Spartans Home

Before you buy a New TV?

Understanding MEDIA PLAYBACK

Many people inc. me never quite grasped the reasons why some things are better, always having a block of info missing to solve the puzzle and give the answer. Well I was watching a series of vidoes on console wars (which is better) and found this, it is a true pleasure to listen to, as the guy explains the missing link to one of these media questions, why DVd/ media films judder when the camera pans.....

Ignore the Youtube title it is really about media & playback on TV's.

I will add more to other points of buying a TV in the 21st century....

Correct Batwing !! :)

eg:

my TV is 100Hz plus it has something called '600hz Sub Field Motion'

24frames (24Hz) goes into 600 = 25 times...

but anything works in multiples, 24/48/72/96/120/ etc etc 240 you get the idea from the Youtube video.

Amazingly I always asked why a panning scene jittered on TV, now I know....

Sub field is the filled in fields to make up for the true frames & actual fames available, called SUB FILED because the original frames are called 'FIELDS'.

sub field.

http://www.tvlampsnbulbs.com/2009/03/what-...ld-motion-mean/

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/tv-audi...type=prd_detail

Whiich however open another debate...

We watch movies at 24 frames per second and we need to try to optimize out TVs for that. however, we are pretty happy with all of our HD content running att 24 FPS...

So why in the hell do we struggle to hve games at 80, 90 and above fps ??

Theoretically whhatever is aroound 30 and steady is perfectly fine. Morover, the human eye does not see anything above 30 FPS and instead our monitors have the same problem discussed above, they work uusuually at 60 Hz, capping the best operational speed at 60 FPS, so, the more you go faster, the more you have that video distortion that gives you horizontal lines when you are panning a scene left to right.

Solution is forciing the V-Sync and activate the Triple Buffering to force ggames to respect the 60 hz.

So really, thhe reason why you want to have a supe-dupe videocard, is not to push an overloaded quantity of frames on your monitor, but to be able to run the Max quality annd effect possiible at a steady 60 FPS.

Also, iif you achieve a steady 30 FPS your eyes will be very happy as welll (and you don t need to activate the V-Sync)