Spartans Home

Win7-admin pre-approval

Ebden~SPARTA~

well, I guess i found the solution for you.

The UAC does not allow a permanent permission to grant authorization to a specific program, however exist a work around.

Go here:

http://www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/06/create-uac-white-list/

and follow the instructions related to the "Task Scheduling" procedure, don t care about the other stuff.

Although is for Vista, i just tested on my Win 7 and the procedure is the same.

You need to know which is the exact executable that your PC try to run when starts, which is asking for your permission.

You can find that info using MSCONFIG (type it on the tun line) and then check the list of programs starting at startup.

Once you recognize which one is the program, be sure you can find it browsing your PC ( be sure to have permission to see hidden files and folders)

Once you are sure you can find thhat file, you should un-tik it from the startup procedure in MSCONFIG because you are going to create a schedule that will launch that executable at start up. If you don t disable the automatic start up the 2 instances could overlap each other and create a conflict.

Once you are done with that, reboot your PC and test that that EXE is not starting again, now you can create the scheduled task to have it starting at start time with higher privileges, without the uAC to ask for your ok :)

It should perfectly work, let me know if you have questions :)

Ciao.

I just completed a test and i can confirm this scheduling procedure works just perfect.

I had a similar problem with my media center PC. When starting the PC under a common user account (not admin pvilige) I always had a confirmation for password at startup when ORB multimedia sharing system was starting.

Creating the schedule using my Admin profile, I gave the coondition to start the program also when the Admin is not logged in.

As a result now, when I start up my MCPC and log in as "visitor", which is the account I created for my guests in the living room, the system loads ORB in background with no permission required. It s so in background that I don t even know is running, but if i test it and I connect from another PC anywhere on the internet, myy media sharing works pefectly.

Amazing. Every day I learn something new, Thx Ebden for the opportunity ;)

I tried it a couple times and so far no-go. I'll have to look at the task sched. and see if I missed something. The part where I might be incorrect is whether the task runs at startup or at login.

When I boot up, I go straight to my desktop, so I assumed that a login of some sort happened by default. The MSI 'allow' screen is the first to pop up once the desktop appears, and it's there I wanted the task to kick in. I thought that if I went with startup, that the program would somehow 'miss' its appropriate startup procedure. Does that matter?

Ok,

U have to select "at start up", then be sure u tick to start it with highest provileges. Also find where it gives the option to have the event also if you r NOT logged in. I can t recall where it is, i am the office, working on crappy XP.

However, you said when u boot, u go straight to ure desk. Consider that this procedure to work requires that your account has a password. Will not work if your system log in without password

So be sure you edit your account and put a password. Create the task AFTER you created the password for your account.