Spartans Home

What Blu-Ray Player?

I'm thinking of replacing my DVD player next to my TV with a modern one with HDMI, looking at the shops I've noticed that the prices of home Blu-RAY/DVD players are low (sub £100), any recommendations?

Only prerequisite is HDMI 1.3a PORT, have Region Free hack (RPC1) & £100 ($150) max budget....

PRO's / CON's your thoughts.... should I be looking for any other feature.

We have a Samsung blu ray player.

Sorry i cant find you a link at the moment as i cant remember the model number.

It has a USB connection so we update the firmware every now and again when a new one is released, never looked into region free but im sure this can easily be found and installed via the same method.

The only problem i have with it is there is a couple of minutes wait sometimes when loading a disc.

We have a Samsung TV aswell so we can control the bluray player aswell via the same remote which is good.

I will see if i can find the model number for you though.

ok this is the one we have Viii

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-BD-P1400-B...4035&sr=1-5

its one of the older models as its slightly chunkier but works lovely and updates are a doddle.

Look into the DBC6900, it has the same stuff as the BDC5500 plus the composite audio outs AND built in wireless. No need to buy, install, and configure the usb wireless adapter for it. Oh and a plus is that it is 3D ready, so no having to upgrade firmware if you don't want to. You probably will though.

It also says that it has ultra fast load times. I don't know.

I am with Krambo on the buying the same brand as your tv, especially Samsung, The remotes work together which is a plus unless you have an uber Logitech remote, then that point is moot.

The down side of this player is that it is $400 US. So save your pennies.

I have been really looking at this one because it does pretty much everything I want including stream netflix movies. Which I am now using my Studio 17 Notebook through HDMI to do.

Does the performance take a hit because of the transfer rate or no?

Why not just build a HTPC with a BR drive in it (along with a NAS or storage server) instead of using the popcorn hour?

There are some really nice and inexpensive components that would give you the flexibility of a PC but with the look of a HT setup. Why spend the money on a popcorn hour when a PC can do that and more. Please explain.

I can tell you why I bought one.

Its simple, its relatively cheap, it plays everything so far.

My HTPCs were more expensive.

The C200 interface on the other hand isnt pretty unless linked to a PC and music isnt easy to play on it either.

I am in the process of building my 3rd HTPC now, it will be powerful enough to play games with, but will be much more expensive.

Because in a nut shell, drop a couple of big drives in your popcorn 4TB. And you have a machine that can pretty much play anything with 1000s of movies on the unit.

Also set-up the box with you newsgroup details tag and bag and there ready on PCH when you get home.

I have got mine where I can send a .nzb via my mobile phone, and be time I am home the movie's there waiting.

I can tell you why I bought one.

Its simple, its relatively cheap, it plays everything so far.

My HTPCs were more expensive.

The C200 interface on the other hand isnt pretty unless linked to a PC and music isnt easy to play on it either.

I am in the process of building my 3rd HTPC now, it will be powerful enough to play games with, but will be much more expensive.

Because in a nut shell, drop a couple of big drives in your popcorn 4TB. And you have a machine that can pretty much play anything with 1000s of movies on the unit.

Also set-up the box with you newsgroup details tag and bag and there ready on PCH when you get home.

I have got mine where I can send a .nzb via my mobile phone, and be time I am home the movie's there waiting.

Okay I'm sold. LOL

@Zeno, what have you done with the old ones?? I am looking for one that would be good for my NetTV in the bedroom. It doesn't need a BluRay but it needs to look "pretty" according to the wife. If you'd be interested in selling an old one, I'd be interested in seeing what you've got.

@anyone, does an External BluRay reader via USB 2.0 lose any performance or anything versus an internal hooked up to a SATAII port internally?

If no, then I have found my solution for the time being. I just need to find a program that plays BR discs as VLC and others do not atm. PowerDVD sucks but works and a basic version comes with most drives on newegg.

I am pretty much weighing my options along with functionality and price.

