Spartans Home

So, the FREE Mechwarrior 4 release is nearly here.

DaiSan

Just a heads up to anyone that might be interested.

If you was into MechWarrior in it's many versions, the last released version was MW4 Mercenaries. A good MOD group called Mektek did many maps, missions and tournaments and have been developing many addons and additions.

They have managed to secure and release, FOR FREE, MW4 with their expansions, maps and tweaks (such as HD and Widescreen support).

This is being release through their proprietary MTX software, which is like the SixUpdater for ArmA II.

The public release is due any day now so if anyone is interested in playing a REAL MexhWarrior game then let me know and I would be more than happy to give you more details.

If you want to check it out then you can head over to The Mektek Forums or Studio Mektek

Dai out !

@ JH:

This is a standalone game + expansions (depending how they r gonna release)

I played MW4 extensively in a clan in europe and a few of my fellow teammates were cooperating with MekTek when they did the updates and creation on new mechs.

It was pretty nice and we played for a couple of years intensively on a world wide league called Netbattletech.

Unfortunately Mektek in an eccess of "creativity" at certain point screwed the game big time. They modded too much and they created some Mechs which were not even original from the Battletech Universe. And some mech they added from the BT Universe were creted quite unbalanced.

As you know on Mechwarrior there are 2 major factions, IS and Clan. Thre s always been a fierce rivalry between IS fans and Clan fans, because in the way the game was played on the NBT Servers, there was a severe limit in technology you could use being either IS or Clan. So far so good, because this add some realism to the combat, but then came a problem.

MekTek scred the Mod and as result the technology assigned to the Clan was way tougher than the one IS. true to ta that the literature concerning Battletech says Clan tech is advanced compared to IS, unfortunately they broke the balance and there was a huge debate against MekTek and their project.

After this short recap of a story made of passion and blood for over 2 years of fierce Planetary Wars, I can tell you I am not too much excited about MW4 mod released bt MekTek, because they made that game way too much arcade compared what a Mechwarrior game should be, and a bit unbalanced toward Clan, although is possible they revised that aspect after such long time.

I might give it a shot, however I am not too excited.

The creators have the satisfaction and credentials associated with a major release, if you want to build games for a living, you have to have some kind of major project on your resume.

Also, Gamers tend to build their own games when the gaming companies fail to do so.

Mechwarrior has been neglected by game producers for years. So the die-hard players have created their own.

I think it is available now. Go to downloads

http://mtxgear.mektek.net/MW4/

I tried the d/l, but something's fishy. It took forever to start, but finally did after several force-quits of the hung .exe. Also, once its window was open (MTX) I wasn't sure what file I had to connect to for it to run. How's it work?

MTX is the downloader for the free MW4 game.

Open MTX, go to 'Games Available' tab and highlight Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries.

There should be a button on the bottom right that says download (not sure of the wording as I have already downloaded).

The torrent should open and the game will download and install. 1.7gb so may take a while B)

MTX is the downloader for the free MW4 game.

Open MTX, go to 'Games Available' tab and highlight Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries.

There should be a button on the bottom right that says download (not sure of the wording as I have already downloaded).

The torrent should open and the game will download and install. 1.7gb so may take a while B)

It hangs horribly on the startup.

Anyhow, got it running, and clucked the tab, but nothing showed. THere must be some sort of file-link (I assume this is a torrent?) that I need to download. Off to work now anyway, I'll try tonight.

If you are Mechwarrior "maniacs" like me, don t be too excited by this release. If you are not like me, then enjoy a decent game for free :)

With that said, the game is very interesting and with the modded maps and over 100 mechs for sure gives a lot to play around with.

Reason why I will not play it:

- True to say not even the original MW4 was a "sim", but the Mektek version did speed up the action, which is just not what a Mech game is supposed to be. There is no feeling you are piloting a massive machine with an average weight of about 60 tons. It does not even try to approach realism.

- Mektek modified the Jump system and now there are mechs able "fly" with almost indefinite long jumps. This is not supposed to happen. There are no such mech in Battletech and furthermore there is no way that not even the smallest Mech weighting 20 Tons can fly without wings! That has the aerodinamic abilities of a briick, and should fly like brick.

- Many of the "extended pack" of available Mechs have been designed with "collision points" issues. This was an old issue reported to mektek many times. This means that some mechs have incredibly higher resistence than others just because the "damage boxes' on their structure are very difficult to hit. This is not a real factor due to particular shape, it s just a programming mistake. Mektek was never too much interested to re-design those mechs. Maybe they did it now, but I would not bet on that.

So, this is not really a Mech experience, it s more a game that is a sort halfway between what MW concept was and what happened to MW when Microsoft created "Mech assault" for Xbox, the most horrible mech game ever.

The beta 2.0 of mechwarrior is a big improvement over 1, it still has issues but another release is on the way.

I am playing everyday now if anyone is interested. People are starting to fight in groups now so it is alot more fun

• 1 year later...

I played that for very long time. Now waiting for the new MWO, i don t want ruin the fresh flavor of a new generation game with this old fart.

MW4 was not the best incarnation of MW but it was the best we had out at that time(several years ago). I would not suggest anyone to go back on it "today".