Spartans Home

TacDom 26.03.10

custard~SPARTA~

AAR short

First AO complete ball ache we died a lot but achieved objective

Second AO much easier even with less ppl ingame very proud of guys that played tonight I thought we did very very well with the difficult realism of the mod

The only negative thing I would say is squad needs to stay together and everyone and I mean everyone moves too fast, at the first AO we had enemy between squad members because lead elements moved too fast. I accept shoot n scoot is the best tactic but not if we have not killed all enemy in 360 before scoot.

Looking forward to more of this cannot say how much I enjoyed tonight ty

Just a recommendation for when you guys play ACE, I have found that the ACE AI like to hide A LOT. They go in buildings and wait for you to go by then flank you. This is either by shear intelligence or dumb luck. The point of the story is to clear EVERYTHING, lest you get shot in the back.

You're not wrong Medic last night we had AI take a couple of shots at us then run away very annoying they used to just sit there and die lol

speaking foremyself i think ACE gives the perfect platform to use fast air(though Zeno aint keen :( ) I was ingame with Custard Sun nite and we used it to great effect. its funny watching the infantry run like mad after a strike lol.

Given the amount of armour we encounter now in the larger AO's i think it could be of benifit.

thats my two CENT's anyway :)).

Its difficult to use tanks cos its such a bitch to repair them I far prefer fast air support for ground troops and good use of the mortar guy :D but thats just me.

I do think using the Bradley is soo much fun and think it would be a good idea to use that type to clear the remnants at the end of an AO.

Its difficult to use tanks cos its such a bitch to repair them I far prefer fast air support for ground troops and good use of the mortar guy :D but thats just me.

I do think using the Bradley is soo much fun and think it would be a good idea to use that type to clear the remnants at the end of an AO.

Using tanks in ACE2 effectively means also trucking along the various support assets, which is tricky given either the number of players on or the number of support assets available. It makes for a more interesting game esp. if respawn times are increased or disabled, but succesfully coordinating that asset use is generally a fail outside of private matches or a few select well-run servers.

But in dom w/ACE2 is the engineer capability still in-tact? I've had a run of sick kids at home and still haven't downloaded the 1.0 ACE.

These are just some thoughts while I am stuck in my mini-lab at work. So please take this as nothing more than theory crafting and personal assertions based on observation and real world experience. In other words... a grain of salt.

What makes this game, imho, is the fact that you can gauge the amount of resources you might need to accomplish a mission. You can either take more than needed, taking time and effort to protect those assets, or just go in light and attempt to finish with just enough or less than needed.

The downside is an overall lack of consequence. If we take it as a Mil-Sim, we really can only use it for tactics because we aren't thinking: loss of human life (either friendly or foe), budget (the cost involved in allocating 'over-kill' resources to an objective (air and ground assets such as FOBs, armor, aircraft), the cost of gear and weapons (repeat weapons, ammo, gear, vehicles, etc. due to re-spawns). These things add up in warfare, and therefore true mil-sim aspects, other than pure tactics, goes out the window.

This being said, I think focus should go more towards the completion of the objective with as few resources as possible. Those resources include respawns, armor, weapons, etc. Anything that costs money should not be taken lightly. This would simply add more to the realism and deter the temptations to run and gun and promote more team-play that we already employ. Survivability is key here. If a piece of equipment would give you an edge based on intelligence provided or possibly provide a higher survivability rate then by all means use it. But be warned, those assets in the ACE environment make you a huge target. Risk/benefit analysis is warranted in most cases.

Above all this, have fun.

The downside is an overall lack of consequence.

Ah, here's where the liberal arts graduate-turned-modder can excel. ARMA2 needs an addon that estimates a cost for each asset and soldier, and some sort of military bean-counter gauge as to what's a justifiable expense/cost/use, or however the military allocates resources. Add in whatever level of politics and social support/discouragement filters to ground troops on a daily basis, presented by a a numbnuts entrenched journalism intern, and adjust troop morale (translated to running speed, engineering efficiency, etc). Success objectives will be measured both by the completion of the mission and the associated political/social/economic cost.

Now that'll make this a mil-sim. Soldiers all pissed that their hummers don't have appropriate armor, that the water-feed on their gas-masks don't work, and that buddy hasn't had a jerk for his girl in a week.

Implement this in a campaign, and the assets available in the next mission will change based on how 'happy' the U.S. public is about the mission. Luck out and find evidence of genocide? Find a US body mixed among the Chernarussian dead? New armor! But blow up a church within a given radius of that journalism intern, bad juju.

This doesn't count as a political discussion, does it? All hypothetical and intended to be marginally humorous. :P

Ah, here's where the liberal arts graduate-turned-modder can excel. ARMA2 needs an addon that estimates a cost for each asset and soldier, and some sort of military bean-counter gauge as to what's a justifiable expense/cost/use, or however the military allocates resources. Add in whatever level of politics and social support/discouragement filters to ground troops on a daily basis, presented by a a numbnuts entrenched journalism intern, and adjust troop morale (translated to running speed, engineering efficiency, etc). Success objectives will be measured both by the completion of the mission and the associated political/social/economic cost.

Now that'll make this a mil-sim. Soldiers all pissed that their hummers don't have appropriate armor, that the water-feed on their gas-masks don't work, and that buddy hasn't had a jerk for his girl in a week.