@ Medic:

Before being sold, consider this:

I built up an HTPC 3 weeks ago and I spent roughly 350 bucks.

I got everything from Newegg, choosing only combo deals (discount) with free shipping.

Probably those deals are nomore available, however, if u dig it, u can build a nice looking piece able to perform way better than a single BD.

However, u don t need a fancy machine, jsut keep component essential.

I got an AMD single core 2.7 Ghz at 40 bucks, 2GB ram ddr2 800, Radeon HD 5450 at 40 bucks ( u really need it to be sure ure system play HD without hiccups), a basic MB at about 60 bucks with 5.1 onboard (and it sounds great on my Logitech Z 5500, not included on price of course), a very nice black glossy case, quite fancy and simple to live in the living room, 750 GB WD hd, good to start, a beutiful Adesso media keyb wireless with trackball onboard and a PSU 500 W, BD of course is a reader frm LG (i m not planning to burn any and i will not be able to run 3D at the moment so i kept it easy and effordable)

All of this as I said roughly 350 bucks, then added Win 7 Home, and this lil baby not only is a movie, dvd and bd showcase but allows guests to surf the net, their facebook, stream from Netflix, Hulu and whatever else, plus all the music on my network and from internet, annd pictures and... u name it.

I cant be happier and i dont see one reson to buy an appliance doing 1 job when at the same price I can have it all :)m

Edited by Batwing

@ Medic:

Before being sold, consider this:

I built up an HTPC 3 weeks ago and I spent roughly 350 bucks.

I got everything from Newegg, choosing only combo deals (discount) with free shipping.

Probably those deals are nomore available, however, if u dig it, u can build a nice looking piece able to perform way better than a single BD.

However, u don t need a fancy machine, jsut keep component essential.

I got an AMD single core 2.7 Ghz at 40 bucks, 2GB ram ddr2 800, Radeon HD 5450 at 40 bucks ( u really need it to be sure ure system play HD without hiccups), a basic MB at about 60 bucks with 5.1 onboard (and it sounds great on my Logitech Z 5500, not included on price of course), a very nice black glossy case, quite fancy and simple to live in the living room, 750 GB WD hd, good to start, a beutiful Adesso media keyb wireless with trackball onboard and a PSU 500 W, BD of course is a reader frm LG (i m not planning to burn any and i will not be able to run 3D at the moment so i kept it easy and effordable)

All of this as I said roughly 350 bucks, then added Win 7 Home, and this lil baby not only is a movie, dvd and bd showcase but allows guests to surf the net, their facebook, stream from Netflix, Hulu and whatever else, plus all the music on my network and from internet, annd pictures and... u name it.

I cant be happier and i dont see one reson to buy an appliance doing 1 job when at the same price I can have it all :)m

Thanks, I have priced four different builds using newegg's wishlist feature. From low end to high end with dedicated audio and sound. Middle of the road making only a few compromises it will run me about $550 for the box, which is good in my opinion. The only problem that I am finding is that I would like to have t run dual boot. One into windows desktop and the other in to a media program such as media center (which I know is shit compared to some others.) If anyone has thoughts...

I was also thinking about dropping a SSD in for the OS and then a 1TB drive for storage. The SSD would def. make it boot faster. This of course drives the cost up quickly.

I might just wait until I do my gaming rig upgrade this coming winter. It will be two years in January and it will be time. The parts from my old rig would be a great HTPC and wouldn't cost me any extra. This versus spending the money soon and then waiting till next summer for a new Gaming rig. Right now, the rig is running good and it keeps up with the newer games fine enough.

well that s a great idea. Using the rig u have now, cannibalizing some componets and make it a HTPC, would save you soome money for sure.

Allow me to suggest u a few things tho:

An HTPC can be a real barebone system, if the only thing has to do is handling media annd a basic internet surfing.

