Spartans Home

EMF-safe computers

How do we best limit EMF exposure from computers? I'm a nearly-new homeowner, and I've been considering an energy and EMF audit of the property. Then I thought of in-house contributors, and a powerful gaming computer seemed like a likely source.

Would I just line the case component interiors with tinfoil and call it good?

Would I just line the case component interiors with tinfoil and call it good?

Not an expert in these areas but by lining the case with tin foil, you'll effectively turn it into more of an oven that it already is and cook the components further.

Depending on fabrication of your case i.e. polymers / steel / aluminium, they will all have a factor in helping the case cool by absorbing the internal heat and passing it through the walls and into the outside air. Tin foil stops this.

My folks a while back put a layer of tinfoil in their oven, to catch grease / food spills and make cleaning easier. The oven was an integral electric model and what they hadn't realised was that as well as the top element there was one in the bottom.

The tin foil effectively trapped the heat in the oven base and killed it. When we took the oven out of the mdf housing the base had charred away from the heat!

I think the emf produced by your computer is much less than what you will find in the wiring of the house, circuit box, microwave oven, some light fixtures, etc. etc.

I would not worry about a pc since anything you do to try and reduce its emissions is going to damage it over time.

Even if you find a method of reducing the "oven effect", any use of tinfoil or bronze wire mesh (ie. on outside of case) is going to increase the possiblility of an electrostatic charge (dangerous for components) without a proper ground. If you do provide a good ground, it will deteriorate over time as oxidation occurs. That will increase the danger again.

Best to just leave it alone and accept your pc EMF.

Thanks, makes sense. I just thought of something when you brought up grounding. I could use an isolation case such as those used on ships. I have access to those cases, which have integral cooling fans and solid grounding tabs. The computer'll be lightning safe, too.

IPB Image

Why exactly do you want to reduce EMF?

It's a project I can obsess about. It would be better than my current obsession with Alaska.

That and cancer. Cancer's also bad.

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

Doesn't matter what you do, the orbital mind control lasers will still get you Ebden.

they will..

I had two choices:

On the grid:

IPB Image

And off the grid:

IPB Image

I wanted to get laid, so that meant shaving and electricity. I WILL escape the orbital mind control lasers one day; I'll move to a place where the bird's eye view from bing won't find me!

The biggest EMF footprint in your house will likely be your Microwave (depending on wattage). I have one that is so powerful that it when it kicks on the lights dim a bit.

That's because the wiring in your house sucks.

So, what about EMF in the rest of the place? I've heard as well that if we use a woodstove, and the neighbors use electric heat, that our house will be inundated with EMF. Something about homes linked in series (like flashlight batteries), the description was beyond my brain-grade.

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

yeah my micro is 1000watts lol running 2 PC right next to it not a good idea lol found out while running all 3 it kicks the breakers ahahhaa..

That's because the wiring in your house sucks.

So, what about EMF in the rest of the place? I've heard as well that if we use a woodstove, and the neighbors use electric heat, that our house will be inundated with EMF. Something about homes linked in series (like flashlight batteries), the description was beyond my brain-grade.

Don't know how big a EMF has to be before it interfers with a person but when laying cabling for a telecoms switch I read that the cables should run 10cm away from any power cables to avoid interference which I guess would be caused by the EMF.

I wouldn't live in a house too close to overhead power cables but I'm not sure even a tech filled home produces all that much.

Don't know how big a EMF has to be before it interfers with a person but when laying cabling for a telecoms switch I read that the cables should run 10cm away from any power cables to avoid interference which I guess would be caused by the EMF.

I wouldn't live in a house too close to overhead power cables but I'm not sure even a tech filled home produces all that much.

We're moving soon, so we'll have to see what it's like in the new place. Here, on the second floor, it's strong enough that we'll pick up some sort of city-use radio broadcasts through the TV cable, transmitting right through the TV speakers! Not quite audible enough with the associated static to figure out who we are listening to.