Spartans Home

Taking back the Half Kilometer

SirSmokalot

First off if there's a feeling this is politically charged I understand its deletion. I for one don't see the politics but military bureaucracy at its best in the US military as I once served in it.

Read on and you will find this to a fairly interesting read based on an Army Major's findings that the US infantry in Afghanistan is "mildly" under equipped and trained for the task at hand in Afghanistan.

An obscure graduate school paper by an Army major that took the service to task over poorly training and equipping Soldiers for the fight in Afghanistan is causing quite a stir amid key service officials.

Special Operations Command has been picking the paper's conclusions apart with a fine-tooth comb. It is now required reading for Army weapons experts, and the service's top gear buyer has read it cover-to-cover....

http://www.military.com/news/article/army-paper-prompts-look

You can read Major Ehrhart's Paper here:

http://www.scribd.com/full/27765477?access...l0i8xdi4f5zo2tb

I have to say its a long read but you will come to understand the controversy behind the history of the common infantry rifle and carbine in the US military. The Authors paper is very witty and I think he has some great points that those in higher echelons in the US military are trying to downplay. I for one never understood how a 5.56mm round would cause casualties and become so unstable it would "tumble" or fragment. To me being a vet and fired the M16A2 (with M203, heavy SOB), I wondered how combat effective it was as I never (thankfully) had to fire my weapon at another human being or hostile for that matter. I wondered what stopping and casualty causing power it would actually have. Read on in the paper and he gives some interesting conclusions based on personal experience.

What do you think?