquid again and goes back to the base. This process creates a circulation effect of sorts(whose scientific name I forget) which constantly draw heat from the heat source. Some CPU coolers are monsters invoking fear of cracked MoBo's but there is no risk if the PC is static, should you need to move it (in a car forinstance) the cooler would probably need to be removed.

Liquid cooling has more plumbing (typically plastic pipes) and uses a pump to draw the hot liquid to a radiator where fans cool the liquid down and then return to the heat source.

Don´t take it lightly and make sure to check the temp with a different tool. There has been several incidents with the stock intel cooler where the cpu fried because of the cooler malfunction. Don´t know why your retailer would say that crap cos its a known issue with the stock coolers.

Hey, I keep getting warnings that my processor is overheating, and it's made it impossible to do any work on my computer, or gaming either. What are your suggestions for a cheap and easy way to cool off my processor? Thanks

Make your room that has you PC in it a negative pressure room, remove the side panel from your case and then take Halli's fan and point it right at it. I would modify and install a rheostat on the fan that would allow you to change the speed a bit better than the 3 speed and off selector that most fans come with. STAY off of Teamspeak because with that fan running in the background, we wont be able to hear you anyways.

This should cool your PC down a good bit. Also try pouring ice water on it.

But seriously, I had over heating problems when I installed two new SATA HDDs. I measured the air temperatures in front, behind and on both sides of my box and found that the ambient temperature behind the case was significantly higher than every where else, but the over all temperature around the case was high enough to create temps inside the case that would cause intermittent problems.

My solution after trying numerous ways was to set a very small USB desk fan right next to the back of the case where the exhaust port is. The fan moves the hot air away from the area instead of it just hitting the wall and rising upward. When you move air, it cools. So moving the air also mixes it with room temperature air and cools it even further.

But keep in mind, if you start with warm or hot air, it will take less time for you system to heat it. And the less efficient your air cooling system will be.

I think and liquid cooling system, externally cooled to 45-50 degrees, would probably be the best best, maybe not the safest, because of potential leaking, but the best to cool.

What most people dont think about is that the temperature in their computer room is very likely to change over the course of a years time. We crank the heat in the winter and and crank the AC in the summer. (At least in America we do.) But we dont thing about this when it comes to our PCs. DO a degree the easy fix is to watch your ambient temperature in the room, and compensate with moving air. The down side is that moving air stirs up dust, so you may have to clean you rig out a couple more times than usual, but that is a small price to pay to keep everything running smoothly.

holy crap those things look huge! Does that eclipse one have liquid running through those pipes?

Both are fairly good size coolers (the Gemini holds 2 120mm fans) and actually can slide on rails a bit to get airflow onto your RAM. The Eclipse uses a duct to direct air onto the the RAM or voltage regulators depending on how it's installed.

And yes there is liquid in all heat pipes as Zeno described (supposed to be anyway). Here's an extract from a page which explains the principle:

"Heat pipes, which are small, sealed, and curved copper tubes, offer perhaps the most effective way to increase the thermal performance of a conventional heatsink at a reasonable price.

They are self-contained, phase-change cooling devices that take advantage of changes in heat to convert a liquid ? called the ?working liquid? ? into vapor and then back again. When a liquid changes phase to a vapor, the vapor absorbs heat, is transported away from the heat source, and then releases heat when it condenses back into liquid. The heat released is dissipated and the cycle repeats.

The easiest way to explain heat pipes is to break them into three sections, the evaporator section, the adiabatic section, and the condenser section:

In the evaporator section, the working fluid is heated to its boiling point and converted into a vapor that travels along the adiabatic section and on to the condenser section

Because the vapor holds almost all the heat while moving from one end of the pipe to another, the adiabatic section is named for a process in which little heat is gained or lost

In the condenser section the vapor is condensed back into liquid form, the heatsink dissipates the released latent heat, and the capillary wicking surface returns the working fluid back to the evaporator section"

If you decide to go this route we'll need to take some measurements to verify the fit.

If you're not really pushing that processor then the Zalman 9500/9700 will help you considerably over the stock HSF. In all honesty the two CoolerMasters are probably overkill.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

X-Wind

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

X-Wind,

I think the zalman may be the best for my system. I just don't think I will have enough room for the others. I don't know much about installing these things, so you tell me which is the best route. Here are the photos of my comp that I told you I was going to put up....

Side view with a cd to get you a decent measure

User posted image

Front View

User posted image

Your going to spend $50 insted of $5 on a Zalman ... your complete nutz !!!

Why ? your wondering i say that ... read on then :)

1 - Your not seriously over clocking

2 - You already have case fans

3 - Looks like the vent on you GPU ports directly out rear on 2nd slot

4 - Large fan on PSU is drawing heat out of the case from top anyway

5 - Not a lot of dust present inside case

Now since you know all this why not start with this and save some money

1 - Purchase a small can of silicone spray and lube all fan bearings just peel back sticker to reveil the bearing sleve.

2 - Obviously clean all fans off with a small paint brush

3 - Make sure your case fans are flowing from front to rear

4 - Remove heatsink and clean out and reattach with new paste

5 - Install some decent diagnostic tools like Everest Ultimate.

More than likely your onboard diode has stopped giving the correct info ... maybe ?

Now all of this will take you less than one hour and you wont have to remove the board, if you install any after market cooler you will need to remove the motherboard to attach the rear plate.

Thus adding time to your goal ... And after just installing the Zalman your probably going to be in the same position you are now anyway as it might be a combination of ALL your fans under performing .... So start with as you wanted "Cheep and Easy" solution first.

Then again go purchase a Zalman or better ones still like Ultra 120 or Typhoon while your there dont forget to get some nice decent Scythe case fans and a decent GPU cooler (Hr-03) and then your cooling will be complete .... then look into over clocking that old snotbox :)

That all should keep you busy for a few hours.

Durka,

If you want to try the 9500 I'll be glad to send it to you once I find the installation tool for it. I have the unit and the backing/mounting plates plus the mounting strap/screws.

Here's a link showing the dimensions and clearance requirements for the 9500

Since Thanksgiving is on Thursday it will be next week before I can send it off to you unless it's a crisis. If it is I'll do all I can to get it out by week's end.

Mutilater has some very good points so just let me know how you want to proceed.

The price of the 9500 will be a donation to SPARTA (and maybe a statue bearing the likeness of a Spartan Queen).

If it doesn't work out for you then just send it back (...of course the statue is non-refundable ;-)

I'll wait to hear from you or better yet catch you on TS.

Cheers,

X-Wind

ps: Send a PM with your

Ship To' information if you decide you want to try this cooler.

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~