What you DO NOT need:

1 - SSD - This system will be virtually empty. It will have a minor amount of applications running and is not gonna suffer and boot delay. If you hhave a copy of Win 7, it boots in 20 seconds on my HTPC, maybe less. If you have to use XP, it would boot longer, but instead of shutting down, use the SLEEP option and your resuming time is almost immediate with XP as well.

2 - Dedicated sound card - All of the 5.1 , 7.1 on-board solutiions are perfectly fine when it comes to media. What makes the difference is the Surround System you have. I can tell you the BD experience, with the on-board 5.1 and the Z 5500 is excellent, but is the surround system making the difference, not the sound hardware.

3 - a bunch of RAM - Really 2GB ram for an easy going HTPC is more than enough

4 - Hi-end CPU - Your CPU has to be fast, around 2.5 and above but don t really need any multy-thread or multy--coore, because is not gonna use 'em. It will do 1 job at the time, annd have to be able to do it well. Anything like an old P4 around 3 Ghz or some new AMD single core will do the job flawlessy.

5 - Supe-dupe PSU - This is a low-consumption system, CPU and videocard are low wattage. Buy a goood PSU just to be safe, but don t waste money in super power

Now, what you DO NEED is:

1 - nice looking case - if this is gonna be a part of your liviingroom, where u have guests and ppl, is part of your furniture and appliances, find what you like and match your stuff. Shuttles could be goood solutions, but remember hoow difficult is to put stuff together when u have no room to operate and chheck for low-profile videocards able to perform, because you may have a bad surprise when u try too install a card that doesn t fit :) - I would go (as i did0 with an almost standard MIDI, able to be configured for horizontal standing (desktop style instead of tower style) so that is big enough to host evverything Ii need, easy to build and fit like a VCR coomponent on the media center furniture.

2 - very good videocard - this makes the difference. I would go with the new ATII line. I got the 5450 passive cooler at 40 bucks. I don t care has DX11, or Eyefinity ( lol, it does !).. This is a low end low wattage card, does only 1 good thing, MEDIA, and that s why i use it, don t try anything else, it s a 40 bucks card :)

3 - a great wireless media keyboard and/or a remote control - You are gonna uuse this thing from your couch, u doon t wanna have a mouse around ! You wanna have a nice looking Keyboard, still matching your style and furniture, a nice piece of tech, able to controol the full thing. I got a vvery nice Adesso model with a lot of mmedia controls and trackball, 700 buckks, probably the most expensive piece in my build, but I love it, and my guests at home are very pleased by the fact they can play around the TV like a real PC, from the couch :)

Put all of this together, get a nice large HD, eiither 1 TB or less, depends on your budget, and a nice BD reader (do you really nneed a burner??) and i cannot believe you get a budget over 400 bucks.

Good hunting, have fun ! :)

... Just a final note.. I was reading my post and i really do understand i have to throw out of the wiindow they keybord I have on my main system !

This ia Microsoft Reclusa keyb, spent 70 bucks on it and is the most massive piece of shit i ever got, only reasoon I still have it is because it s pretty and match my blue lights !!! hehehahhe

Edited by Batwing

And about the Media center software...

I find the media center on Win 7 perfectly fine and nice to operate. There are other free media center software you may want to look at, I tested some, but they are not that much intuitiive to use, especially when you set them up.

Also, you might takke a look at thhis new free internet browser, optimized for TV use. It is called Kylo

http://www.kylo.tv/

annd is pretty nice. Ii am testing it in these days, it is interesting and is free, if you don t like it, unistall it ! lol..

a very cool feature Win 7 has is the zooming option. Click Win and + or - together annd you will zoom in and out your screen, great feature to see what the hheckk you are looking at from your couch !! hheheh

Giive iit a try, it s pretty neat :)

Hi,

I use a couple of the little revo 3600 and 3610 with the Nvidia ion chip. One as a net top and one as a media box yes you do need an external drive. Also since I have a home server and everything is loaded on that I don't need much HD space on the PCs. Both play everything great and can be fitted to the back of a TV with the included mount.