Spartans Home

Project Reality: Battlefied 2?

Phisher~SPARTA~

I recently got back into this mod after steam had a 9.99 deal going for battlefield 2. The mod is constantly being updated. I only became familiar with SPARTA during ARMA, but wanted to know if you guys have played this before? By far the best urban combat experience I have had in a game to date. Teamwork is essential in winning, and if you rambo you will quickly get overwhelmed. For example, yesterday I was with a clan that was using the kind of coordination and commands that we strive for: Bounding, 360 covering, retreating under fire, smoke screens, suppression...

I remember this mod early on in BF2 but it has grown up, there are dozens of maps with multiple factions and vehicles. It's worth a look if any of you have never tried it or have forgotten. It certainly keeps me busy until OP: Arrowhead comes out.

http://www.realitymod.com/

panther_clv_01.jpg

close_support_bridges_02.jpg

performance_improvements.jpg

gameplay_fixes.jpg

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

I ve been playing this MOD for a lil bit.

I found it very impressive, however, at the moment my comments are:

1 - The only way to enjoy this game is having a solid team to play with. Casual games and casual players don t fit on the big picture of this MOD, I had no team to play with and after 2 weeks I was not motivated to play, learning all of the specific "realistic" options but without a team to play with.

2 - Project Reality is a sort of neverending BETA ongoing. It gets updated too often for my taste and each time is a new version for a couple of GB download. Trying to keep up with it was anooying in the past (almost 2 yrs ago), I am not sure if now is a bit more "steady" - I have nothing against patches but to me makes no sense to have too many frequent adjustments. Just give out a stable version and update every 2 or 3 months if you really need.

3 - Actually BF2 PR does not differ that much from Arma 2. Graphic is very similar and game style as well. Furthermore the ACE2 Mod for Arma 2 pushes the other realistic environment on Arma. At this moment I would consider Project Reality a sort of "clone".

It would be a great great game if you think, is basically FREE and you just have to buy BF2 at a bargain price of 10 bucks. So the thing is, if we were a brand new team, not ingaged in Arma, with the idea to get into a realistic military Sim, our choice would be BF2 Project Reality - It works, is almost free and has a high level of realism.

Unfoortunately all of us already spent our coins on Arma2, so I would not install a clone of it.

I'm one of the testers for A2PR. We're in the middle of gameplay testing now, refining the system and trying to separate old development habits from the limited BF2 engine compared to ARMA2. Also custom object and map dev work ongoing. It won't have the same amount of toys as ACE2, and it will not be compatible with any additional addons; the anticipation is a stand-alone formal gameplay type to force good teamwork, same philosophy as BF2PR.

It may or may not suit the SPARTA crowd, because it is also strictly PvP. The difference is the game should avoid much of the pvp chaos in Berzerk and other pubber ARMA2 servers.