Implement this in a campaign, and the assets available in the next mission will change based on how 'happy' the U.S. public is about the mission. Luck out and find evidence of genocide? Find a US body mixed among the Chernarussian dead? New armor! But blow up a church within a given radius of that journalism intern, bad juju.

This doesn't count as a political discussion, does it? All hypothetical and intended to be marginally humorous. :P

HAHA, I was thinking about all of this actually, but I know me, and I know that I would get really cynical very fast.

One thing that I think would sum most of it up would be a hurry-up-and-wait mod. This would be where you have only 30 seconds to pick your kit and be in the truck before it leaves, then take a 2 hour trip to the middle of nowhere, once you get there, you find out your orders changed but no one told the platoon commander. So you take another two hours through enemy territory to get to your AO, then once you get there the enemy is gone because they knew you were coming all along and your detour gave them enough time to displace. After all this you 'detain' and question some locals through a translator who is from a rival clan and doesn't give two shits about what this guy saying. After about 3 hours of this you find out less than you knew in the first place. After all this, you realize that your PVT in charge of supplying the vehicles didn't fill the fuel cans and now you can't get back to base because you were idling the hummv's to prevent problems, and by doing so have created a new one. So we have to wait for a fuel truck convoy to get here to refuel vehicles all the while risking more lives because of general incompetence at nearly every level of the chain of command.

Once we get back to base, we find out that Burger King has been removed from Kandahar to make room for more Brass and retards.

Another day of being hot as hell, risking our lives, not getting to shoot at tangos, or blow anything up, and then coming back to base to eat crappy, Army field chow.

Damn, I love the Army. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Embrace The Suck. Hooah.

Anyone want to play my mission now?

HAHA, I was thinking about all of this actually, but I know me, and I know that I would get really cynical very fast.

One thing that I think would sum most of it up would be a hurry-up-and-wait mod. This would be where you have only 30 seconds to pick your kit and be in the truck before it leaves, then take a 2 hour trip to the middle of nowhere, once you get there, you find out your orders changed but no one told the platoon commander. So you take another two hours through enemy territory to get to your AO, then once you get there the enemy is gone because they knew you were coming all along and your detour gave them enough time to displace. After all this you 'detain' and question some locals through a translator who is from a rival clan and doesn't give two shits about what this guy saying. After about 3 hours of this you find out less than you knew in the first place. After all this, you realize that your PVT in charge of supplying the vehicles didn't fill the fuel cans and now you can't get back to base because you were idling the hummv's to prevent problems, and by doing so have created a new one. So we have to wait for a fuel truck convoy to get here to refuel vehicles all the while risking more lives because of general incompetence at nearly every level of the chain of command.

Once we get back to base, we find out that Burger King has been removed from Kandahar to make room for more Brass and retards.

Another day of being hot as hell, risking our lives, not getting to shoot at tangos, or blow anything up, and then coming back to base to eat crappy, Army field chow.

Damn, I love the Army. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Embrace The Suck. Hooah.

Anyone want to play my mission now?

If you can script in a few animations and give a regular play time under 20 minutes, then sweet! It'd be a fun spoof of sorts to let cycle through the community. Weren't there some MW2 videos posted also doing a 'real army' sorta' thing? Better yet, just look on youtube. There's a funny bit with a couple bored soldiers trying to see who has a better ninja-flying jump kick. (add it to the while-u-wait animation, plus crickets, or whatever other sound fills the desert, probably not crickets).

If you can script in a few animations and give a regular play time under 20 minutes, then sweet! It'd be a fun spoof of sorts to let cycle through the community. Weren't there some MW2 videos posted also doing a 'real army' sorta' thing? Better yet, just look on youtube. There's a funny bit with a couple bored soldiers trying to see who has a better ninja-flying jump kick. (add it to the while-u-wait animation, plus crickets, or whatever other sound fills the desert, probably not crickets).

Do Camel Spiders make any noise? LOL

...or get accused of the illegal occupation of Polana by OPFOR, I'm going to quit :lol:

Funny you note that, Fleepee's campaign that I'm helping with (beta at OFPEC.com), has something on that line in a later mission.

@FLEEPEE-WOULD YOU POST ON THESE FORUMS, DAMMIT. I know you're reading this. B)

At least we dont have someone doing troop inspections.

Ha! Check these guys out:

JSOC-GAMER

10th Special Forces Group

In poking through servers I found this group a couple months ago. They run a tighter-than-virgin clan,squad,group,whichever.

To even 'join' this group you have to pass a number of tests on the hardcore mil-realism bent. I saw one yesterday, helped 'em as a harrassing opfor/insurgent while one fella' RE-tested to join. For my part, 2 hours playing, two shots fired, two helo's down, two semically (semi-epically) awesome, especially the final hit on a departing knighthawk with full-squad and our arrested 'warlord.' Ten minutes hiking to a hilltop, 5 minutes waiting for the helo to depart, and 20-odd critical seconds for the Mando-missiles igla to lock on. That slowly intensifying tone, the confirming growl, the flash and blur of the shot, a beautiful arc of missile-exhaust to the right, a knighthawk just merging out of visual giving an ugly jerk, and that satisfying sound of engines turning down on a helo far, far, too high for it's own good.

And I didn't even have to face an inspection or provide an AAR. Good guys all of 'em, I enjoy playing on their servers, but my jezuz take it easy!