Spartans Home

Famous Marine Quotes

DaCapt

Subj: Famous Marine Quotes

"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"

(Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)

"Retreat, hell we just got here!"

~ Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC at the Battle of Belleau Wood WWI

"Of the Marines on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue"

~ Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz Iwo Jima WWII

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."

~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller; Korean War

"The raising of the flag on Iwo Jima, means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."

~ James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy

"Tell that to the Marines!"

~ President Franklin D. Roosevelt after the attacks on Pearl Harbor

"Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem."

~ President Ronald Regan

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on the defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

~ RAdm. "Jay' R. Stark, U.S. Navy

"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons."

~ Admiral David D. Porter, USN

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"

~ General Douglas MacArthur, US Army

"The man who will go where his colors will go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to Democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionary, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world...he has been called United States Marine."

~ Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Fehrenbach, US Army in "This Kind of War"

"Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and , generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet."

~ An Anonymous Canadian Citizen

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!"

~ General Pershing, US Army

"The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand".

~ Richard Harding Davis, war

correspondent (1885)

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. LORD, how they could fight!"

~ Major General Frank Lowe, US Army

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army" ~ Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

"Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights."

~ Navy Times

"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines."

~Captured North Korean Major

"The Marines are careful, brave fighters...they were like hunters, boring in relentlessly without fear. I never heard a wounded Marine moan."

~ The U.S. Army General Staff

"They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with the really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," Which mean "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake."

~ Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia

"We have two companies of Marines running all over this island and thousands of Army troops doing nothing!"

~ General John Vessey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave"

~ Elmer Davis (1890-1958)

"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

~ Omar Bradley

"To observe a Marine is inspirational, to be a Marine is exceptional."

~ Unknown

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there."

(Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak, USMC, April 1965.)

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."

(Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, 1962.)

"Retreat Hell! We're just attacking in another direction."

(Attributed to Major General Oliver P. Smith, USMC, Korea, December 1950.)

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"

(Captain Henry P. "Jim" Crowe, USMC, Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943.)

"Once a Marine, always a Marine!"

(MSgt Paul Woyshner, a 40-year Marine, is credited with originating this expression during a taproom argument with a discharged Marine.)

"I can't say enough about the two Marine divisions. If I use words like brilliant, it would really be an under-description of the absolutely superb job they did in breaching the so-called impenetrable barrier. . .Absolutely superb operation, a textbook, and I think it'll be studied for many, many years to come as the way to do it."

(General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, USA, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 27 February 1991.)

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world."

(General Douglas MacArthur, USA, outskirts of Seoul, 21 September 1950.)

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."

(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"

GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking!"

FERDINAND FOCH

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"

CHESTY PULLER, USMC

"The more MARINES I have around the better I like it!"

GEN. MARK CLARK, U.S. ARMY

"I want you boys to hurry up and whip these Germans so we can get out to the Pacific to kick the s**t out of the purple-pissing Japanese, before the Goddamned MARINES get all the credit!"

Lt General George Patton, US Army 1945

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

GEORGE ORWELL

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"

MAJ. HOLDREDGE

"A ship without MARINES is like a garment without buttons."

ADM. DAVID PORTER, USN

"The MARINES have landed and have the situation well in hand!"

RICHARD HARDING DAVIS

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency: we are winning!"

COL. DAVID M. SHOUP, USMC

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence."

GEN. JOHNSON, U.S. ARMY

"The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a MARINE CORPS for the next 500 years."

JAMES FORRESTAL, SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

"Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"

GySgt. DANIEL DALY, USMC

"We're not retreating, Hell! We're just attacking in a different direction!"

GEN. OLIVER SMITH, USMC

"I have just returned from visiting the MARINES at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"

GEN. DOUGLAS MACARTHUR, U.S. ARMY

"Teufelhunde! (Devil Dogs)"

GERMAN SOLDIERS, WW1 at BELLEAU WOOD

"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards won't get away this time!"

CHESTY PULLER, USMC

"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!"

GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of MARINES. LORD, how they could fight!"

MAJ. GEN. FRANK LOWE, U.S. ARMY

"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the AMERICAN MARINES."

CAPTURED NORTH KOREAN MAJOR

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Unknown

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence."

GEN. JOHNSON, U.S. ARMY

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Unknown

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue."

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz Iwo Jima

"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the AMERICAN MARINES."

CAPTURED NORTH KOREAN MAJOR

"The MARINES have landed and have the situation well in hand!"

RICHARD HARDING DAVIS

"If I had one more division like this First Marine Division I could win this war."

-General of the Armies Douglas McArthur in Korea,

overheard and reported by Marine Staff Sergeant Bill Houghton, Weapons/2/5

"The Marine Corps is the Navy's police force and as long as I am President that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's."

Harry S. Truman

"The more Marines I have around, the better I like it."

General Clark, U.S. Army

"No one can say that the Marines have failed to do their work in handsome fashion."

Major General Hagood, U.S. Army

"There is no military body in our country of higher efficiency than the Marine Corps.

They take great pride in their profession. They never let things slack a bit."

Rear Admiral C.M. Wilslow, U.S. Navy

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;

they can't get away from us this time."

Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed."

Chesty Puller, USMC

"Marine Corps integrity is doing that thing which is right, when no one is looking"

Col. Colin Lampard, USMC

"Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary."

General A. M. Gray, USMC

"Ensure that no Marine who honorably wore the eagle, globe and anchor is lost to the Marine Corps family."

-General James L. Jones Jr., Commandant of the Marine Corps

"They (Marines) have given us our only real fight." Commanding Officer of the British, War 0f 1812

"The American Marines are terribly reckless fellows... they would make very good storm troopers."

Unidentified German officer at Belleau Wood.

The US Air Force Chief-of-Staff would never be called -- Airman

The Chief-of-Naval Operations would never be called -- Sailor

The Commanding General of The US Army would never be called -- Soldier

BUT the Commandant of the Marine Corps would be proud to be called a United States Marine

"Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights."

Navy Times; November 1994

"We are United States Marines, and for two and a quarter centuries we have defined the standards of courage, esprit de corps, and military prowess."

Gen. James L. Jones, USMC

"My only answer as to why the Marines get the toughest jobs is because the average Leatherneck is a much better fighter. He has far more guts, courage, and better officers... These boys out here have a pride in the Marine Corps and will fight to the end no matter what the cost."

-2nd Lt. Richard C. Kennard, Peleliu, World War II

"It's a funny thing, but, as years go by, I think you appreciate more and more what a great thing it was to be a United States Marine... People will tell me what a shame it was I had to go back into the service a second time, but I'm kinda glad I did.. Besides, I am a U.S. Marine and I'll be one till I die."

-Ted Williams

"I like Marines! In fact, I LOVE Marines! They make great cover [positions] during an assault!"

-"Unknown" Army soldier in a bar talking down a Marine who was obviously in love with himself

"The Army actually know how to use their brains. Marine brains may as well just be paperweights."

- Army Times

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."

~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller; Korean War

thats my favorite crazy psycho gotta love them for there service though.

Any group that faced down 10,000 screaming japs swinging samri swords and won the battle has my respect. Of coarse the use of air/water cooled browning machine guns made their job alot easyer. As long as they kept the water can full they could shoot all day and all night long.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

SUN TZU

Keep your friends close , And your enemy's closer !!

But in the ACE server ; aaaah that aint gonne work hahahah. :o